BUG: BWS invoked on gloss but not lemma

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 30935
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 3 2021 11:34 PM

In Wu, Andi, and Randall Tan. 2010. Cascadia Syntax Graphs of the New Testament: SBL Edition. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press. a Context Menu on the Greek Lemma does not suggest a Bible Word Study. However, the Context Menu on a English gloss does suggest a BWS. This seems strange or backwards to me. Is this really intended and if so, why?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2460
LogosEmployee

MJ. Smith:
a Context Menu on the Greek Lemma does not suggest a Bible Word Study

This offers the BWS when I make sure the lemma is selected on the left side of the context menu. Can you provide a specific example and screenshot?

MJ. Smith:
However, the Context Menu on a English gloss does suggest a BWS

It's valid to run a BWS on an English word.

Posts 30935
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2021 2:04 PM

But lemma is not offered on the left hand side of the menu - only selection.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2460
LogosEmployee

That makes sense. You are right clicking on the Lexical Form, not the surface text (to which all the other data is attached). Only Lemmas or English words are supported in the BWS. Lexical words forms of original language words are not supported.

In other words, try clicking on column to the left.

Posts 30935
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2021 2:33 PM

Excuse me but what is a "lexical word form"? I know the distinction between manuscript and lemma, stem, or root but I've not seen lexical word form except as a synonym for lemma.

Posts 2460
LogosEmployee

Ah, so the problem is that the "lexical form" column doesn't have a lemma reference associated with it.

I've written up a case for this.

Posts 30935
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2021 2:54 PM

thank you

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS