FAITHLIFE IS MORE LIKE A BUSINESS

Page 1 of 3 (47 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 46 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1
Liep Liebenberg | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 30 2020 12:33 AM

I agree with some of the forum readers, Faithlife is more after money, that spreading the word. Now where can I find a passage in the Bible where Jesus asked for money before he would preach or heal. They remind me of Microsoft, they have the monopoly and if you want to get something to help to prepare for a sermon, you need to pay.

Posts 1233
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2020 1:19 AM

FaithLife, precisely, is a business. https://faithlife.com/about 

Posts 660
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2020 1:19 AM

Hi Liep, welcome to the forums.

Logos is really only as good as it is, because they charge for the features and resources. There is free software out there as an example which many people use happily, however in comparison with Logos, it has limited resources, and limited features, so I for one am glad that they do charge.

Also, Logos have payment plans as an option, also have you looked at https://connect.faithlife.com/ which has a subscription for features and some resources in Logos?

You are able to leave your investment to someone else when you retire from this world or earlier if you wish, for a small $20 fee, which I think is an amazing gift to leave someone.

It seems to me the investment in the software and features over a lifetime of ministry/study is very minimal per year.

Posts 31326
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2020 1:27 AM

Liep Liebenberg:
I agree with some of the forum readers, Faithlife is more after money, that spreading the word. Now where can I find a passage in the Bible where Jesus asked for money before he would preach or heal. They remind me of Microsoft, they have the monopoly and if you want to get something to help to prepare for a sermon, you need to pay

This sounds like it isn't a discussion of the software:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Please abide by the following guidelines as you interact on our forums.

1. Please keep your discussions focused on Logos Bible Software: our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc.
  2. Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics. Use one of the many web forums intended for these kinds of discussions.
  3. Please treat each other with the love, courtesy, respect, and kindness that you would if you were sitting in your living room together.
  4. Please do not use our forums to
    • sell or give away anything or link to anything you’re selling or giving away—including Logos products
    • promote or link to competitors
    • promote affiliate links or discounts
    • point people to other places that sell Logos-compatible products
    • advertise yourself, your business, your ministry, your website, etc. (a tasteful link in your forum signature is acceptable)
    • post Logos Coupon Codes. If you are aware of a special promotion Logos is running online, you are welcome to link directly to the promotion.
  5. Please search before posting. It’s likely that someone has already asked your question.
  6. Please help others follow these guidelines. If the problems continue after you’ve given a gentle reminder of these expectations, please click “Report Abuse” under “More” or send an email to forums@logos.com. If a user is a repeat offender, we may temporarily suspend their account. If the offenses continue, we reserve the right to permanently ban the offender's account from the forums either by shadow banning it or blocking it entirely.

Thank you for your cooperation. Enjoy discussing and learning about Logos Bible Software.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 7861
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2020 2:38 AM

You are correct! Faithlife is a business and if they didn’t sell they couldn’t produce the software nor its features  👍😁👌

Posts 432
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2020 3:18 AM
Liep Liebenberg:

I agree with some of the forum readers, Faithlife is more after money, that spreading the word. Now where can I find a passage in the Bible where Jesus asked for money before he would preach or heal. They remind me of Microsoft, they have the monopoly and if you want to get something to help to prepare for a sermon, you need to pay.

I think it's sad that ANYONE thinks that Faithlife is a non-profit ministry. Of course they are a business! Do you think that Bob is a Bill-Gates billionaire, paying for all of this out of the goodness of his heart? Do you think that Faithlife's programmers, scholars, support people, etc., donate their free time on weekends? Good grief. Besides, even if Faithlife WERE a ministry and not a business, they would still require – and deserve – financial support. You're right, Jesus never charged anyone. That same Jesus said that "the worker is worthy of his support." His apostle, Paul, said, "those who proclaim the Gospel should get their living from the Gospel" (First Corinthians 9:14), and "you shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain" and "the laborer deserves his wages." (First Timothy 5:18).
Posts 5165
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2020 4:41 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:
That same Jesus said that "the worker is worthy of his support." His apostle, Paul, said, "those who proclaim the Gospel should get their living from the Gospel" (First Corinthians 9:14), and "you shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain" and "the laborer deserves his wages." (First Timothy 5:18).

Not to mention Hezekiah 2:30 'you shall not feed the Trolls for fear of unremitting evil assailing your head'

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2020 5:49 AM

Mike Binks:
you shall not feed the Trolls

I suspect the 'troll' is FL Marketing ... it's that time of year. 'Oh, please! Disaster will strike and evil will assail your head, unless you spend your last farthing on the Logos 9!  Did we mention what might occur without Logos 9 .... oh, good.'

For a company that markets itself as free software, each major upgrade has its marketing recipients crying out in pain ... money, money ... they demand my money!

Just like the famous tent-maker of Christian yore ... 'Yes, kind sir, last season's tent may well burn in a conflagration, unless you update to this season's unbelievable gorgeous tent with ALL these features (silver and above .. no bronze)!'

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 67
Bob Price | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2020 6:16 AM

I'm surprised that this is even a question.  Yes, of course FL is a business.  There is no way in the world that all of these fantastic resources would just be given away.  The software itself is a marvelous achievement--shouldn't those who worked so hard on it receive payment for their work?  The fact is that FL does give away an amazing amount of stuff, for which I am very grateful.  I have a huge library which did cost money, but not nearly as much as if I had purchased all these as physical books.

Try this:  go to any bookstore that sells books in which you are interested.  Go up to the clerk and ask him/her if you can just walk out with any books you like without paying.  I'm guessing they will not agree to that.  Does that make them bad people?  No, because that's the business they're in, and they'd like to feed their families as well.

Faithlife has produced an amazing piece of software that enriches our lives in our study of God's Word.  The free version alone is probably better than what you could have purchased only a few years ago.  I am thankful for the number of resources that are available for free, but I certainly don't begrudge FL for attempting to make a profit.  If you do, there's nothing forcing you to buy their products.

Posts 741
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2020 6:18 AM

The OP troll only has one post, so...

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 151
Kevin S. Coy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2020 6:20 AM

"If you do, there's nothing forcing you to buy their products." 

Yes

“The greatest single cause of atheism...is Christians: who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.” Brennan Marshall

Posts 5165
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2020 6:27 AM

Denise:
I suspect the 'troll' is FL Marketing ... it's that time of year. 'Oh, please! Disaster will strike and evil will assail your head, unless you spend your last farthing on the Logos 9!  Did we mention what might occur without Logos 9 .... oh, good.'

Aren't we all becoming a tetchy lot these days? Perhaps its being 'covid couped' that is fraying the ragged edges!

All marketing helps and hinders, and it all should be taken with a 'pinch of salt'.

Denise:
For a company that markets itself as free software, each major upgrade has its marketing recipients crying out in pain ... money, money ... they demand my money!

Except that they don't demand more money. Some folk soldier on with L7 without parting with a single sou. Of course, they extol the benefits of us spending more and are light on telling us that nothing is lost by not doing so. I guess they would like to be able to pay off the mortgage and give their kids at least one decent meal a day (capitalist swine that they are).

For your pinch of biblical salt (guaranteed to be the same chemical composition as the condiment Lot's wife became) just send $10 and a square of blue paper - Your pinch of salt will be sent by return post.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2020 7:18 AM

Mike Binks:
Aren't we all becoming a tetchy lot these days?

Probably where we part company, if indeed. 'Business' is ancient ... not a modern contraption meriting worship. If you go into akkadian, their rules of the road almost exactly match today's, 4,000 years later. And their expectations for being 'up-front' are ancient as well. The diety of the Israelites even got excited about it, later matched by a guy from Nazareth.

But modern Christianity is very quick to protect 'business', no matter the behavior. Why the need for the school-yard pile-on in this thread? Accusations of 'troll'??

Posts 960
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2020 7:46 AM

Denise:

But modern Christianity is very quick to protect 'business', no matter the behavior. Why the need for the school-yard pile-on in this thread? Accusations of 'troll'??

Speaking as someone who’s used it since it was Libronix, I think it’s an unjust accusation. Logos is professional software that provides invaluable tools for research. The price reflects that. I think a lot of critics who don’t know what it costs (labor, acquisition of rights) expect the company to sell the product at a price far below expenses. The thing is, one doesn’t have to buy the Gold or higher package. One doesn’t have to upgrade from 8 to 9. FL doesn’t break the product for those who won’t upgrade.

The accusation of being dishonest or deceptive certainly needs to be substantiated beyond grumbling about price. Yes, Faithlife is a business, not a charity. But thinking the accusation unjust ≠ “protecting business“ in an undiscerning justification 

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 67
Bob Price | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2020 8:43 AM

Denise:

Probably where we part company, if indeed. 'Business' is ancient ... not a modern contraption meriting worship. If you go into akkadian, their rules of the road almost exactly match today's, 4,000 years later. And their expectations for being 'up-front' are ancient as well. The diety of the Israelites even got excited about it, later matched by a guy from Nazareth.

Denise,

Could you elaborate a bit on what you meant here?  I'm sorry, but I don't think I follow what you're trying to say.  Thanks!

Posts 348
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2020 8:58 AM

Ooookaay.... Let's say I changed and went to the monthly route...  would I get access to more books free? I understand I get more features... tell me true... :)

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2020 9:03 AM

Bob Price:
Could you elaborate a bit on what you meant here? 

Well, in its simple form, 'Logos as a business' was of far greater importance above, than (probably) a Christian who is likely wound up, maybe got carried away, and would benefit from some pointers at FL's untrumpeted (by FL Marketing in the L9 roll-out) tendency to give Bible study material away for free.

Now, as regards Mr Binks who I admire, who normally would calm the gentleman down, and who is quite intelligent and educated, I compared the behavior and daily values of the worst known empire (utilized by the diety of the cosmos to literally obliterate Israel), to modern day Christianity's embrace of 'business-no-matter', suggesting the Assyrian (4,000 years ago) might be the superior.

Yes, I know all about business. But Christian priorites are compatable with making a profit.

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2020 10:15 AM

Denise:
But Christian priorites are compatable with making a profit.

Would you mind sharing what a Christian's priorities should be?

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2020 10:22 AM

xnman:
Let's say I changed and went to the monthly route...  would I get access to more books free?

Faithlife Connect subscribers can get 3 free books per month (from a list of 5,721 books).

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 348
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 30 2020 10:47 AM

Thanks PetahChristian

xn = Christan  man=man

Page 1 of 3 (47 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS