Question about formatting of DCH

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 465
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 6 2021 3:28 AM

Can someone explain to me what the numbers stand for after the Hebrew word? Every lexical entry has the same format - a Hebrew word followed by some numbers: x.x.x

מַצָּה I 53.0.4 n.f. unleavened bread

David J. A. Clines, ed., The Dictionary of Classical Hebrew (Sheffield, England: Sheffield Academic Press; Sheffield Phoenix Press, 1993–2011), 444.

Posts 544
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2021 4:25 AM

From the Introduction:

"2. Number of occurrences. The number of occurrences of the word is divided among the four groups of texts that constitute our corpus: 1. the Hebrew Bible; 2. Ben Sira; 3. the Dead Sea Scrolls and related texts; 4. inscriptions and other such texts."

Is that it?

Posts 1432
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2021 4:42 AM

Shalom Jordan!

Jordan Litchfield:

Can someone explain to me what the numbers stand for after the Hebrew word? 

You can find the answer on page 18 of volume 1:

2. Number of occurrences. The number of occurrences of the word is divided among the four groups of texts that constitute our corpus: 1. the Hebrew Bible; 2. Ben Sira; 3. the Dead Sea Scrolls and related texts; 4. inscriptions and other such texts. In the case of אָדָם human being, for example, the notation indicates that the noun occurs 548 times in the Hebrew Bible, 31 times in Ben Sira, 101 times in the Dead Sea Scrolls, and twice in other Hebrew texts.

In the case of מַצָּה I (unleavened bread) the notation indicates that the noun occurs 53 times in the Hebrew Bible and 4 times in the Dead Sea Scrolls.*

* Note: A Bible Word Study for מַצָּה I will find 11 occurences in the Dead Sea Scrolls but most of the results are in parts of the text that have been reconstructed.

PS I see that Carmen already answered your question.

Posts 465
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2021 5:21 AM

Carmen and HJ, thank you very much. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS