Wordsearch user new to Logos-Can I put purchased Logos books back into old WordSearch?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2
Robert Stites | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 20 2020 4:07 AM

I still prefer my WordSearch app and just purchased 3 special priced books from Logos website.

Is there a way I can download them for WordSearch or does the conversion only go one way from WordSearch into Logos?

the price of Logos is NOT something I wish to invest in at this time. 

Robert

Posts 3983
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2020 4:25 AM

Conversion only goes one way, Logos books aren't compatible with WordSearch.

There will be a free version of Logos 9 Basic this spring.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 5087
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2020 6:43 AM

Robert Stites:

Greeting Robert and welcome to the forum community.

I am a little confused by the statement above.

As far as I am aware there will be no (financial) cost to Wordsearch Users for using Logos. The new Logos set up should be broadly similar in capability to their Wordsearch programme. In due course pretty much all the resources that they have in WordSearch will be available in their Logos account without a penny changing hands.

Sometime, in the spring, Logos 8 users will be able to upgrade to Logos 9 without paying for anything else.

What is 'the price' that is concerning you?

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 4691
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2020 12:46 PM

PetahChristian:
There will be a free version of Logos 9 Basic this spring.

And there already is a free version of Logos 8: https://www.logos.com/product/168880/logos-8-basic

"The saints are the true interpreters of Holy Scripture. The meaning of a given passage of the Bible becomes most intelligible in those human beings who have been totally transfixed by it and have lived it out." - Pope Benedict XVI

Posts 273
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 7:11 AM

Robert Stites:

I still prefer my WordSearch app and just purchased 3 special priced books from Logos website.

Is there a way I can download them for WordSearch or does the conversion only go one way from WordSearch into Logos?

Robert

Hey man...  I came from WS also and I loved the simplistic approach in WS and ran into what I call "Steep Learning Curve" of Logos system and  "Sticker Shock" of the prices in Logos. WS prices were much more appealing to me personally. And many times when I am doing some study, it's still easier for me to bounce over to WS and just do it. Having started with Parson's Quick Search and then migrate into WS, WS was like putting on an old comfortable coat. It just seemed natural.

Having said that, I am learning Logos and as I learn and use it, I should slowly become more comfortable in it.

My suggestion is: I think we need to work in Logos as much as we can and learn as much as we can, because "one of these days" something's gonna happen and WS won't work. So if you bought books in Logos... learn to use them in Logos and don't try to go backwards. As has been said, Logos books don't work with WS anyway...

And for now though, I am thankful by having both (WS and Logos). I can still get things done I need to get done.

And last, I think you have a fantastic resource here with all the forums. I have found them to be a great help with friendly and caring people answering all my questions. 

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 5087
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 8:34 AM

xnman:
WS prices were much more appealing to me personally.

xnman:
because "one of these days" something's gonna happen and WS won't work.

And thereby hangs the tale.

And I am still confused as to why a user, who was content with their Wordsearch Library, currently has access to their full library in Wordsearch, and will soon have their full library in Logos, is over-concerned about the price of the occasional resource that they may fancy purchasing to keep their library up to date?

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 273
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 8:58 AM

Mike Binks:

xnman:
WS prices were much more appealing to me personally.

xnman:
because "one of these days" something's gonna happen and WS won't work.

And thereby hangs the tale.

And I am still confused as to why a user, who was content with their Wordsearch Library, currently has access to their full library in Wordsearch, and will soon have their full library in Logos, is over-concerned about the price of the occasional resource that they may fancy purchasing to keep their library up to date?

Well ... not to sound as being confrontational.... but I may be the only person in Logos that has to budget everything I do... and not making big money like most...  my money is short all the time...   and it's a given that we cannot add to the WS library and no updates in WS... so we are left with the only option of doing all that in Logos. 

So .... if I want more features or more library or more of whatever Logos provides... well... maybe I'm not overly concerned... but concerned to say the list.  And believe me... there is a difference in the WS and Logos prices. Don't get me wrong...  I know we don't have much of a choice...!

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 5087
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 9:17 AM

xnman:
Well ... not to sound as being confrontational....

Don't worry, I am glad of a debate where what is felt is said, and put in a logical way.

xnman:
And believe me... there is a difference in the WS and Logos prices.

And thereby hangs the tale... WS obviously were not running a viable business model (unless the owners just sold up and moved to the Bahamas). For the huge majority of us, money is rarely a surplus commodity, but we undermine society if we always reap to the edge of the fields.

The question is not so much.'What price does Faithlife charge?' rather 'Do Faithlife charge a fair price?' and probably 'Is the price worth paying for me or the organisation I work for?)

I think that it is axiomatic that WS didn't charge a reasonable price because the price they charged left their users in the lurch. If the 'Sticker Price' that Faithlife charge is unfairly high then there is the alternative of waiting for a sale which includes the desired items. Sales tend to come thick and fast in Faithlife land.

Perhaps I do have more available money than you but I have always operated the policy that if I really 'need' it I buy it for the asking price. If I might need it I wait until it is as cheap as chips.

How do you budget between what you want and what you need?

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 2
Robert Stites | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 9:23 AM

I have shut off email replies to myself as I was not asking for conversation and criticism.  I now know that I have V8 free and will receive V9 at some point.  Thanks.

Posts 273
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 11:17 AM

Mike Binks....

How do I budget? An example... In the wintertime we run our heater, in the summertime we run our A/C. We pay the bill... Because we don't know what it's going to be.

But  we save to buy a car....  we save to buy clothes...  we save to buy most things, as most people do. 

But back to the issue I stated.... coming from WS it was a sticker shock on the prices, especially when I looked at the packages... 

Robert Stites.....

I wish you well in your venture with Logos.  I think you will find it will do what you want it too.... but so far.... I haven't found where it will drive my car???  lol. Sad

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 5087
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 11:34 AM

I do apologise, xnman, I wasn't enquiring about your household budget but about the strategy you use when deciding which library resources you buy.

I try to buy only what I need at full price, but to hoover up more tangential stuff either as free books or very heavily discounted offers.

I find that I need very little. Can afford quite a few bargain offers. Probably £10- £15 month (real cost 30% less as tax deductible). That which I desire has to wait for birthdays, book grants or other fortuitous circumstances.

My luxury is 'Faithlife Connect' and the 'three free' books it provides each month.

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 273
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 12:34 PM

Ah Ha!!! I see you are from Eng-land!!! I'm from USA...  No need to apologize... we were just discussing things... No problem.

As far as buying on Logs... we have the same personal outlooks. I'm not on 'Faithlife Connect'... but do wait for sales, freebies, gifts and such. Frugal is not evil... and has always seemed a good way to go for me.

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 5087
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2020 12:20 AM

xnman:
Frugal is not evil... and has always seemed a good way to go for me.

O dear! I was going to let the conversation lapse but that phrase kept nagging at me.

I agree that Frugal (in terms of careful, self-controlling and not wasteful) is not evil and, indeed, should be thought of as a virtue.

On the other hand, I firmly believe that any purchase (or business transaction) has to be balanced. It is the seller's responsibility to set a price that gives them a living and allows the business to develop. Is this where WS fell down in their responsibilities?

It is also the purchaser's responsibility to be confident that any deal they do isn't taking advantage of the situation with the other party. When my wife returned to work we engaged a cleaner. The market for that sort of work is unfortunately, oversupplied in our economy.

Once we had chosen our cleaner we asked what they wanted to be paid. The amount they would work for was unsustainable so we increased it to a level that we could, in all conscience, live with.

I think that sort of decision is also Frugal, Christian and it just protects society. 

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 70
John Simpson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2020 7:47 AM

In 2003, when Wordsearch merged with Bible Explorer and Wordsearch 7 came out, books in the older Wordsearch 5 STEP format were transferred to the new CROSS format. Any new books were in the CROSS format and would not work with the old Wordsearch 5.

In 2011, when Wordsearch purchased Quickverse, books in the older Quickverse STEP format were transferred to the new CROSS format. Any new books were in the CROSS format and would not work with the old Quickverse.

In 2020, when Faithlife purchased Wordsearch, books in the older Wordsearch CROSS format were transferred to the new LOGOS format. Any new books were in the LOGOS format and would not work with the old Wordsearch.

What has been is what will be,
and what has been done is what will be done;
there is nothing new under the sun.    Ecc 1:9

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS