Mobile App on macOS (M1 chips)

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 28902
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 12 2020 11:56 AM

There have been a post or two about the mobile app coming to macOS via the new M1 chip. For those unaware, Mac is transitioning from intel chips to their own "Apple Silicon." A consequence of that change is that iOS apps can now be installed on these new Macs. 

Here are the apps showing up in the Mac App Store: 

You will notice a couple things. First, "Logos Bible Study Tools" has "open" next to it. That is because I have already downloaded it on my Mac. Faithlife eBooks has a "download cloud" icon because I have "purchased" the app prior, but it is not installed on this device. Biblia Logos (Spanish version) shows "get" because I don't own it. Second, the apps currently say "Designed for iPad. Not verified for macOS." Hopefully FL will optimize the app where needed and have that removed. 

As is true whenever the mobile app is installed, a new "device" is created in your Faithlife account (see next screenshot). You can check your own list by clicking HERE. For what its worth, I encourage you to keep up on this list. Sometimes updating iOS creates a new "device" in your account. By managing this list periodically, it is easier to maintain. This is the list which is used in the desktop app to manage downloads on mobile, so keeping up with the list is important. NOTE: I have changed the names so that I know 1) when it was installed and 2) which channel was used (beta or stable). If a new "device" is created, it will once again be somewhat generic as you can see for my new "device" (third one). 

I didn't create screenshots when I first opened up the app and I don't want to show screenshots of my desktop right now, but the app opens up in a floating window which is resizable. Other than that, the setup is exactly what you have when you install the app for the first time on your iPad. Keychain recognized my passwords, so it was simple to log in.

Here is what I love about having the mobile app on my Mac: When I write, I prefer to have my word processor open along side a single panel with my bible (or commentary). The desktop app is superior for "research," but once I am writing, I want something different. I have never been fully satisfied with the desktop app in this area. The best I could get was to create a "floating panel," but it still wasn't exactly what I wanted. The mobile app on Mac <may> have solved that and I am ecstatic. Here are two sample screenshots: 

To create this layout, I pressed and held on the green "full screen" button on the mobile app and chose "Tile Window to Left of Screen." Apple's Pages was already open to a blank document, so I clicked on it and it opened on the right. By turning off the formatting panel in pages, I can move my cursor to the right side of the screen and have it slide open when needed. This is perfect for my needs.

I don't know how much work would be needed to optimize the mobile app for Mac, but this is promising.  

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 28902
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 12:17 PM

Two other things: 

1. The icons are nearly (but not quite) identical between the desktop and mobile versions. I am thinking of changing the mobile app icon so that I can distinguish between the apps. I believe there is good advantage for FL to keep the icons similar. I don't know if it is possible for an "optimized" version to automatically use a different icon when installed on Mac. If so, then this is a request to do so. Smile

2. here is a screenshot of the app menu in the dock: 

Posts 28902
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 5:44 PM

Highlighting and turning pages in paged view are a bit tricky but can be done.  

Two finger swipe moves between tabs (open books). To turn pages, click the trackpad and then use a one finger swipe. To highlight, click a word, pause, then drag. 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS