How often do you use dark mode?

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1131
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2021 3:29 PM

4. Never

Posts 3051
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2021 4:18 PM

Never. I tried it a couple times on a couple different computers and didn't like it at all.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 240
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2021 4:18 PM

4.  Never - until they fix the highlighting and font color issues.

I'm a huge fan of properly implemented Dark Mode.

Posts 181
Kevin S. Coy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2021 4:55 PM

Never.  None of my printed (dead tree) books are in dark mode. 

I am glad that those who like it have it available to them.  To me, it is another example of how responsive Faithlife is to their customers.

Thanks,

KSC.

“The greatest single cause of atheism...is Christians: who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.” Brennan Marshall

Posts 5083
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2021 5:24 PM

Always.

Posts 47
Rob Bruce | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2021 5:33 PM

Every day. I find it easier on the eyes in low light. My system turns to dark at sundown and light at sunup. I have to do this manually with Logos which I do not like. It should follow the system without intervention on my part. However, I will continue to make the change manually if I have to.

Of course on the ios version it is automatic.

Posts 1216
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2021 6:08 PM

I never use dark mode in Logos or any other app. I actually find white letters on black text hard to read and fatiguing.

I used to think I was unique in this, but evidently it is not uncommon. Best practices in usability design for websites and online courses usually recommend not using dark mode when there is a lot of text to read, although it is fine when a person is going to skim to make a selection. When I took training in online course design, there was a whole section on designing websites for visual accessibility. It was eye opening (no pun intended) that my favorite color scheme that I have used Powerpoint for years is actually nearly invisible to some people! If white text is to be used, a dark grey background is actually more readable than black.

Several research studies have shown that readability scores and retention scores were higher when the text was displayed black on white as opposed to white on black. Here are a few examples:

• RH Hall, P Hanna - "The Impact of Web Page Text-Background Color Combinations on Readability, Retention, Aesthetics, and Behavioral Intention" - Behaviour & Information Technology, 2004.
  • A Buchner and N Baumgartner - "Text – background polarity affects performance irrespective of ambient illumination and colour contrast" - Ergonomics, 2007.

Nevertheless, since some users prefer a dark background, it is great that Logos now offers the user a choice. It is certainly true that there is less glare with a dark background. But an off white or grey background accomplishes the same thing with greater readability. Fortunately, Logos has offered this choice for some years.

Dark mode is good in a low light situation, such as when a passenger is reading the Bible in a car -- not the driver, unless they are ready to meet the Lord! It also will use less battery power, since fewer pixels are on.

Posts 17
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2021 6:29 PM

Mostly. On my MacBook I have the Logos Desktop Application Theme set to System. So it switches between light and dark depending on the time of day. I do most of my Bible studying in the early morning so Logos Desktop starts in dark mode.

Posts 109
Darrell Tan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2021 6:44 PM

Mostly. Yesterday I switched to light as I was working with a Google doc and it helped to have consistency visually. I wish this could be done without a program restart as the mobile app can do it on the fly.

Posts 895
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2021 7:58 PM

I use it a lot because my 60+ year-old eyes have floaters in them and the dark background hides them.

Posts 520
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2021 9:52 PM

I have tried it once or so, but the need to restart my application just to switch between the two modes causes me to just ignore it.

Posts 303
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2021 2:11 AM

Never for me. Though I am glad that some people find it beneficial.

Posts 494
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2021 3:05 AM

I would have to add a fifth option in there, about 50/50. I have it set to the system setting and use dark mode at night, light mode during the day. I do this because it's easier on my eyes that way, especially when I am up late and night and don't want to emulate the sun in my office! 

I do, however, take issue with the fact that one has to restart Logos to get it to switch, and the highlighting issues. 

Posts 726
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2021 3:35 AM

I use it on my TV for family reading in the evening.

I don't use it on my PC for study.

Posts 2159
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2021 5:35 AM

In its current form, Dark Mode is hard to use. I use it sometimes.

What Faithlife needs to do:

1. allow users to change the color of the frame only (top menu, TOC...anything except the resources) to black, green, blue pink..whatever a user wants.  Changing that color would produce a restart as dark mode requires now. 

2. For resources (resource panel options), they should have expanded the existing options to include an even darker gray and even other options.  This would not require a restart. 

This would accomplish a dark mode for those who wish it that would not cause the undesirable effect that characterizes this present dark mode.

Posts 9556
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2021 6:36 AM

Harry Hahne:

Several research studies have shown that readability scores and retention scores were higher when the text was displayed black on white as opposed to white on black. Here are a few examples:

• RH Hall, P Hanna - "The Impact of Web Page Text-Background Color Combinations on Readability, Retention, Aesthetics, and Behavioral Intention" - Behaviour & Information Technology, 2004.
  • A Buchner and N Baumgartner - "Text – background polarity affects performance irrespective of ambient illumination and colour contrast" - Ergonomics, 2007.

That is fascinating. I had not heart this before but you have motivated me to look for more on-line. I've poked around enough to find out that there are all sorts of studies showing benefits and drawbacks of both dark mode and "normal" white background reading. Here is a more up-to-date source that is worth reading - https://tidbits.com/2019/05/31/the-dark-side-of-dark-mode/

Most of the responses in this thread also don't dark mode and I will continue to read this thread to learn more.

Until L9 I had not used Dark mode on any device but I wanted to give a good amount of time to evaluate it before I rejected it. I'm beginning to think I might return from the dark side. Smile

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 10817
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2021 8:29 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Logos has now offered dark mode for several months. I made the shift to dark mode on the first day and have never changed it.

How often do you use dark mode?

1. Always?
  2. Mostly?
  3. Seldom?
  4. Never?

Once was enough. Now, I never use because it is difficult to read, impossible for some highlights, and just plain ugly.

Posts 110
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2021 9:30 AM

I love Dark Mode, but sentence diagramming does not work with it, so it does not fit in my workflow. 

Posts 454
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2021 11:33 AM

Jack Caviness:

Once was enough. Now, I never use because it is difficult to read, impossible for some highlights, and just plain ugly.

+1

Posts 3670
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2021 5:19 PM

mm. 

mm.

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS