Excluding all public domain works from searching and from library

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 13
Arnold du Toit | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 7 2021 8:17 AM

Please help me think about this.

I need to exclude ALL public domain resources when doing searches and using guides and tools. Also, I wish having them as a separate filter category in my library listing.

This should apply to all public domain resources even if they may have recent re-publication dates.

Not hiding: I'm not referring to numerous resources (Latin, Perseus, American history, and on and on) which I was able to tediously identify via the library filters and by hand, and which I have relegated to hidden resources.

Currently this leaves me with 2000+ resources of which a very large percentage are in the public domain.

These are the ones that I need to be identified, categorized and managed by (search) script(s).

The thinking is as follows.

(1) They need to be identified.

(2) They need to appear under a totally separate library filter grouping and not display in-between other resources when the library is browsed.

(3) They need to be excluded from searches.

(4) They should still be accessible as a separate category, and not be sent to hidden resources.

I believe public domain resources are tagged, or can be tagged as such by Logos?

Thank you

Posts 24293
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 9:04 AM

Arnold du Toit:
I need to exclude ALL public domain resources when doing searches and using guides and tools. Also, I wish having them as a separate filter category in my library listing.

To address most of what you are trying to do I think you are best looking at Collections - one that contains public domain works and one that doesn't.

You could then filter the library to just show the collection you wanted, you could constrain a search to the collection you wanted and so on.

Two issues that I don't know how to resolve:

• In Tools such as Factbook, we can't constrain which resources appear
  • I am not aware of any tagging showing whether resources are public domain or not so think - at the moment - this would need to be a manual exercise
Posts 13
Arnold du Toit | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 12:09 PM

Hi Graham,

Thanks for responding.

My problem is how to create such a collection as I don't know which resources are public domain. Further, if they are identifiable how does one easily create a collection of say, 1000 books?

Arnold

Posts 24293
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 12:22 PM

Arnold du Toit:
My problem is how to create such a collection as I don't know which resources are public domain.

Yes, I'm afraid this is the problem - the second issue I noted in my post above.

Without any tagging, which I don't believe is present in Logos, it would require you (or someone else) identifying each one manually.

Arnold du Toit:
Further, if they are identifiable how does one easily create a collection of say, 1000 books?

If they were tagged, that would be straightforward. In the Collection definition, you would simply enter a rule that included the tag and that would pull in all tagged resources into the collection.

For example, I have a tag called Shelf-History and if I use that in the Collection Tool, I just pull in those resources

Posts 2732
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 12:33 PM

Graham Criddle:
I am not aware of any tagging showing whether resources are public domain or not so think - at the moment - this would need to be a manual exercise

Also, it varies by legislation, and on 1 January of each year, new books enter the public domain.

So it's not only manual work, but requires permanent updating too.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 24293
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 12:35 PM

Jan Krohn:

Also, it varies by legislation, and on 1 January of each year, new books enter the public domain.

Good points - thanks Jan

Posts 31402
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 2:21 PM

Arnold du Toit:
I need to exclude ALL public domain resources when doing searches and using guides and tools

May I ask why you need to do this? I ask because there might be another way to look at the problem that is more achievable.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 13
Arnold du Toit | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 2:28 PM

Hi,

That's a great question! Thank you.

1. I'm overwhelmed by all the search results

2. I wish to limit results to recent resources.

Thanks!

Posts 2757
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 2:34 PM

Jan Krohn:

From first paragraph from https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/public-domain/welcome/ 

Expired Copyright

As of 2019, copyright has expired for all works published in the United States before 1924. In other words, if the work was published in the U.S. before January 1, 1924, you are free to use it in the U.S. without permission. These rules and dates apply regardless of whether the work was created by an individual author, a group of authors, or an employee (a work made for hire).
Because of legislation passed in 1998, no new works fell into the public domain between 1998 and 2018 due to expiration. In 2019, works published in 1923 expired. In 2020, works published in 1924 will expire, and so on.
For works published after 1977, if the work was written by a single author, the copyright will not expire until 70 years after the author’s death. If a work was written by several authors and published after 1977, it will not expire until 70 years after the last surviving author dies.

Posts 2757
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 2:35 PM

Jan Krohn:

From first paragraph from https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/public-domain/welcome/ 

Expired Copyright

As of 2019, copyright has expired for all works published in the United States before 1924. In other words, if the work was published in the U.S. before January 1, 1924, you are free to use it in the U.S. without permission. These rules and dates apply regardless of whether the work was created by an individual author, a group of authors, or an employee (a work made for hire).
Because of legislation passed in 1998, no new works fell into the public domain between 1998 and 2018 due to expiration. In 2019, works published in 1923 expired. In 2020, works published in 1924 will expire, and so on.
For works published after 1977, if the work was written by a single author, the copyright will not expire until 70 years after the author’s death. If a work was written by several authors and published after 1977, it will not expire until 70 years after the last surviving author dies.

Posts 24293
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 2:45 PM

Arnold du Toit:
2. I wish to limit results to recent resources.

You could try just selecting those with recent publication dates - such as this:

It might not handle the issue of re-publication dates but it could be a starting point

Posts 26399
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 5:40 PM

Graham Criddle:
It might not handle the issue of re-publication dates but it could be a starting point

You can check if the Copyright in resource Information states Public Domain (I sense a suggestion to expose this as user metadata!). Organize resources by Series to avoid checking every book (or sort by Author if you know their generation).

With pubdate:>1924 Lange's Commentary will be included because of re-publication in 2008!  Summarized Bible also gets included + some KJV's. Philo, Josephus and the like will also be included.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 24293
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 10:20 PM

Dave Hooton:
You can check if the Copyright in resource Information states Public Domain (I sense a suggestion to expose this as user metadata!).

Thanks Dave - I hadn't thought of that!

So, yes, if that information could be exposed it would be relatively easy to create the Collection as desired.

Posts 385
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2021 12:33 AM

David Ames:

Other countries of course have different rules. Many countries use the life+70 rule for all works, but some countries, like Canada use life+50 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries%27_copyright_lengths

But then there are new editions of old works and in many cases it is not clear if a new copyright can be established for the changes the publisher made to the work (was it just a new typesetting and some new headings or did they rewrite the whole book in modern language, if they added commentary, the text itself should remain in the public domain - so you might have both, parts with and without copyright, in the same book).

Posts 2757
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2021 5:29 AM

Bernhard:

David Ames:

Thanks for posting that information!

I don't know how it works in publishing but in Music there is also the performance / arrangement copyright.  The song is in the public domain but a given performance / arrangement may not be.   [[for example: How Great Thou Art: "Sav-ior God to" is written as four eighth notes. Is usually song as two sets of a dotted eighth and a sixteenth as that is the way a Famous singer did it on TV.  When was the last time you paid that singer his due fee? Your church music licence covers the four eighth notes version only as that is what is in your hymnal!]]  

If a publisher has reformatted the text in a way that is clearly noticeable is there such a thing as formating copyright?

[[Have heard stories that some publishers deliberately add minor errors into the text to show that you copied 'THEIR' text not the original text.]] 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS