SUGGESTION: Make all clause visualizations searchable

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 30842
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 12 2021 8:56 PM
  • Searchable Clause Visualizations: SGNT, OpenText
  • Not searchable Clause Visualizations: CSG, Andersen-Forbes, WIVU,

In order to actually understand clause visualizations, it is necessary to be able to see a group of examples with similar coding and see why they are the same. It is equally necessary to be able to see a group of similar items with different coding and see why they differ. Unfortunately, this basic learn step in not available when one cannot search the visualization ... just the simple search that is already implemented in some of them. Why is this important? Because Faithlife can give us the best tools in the world but if they don't provide the means to learn and teach them, the tools will rarely be used.

Make all clause visualizations searchable | Faithlife Feedback

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8977
LogosEmployee

MJ. Smith:
just the simple search that is already implemented in some of them

Can you explain what this is? I'm not sure what feature you're referring to.

MJ. Smith:
one cannot search the visualization

The visualisations are just that: visualisations. Searching is implemented through Syntax Search, and there are syntax databases available for all the Clause Visualizations you listed.

Posts 30842
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 14 2021 1:49 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

MJ. Smith:
just the simple search that is already implemented in some of them

Can you explain what this is? I'm not sure what feature you're referring to.

You can run the basic search built by the Context Menu directly on the clause visualization - one doesn't need to build a syntax search to find other occurrences. BTW not all of them have templates in the Syntax Search.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8977
LogosEmployee

MJ. Smith:
You can run the basic search built by the Context Menu directly on the clause visualization

I'm not sure how that would be possible, since (IIRC) those resources aren't indexed. (All searching on them is performed via Syntax Search.)

Can you share a screenshot of one of those "basic searches" working on a Clause Visualization resource?

Posts 30842
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 14 2021 1:41 PM

You are correct that I was describing it incorrectly but what I want is:
That the Search initiated from the Context Menu with the syntax coding selected

Yields useful results:

Posts 1361
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 14 2021 3:01 PM

Hi MJ.

Your hits are not displayed in the clause visualizer resource, but in the associated Logos4 resource that happen to have references encoded.

Encoding references in a display version of the text was done for LSGNT and also (IIRC) partially OpenText (clause level data, not word-group data). But due to the structure of the Cascadia material we did not create "display version" for them. That it works for LSGNT and probably OpenText can basically be considered a feature of each dataset and not an expected feature of any/every syntactic analysis. I don't believe similar searches would function this way for Andersen-Forbes or for WIVU.

- Rick

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 30842
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 14 2021 3:23 PM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):
and not an expected feature of any/every syntactic analysis.

Unfortunately, the need is universal. I find that Faithlife builds tools based on the assumption of a skilled user. I believe that it is in Faithlife and their users' best interest to build tools based on the assumption that the user needs to learn to use them.

Posts 18797
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 14 2021 5:06 PM

MJ. Smith:
Unfortunately, this basic learn step in not available when one cannot search the visualization

Please vote for Feedback => Visualization Right Click => Start a Syntax Search

Please add Right Click Context Menu option for Visualization resources to start a Syntax Search (could remove search All Open, All Resources, Everything since Visualization resources were intended only for Syntax Search). Follow-up to forum thread => https://community.logos.com/forums/t/198063.aspx

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS