Swindowll's Living Insights New Testament Commentary Issue...

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 21
Bill McVicker | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 4 2020 2:25 PM

Just saw my Swindoll's Living Insights New Testament Commentary has been converted... but when I add the commentary's to a tab and set the Link Group.  It doesn't follow like other commentaries... Also none of the verse hyperlinks in the commentary work (they don't take you to the verse that's marked)  

My library looks like this 3 of the commentaries whose titles are "Swindoll's Living Insights New Testament Commentary: Hebrews, John and Mark" are not marked as part of the series, yet they work as expected... the others which have only the book of the Bible under title... and the series filled in correctly... do not work

Posts 11341
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2020 2:52 PM

Bill McVicker:
Just saw my Swindoll's Living Insights New Testament Commentary has been converted... but when I add the commentary's to a tab and set the Link Group.  It doesn't follow like other commentaries... Also none of the verse hyperlinks in the commentary work (they don't take you to the verse that's marked)  

From https://www.logos.com/wordsearch/catalog it seems that all of those works have been converted to edition:eBook resources. They probably show up as type:monograph in your library. This means they have not been converted to "real" bible commentaries, because they lack the bible index. Thus they can't work like other commentaries and scroll along or be opened to a specific bible passage. FL has automatically built this lower-functionality type of resources for you to be at least able to read your resources in Logos, use full-text-search and copy-paste etc. Full functionality is planned, but will take time. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 21
Bill McVicker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2020 3:23 PM

Thank you for your reply... I actually thought the same thing... but they all show up as type "Bible Commentary" in my library

Posts 21
Bill McVicker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2020 4:39 PM

Thanks for everyone's help... I thought (mistakenly) that if the type was Bible Commentary and not monograph that that would be enough to link, but adding the edition column I now see some are Logos Research while the majority are eBook.  Good to know!

Posts 11341
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2020 3:34 AM

Bill McVicker:

Thanks for everyone's help... I thought (mistakenly) that if the type was Bible Commentary and not monograph that that would be enough to link, but adding the edition column I now see some are Logos Research while the majority are eBook.  Good to know!

Prior to the WS deal, all edition:ebook resources used to be type:monograph with no subject in the resource metadata and no meaningful index at all (some rare exceptions may have the page index, and one systematic theology text by Mark Driscoll had been re-typed to "systematic theology" at one point).

This has changed now in that some of the resources brought over from WS initially as edition:eBook have been given their future type (such as "bible commentary") already. Some may even have (a portion of) their indexes and links generated, making them more functional than plain eBooks. Unfortunately, Faithlife have not (yet) seen the value of exposing index information and other helpful metadata to the library, but at least the indexes are now shown in the resource information, when they are present:

Just keep in mind that by and large neither the edition nor the resource type drive the functionality, but the index. For example, I have two commentaries on Matthew coming over from WS, both type:"bible commentary" and both currently edition:eBook. The EGGNT volume by Robert Yarbrough - left - has been produced with a bible index and thus already works like a full-fledged Logos resource (minus the links to referenced commentaries, lexicons etc., and maybe some nice formatting) whereas the Exegetical Commentary by Spiros Zodhiates - right - lacks bible index so far and thus lacks the functionality we expect from a commentary in Logos. I'm sure FL are working on that, and will ship the missing functionality over time - prioritized according to user interest.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS