Do you have an interest in Bible Interpretation from a Catholic/Orthodox/Anglican perspective?

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 31836
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 6 2021 6:11 PM

Then please read this Reading List Catholic Bible Interpretation (logos.com)

This currently reflects my interests and library ... I need it to represent everyone lay to seminarian to professional ... what needs to be added or changed?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 11621
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2021 3:07 AM

MJ. Smith:

or read it in Logos / Verbum, so you can see directly the works you own or lack: https://ref.ly/logos4/ReadingLists?list=Catholic+Bible+Interpretation!MJ+Smith!https%3a%2f%2ftopics.logos.com%2fCatholic_Bible_Interpretation!0  

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 737
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2021 4:09 AM

I have 7 of the 39 resources. Thank you, MJ, for revealing a deficiency in my library!

Would this be the audible version? Big Smile

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 2767
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2021 5:45 AM

NB.Mick:
  or read it in Logos / Verbum, so you can see directly the works you own or lack:  

Searching by titles I have 16 of 23.    Checking by the reading list says I have 22 of 44.  [[I do not need to know why the two counts differ]]

Posts 2158
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2021 10:01 AM

MJ. Smith:

This currently reflects my interests and library ... I need it to represent everyone lay to seminarian to professional ... what needs to be added or changed?

Thanks, MJ

Posts 569
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2021 10:52 AM

One title in the reading list Historical Handbook of Major Biblical Interpreters | Logos Bible Software. Has been updated and expanded with a title change to. Dictionary of Major Biblical Interpreters | Logos Bible Software

Posts 31836
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2021 11:37 AM

Scott's humor tempted me to leave the typo uncorrected ... but it is fixed as in the new edition issue.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 64
John W Gillis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2021 6:56 PM

Ratzinger's paper "Biblical Interpretation in Crisis" is published as part three of the Logos resource God’s Word: Scripture—Tradition—Office, https://biblia.com/books/ignatiusgodsword. The second essay in the collection is also at least obliquely pertinent to your interest here: "The Question of the Concept of Tradition: A Provisional Response"

Posts 31836
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2021 7:34 PM

Thank you - I've modified the reading list appropriately.

Posts 12
Br Damien-Joseph OSB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2021 8:19 PM

Pope Benedict XVI's "In the Beginning..." is a text we look at in seminary as an example of excellent biblical interpretational work, though it is not primarily a text about interpretation per se.

Brant Pitre's books do the work of interpreting without a lot of reflection on the practice of interpretation, but perhaps I can still recommend them? I have only read Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist. Also in this vein is John Bergsma's Jesus and the Dead Sea Scrolls, in which he very loosely interprets some of the DSS sectarian texts and secondary texts towards a Catholic interpretation.

Alfred Loisy should probably be on this list, but I don't know where to begin with him and he certainly isn't available in Logos/Verbum...

Posts 31836
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2021 9:25 PM

Thank you very much - I will add these to the list ... they are exactly the sort of thing I need help finding.

Posts 64
John W Gillis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2021 10:06 PM

Several other excellent Logos resources of this genre from Catholic authors:

Hahn, Scott. Scripture Matters: Essays on Reading the Bible from the Heart of the Church. Steubenville, OH: Emmaus Road Publishing, 2003., logosres:scrptrmttrsssys;ref=Page.p_vii

Breen, A. E. A General Introduction to the Study of Holy Scripture. Second Edition. Rochester, NY: John P. Smith Printing Company, 1908., logosres:genintrosths;ref=Page.p_v;off=-949;ctx=rkable_encyclical,_$E2$80$9C~Providentissimus_Deu

Gigot, Francis Ernest. General Introduction to the Study of the Holy Scriptures. New York; Cincinnati; Chicago: Benziger Brothers, 1900., logosres:genintrogigot;ref=Page.p_3

Fitzmyer, Joseph A. An Introductory Bibliography for the Study of Scripture. Vol. 3. Subsidia Biblica. Rome: Pontifico Istituto Biblico, 1990., logosres:pbisb03;ref=Page.p_iii

Blenkinsopp, Joseph. Opening the Sealed Book: Interpretations of the Book of Isaiah in Late Antiquity. Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge, U.K.: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2006., logosres:opensldbook;ref=Page.p_xv

Catholic Church. The Interpretation of Dogma. Vatican City: Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 1989., logosres:ntrprttndgm;art=intro

You list a single print resource... there are plenty of potential candidates in print, but it's not clear you're looking for that.

Posts 31836
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2021 2:02 AM

John W Gillis:
You list a single print resource... there are plenty of potential candidates in print, but it's not clear you're looking for that.

I'm looking for print resources where Verbum offers nothing covering the same material or where the resource is influential i.e. a "must know".

Posts 64
John W Gillis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2021 9:45 AM

MJ. Smith:
I'm looking for print resources where Verbum offers nothing covering the same material or where the resource is influential i.e. a "must know".

Given that criteria, one that immediately comes to mind is:

Henri de Lubac: Medieval Exegesis: The Four Senses of Scripture (3 vols.) Eerdmans, 1998/2000/2009

Another consideration from among existing Logos resources I missed the other day:

Hahn, Scott W. Covenant and Communion: The Biblical Theology of Pope Benedict XVI.

Posts 31836
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2021 11:22 PM

Thank you all. The list is updated.  Make suggestions at any time.

Posts 31836
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Yesterday 11:58 PM

finally updated

Posts 2767
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Today 5:28 AM

SineNomine:

Question" Is there a New testament companion? 

Posts 5008
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Today 7:24 AM

David Ames:

Is there a New testament companion? 

Not yet.

Pre-ordering the OT one won't hurt...

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS