Offensive Grudem Second Coming Headline

Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2684
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2020 10:19 AM

Meh. I used to work on Madison Avenue and did copywriting for some really famous clients. Look up the word hyperbole and realize that since the phrase did get your attention that was entirely the point. 

Would I have used that wording. Probably not, but FL doesn't always vet their material well. But they are hardly alone in the matter. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 7839
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2020 6:10 PM

mab:

Meh. I used to work on Madison Avenue and did copywriting for some really famous clients. Look up the word hyperbole and realize that since the phrase did get your attention that was entirely the point. 

Would I have used that wording. Probably not, but FL doesn't always vet their material well. But they are hardly alone in the matter. 

I like how Accordance promotes their sales.  Sometimes they sound silly, but they (as far as I've known them) have not used Biblical or theological catch phrases to promote their sales.

DAL

Posts 825
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2020 6:30 AM

The forums need a facepalm emoji.

They really do.

JRS has left the building.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2020 6:39 AM

DAL:
I like how Accordance promotes their sales.  Sometimes they sound silly, but they (as far as I've known them) have not used Biblical or theological catch phrases to promote their sales.

JRS can have yet another face-palm, but I agree. I noticed that years back, Accordance (and OT plus Laridian) seemed to be tuned in a lot better. My impression at the time, was FL was an evangel world ... they talk that way. I'm forever impressed, like naming your dog, 'Dog', that Christianity was a function of the Jews avoiding YHWH. Now days, Christians like to throw the name around with happy abandon. Marcion would be scowling.

But I am a big supporter of 'if it's ok with me' then, everyone else needs to agree.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 825
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2020 7:05 AM

Facepalm was not directed at DAL or any other individual, rather, at the subject of the entire thread - just another way of saying, "Really?".

JRS has left the building.

Posts 3047
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2020 2:57 PM

Here's a triple face-palm just in case anyone needs one.  It only works on those over about 50, though. And, it predates the actual use of the palm...it's more of a face-pincer-grasp.

<rimshot>

(...desperately trying to inject humor into the situation...)

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 7839
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2020 3:15 PM

Aaaah...ah...😂😂😂

Posts 7839
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2020 3:21 PM

Ah...aah...😆 

Posts 2872
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2020 9:21 PM

I am not for making a big deal out of it, but it is obvious that many people dislike the "second coming" headline.  I doubt the use of the phrase attracts many people, and it does turn away some.  If I were the author, I would not want my advertisement to be a turn off.  Why would any writer?  

I would say pointing this out does the excellent writer a favor.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1814
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2020 4:55 AM

Mike Childs:

I agree Michael. The "face palms" and telling the OP that his thread lacks common sense, to me is appalling. I have once again been reminded that this is not a friendly forum.

Posts 5153
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2020 6:14 AM

I spent a lot of time in a place where the retort...

'Catch yourself on'

was considered a friendly reminder to review the position you are taking.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 956
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2020 7:40 AM

I think of it as an attempt to be a cute play on words. I don’t think it  was a good idea, given it could be interpreted as equating it to the importance of the Second Coming. But I doubt that this was their intention.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 7839
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2020 7:52 AM

David Wanat:

I think of it as an attempt to be a cute play on words. I don’t think it  was a good idea, given it could be interpreted as equating it to the importance of the Second Coming. But I doubt that this was their intention.

It reminds me of a Rock station back in Dallas Texas where they had a second Corvette giveaway and they called it “The Second Coming.” It was on billboards and radio commercials.  Even then people thought it wasn’t a good idea to use those “catch phrases.”

DAL

Posts 69
Tom Vidal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2020 10:58 AM

I agree. Also, I thought it was funny/clever. To be specific, the allusion here is to an event--as @Darrell wrote--one that is long awaited. It does not imply any kind of equivalence between this book and the Son of Man whose return all of us here eagerly await, even while were are preparing to celebrate His birth! There some irony there, isn't there.

Posts 5127
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2020 3:53 AM

Rick:

Mike Childs:

I agree Michael. The "face palms" and telling the OP that his thread lacks common sense, to me is appalling. I have once again been reminded that this is not a friendly forum.

I think you are misunderstanding the dynamic of what's been said. I don't think anyone has spoken ill of the OP'er. The face palms have to do with the decision of FL advertising to inject Messianic references into a marketing campaign, not (as far as I can see) Bob B's decision to bring this to the forum's attention.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 3285
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2020 6:06 AM

Since I don't use his first, I'm not concerned about his second or third, fourth, fifth, etc. there are better reads and in my estimation better quality theology books to spend my time with. IMHO

Posts 4349
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2020 6:33 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

Since I don't use his first, I'm not concerned about his second or third, fourth, fifth, etc. there are better reads and in my estimation better quality theology books to spend my time with. IMHO

If you don't mind me asking... what are your favorites? I grew up on Grudem so I usually go there first with MacArthur's 2nd

Posts 7839
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2020 6:59 AM

Mattillo:

Whyndell Grizzard:

If you don't mind me asking... what are your favorites? I grew up on Grudem so I usually go there first with MacArthur's 2nd

Good question!

Maybe we can change the course of the thread to something more positive 👍😁👌

My go to first are:

1. Norman Geisler Systematic Theology 

2.  Jack Cottrell 

3. Grudem

4. MacArthur

5.  Wilhemus The Christian’s Reasonable Service

6.  Millard

7.  Bird Evangelical Theology 

Posts 1233
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2020 7:02 AM

I did find it somewhat offensive, but +1 to this:

Whyndell Grizzard:

It's kind of infuriating that he's become, to a large extent, the default in the field simply because of the title (though also admittedly good organization). "Pastor, I loved your class! I got a systematic theology book to read!" "Let me guess which one..." Roll Eyes

Mattillo:

Not leaving the broader Reformed tradition, you can do better just in the Bs alone: Barth, Brunner, Berkouwer, Bavinck, even (L.) Berkhof.

A nice newer one: https://www.logos.com/product/187941/christian-dogmatics-an-introduction 

Sonderegger's is beautiful.

https://www.logos.com/product/53043/systematic-theology-volume-1-the-doctrine-of-god 

Only the first volume is out but the second is in production.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2020 7:19 AM

Sean:
It's kind of infuriating that he's become ...,

You guys are making me nervous. Arizona's economy is heavily dependent on our major industries ... mining, swimming pools, and evangel-propagation. Plus, of course, our Logos-istas for the Mac.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS