Commentary Set Summaries

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 751
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 17 2021 7:18 AM

I am wondering if there is a summary in Logos regarding commentary sets. I have built a rather large commentary library. When I run a passage guide or other tool in Logos and look at the commentaries that I have in my library it would help if I could refer to a short summary of the commentary sets. I am thinking what type of commentary is it - devotional, application, exegetical etc. Also perhaps level of difficulty. I would like to see a short description of the major objectives and strengths of each commentary set. I like to begin with a less difficult commentary such as a devotional commentary and then move up sequentially to more difficult commentaries. Do you know is there anything like this available in Logos?

Posts 206
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2021 7:44 AM

Hi, Michael!

In the new Passage Guide there is this:

Commentary Types
There you can select by the type of commentary You're looking for.

There are also several Commentary Guides - for sale, also, on Logos:

A Guide to Biblical Commentaries and Reference Works, 10th ed. | Logos Bible Software

New Testament Commentary Survey, 7th ed. | Logos Bible Software

The New Testament Commentary Guide: A Brief Handbook for Students and Pastors | Logos Bible Software

Many of these contain some summaries of the commentary sets - also, as to their being pastoral/devotional/technical etc.

Another way to do it would be to tag your commentaries manually by using some tag for technical, some for devotional etc..?

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 371
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2021 8:16 AM

https://www.bestbiblecommentaries.com/top-bible-commentaries-series/

This website may help you get an idea about where a commentary set would fall into what category, even though the description is sparse. I would skim the preface in the commentary and that might give you a feel for the audience the editors are aiming for.Then I would prioritize the sets from devotional at the top and technical at the bottom so they will appear in that order in the passage guide.

Posts 2523
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2021 8:26 AM

Michael Kinch:
When I run a passage guide or other tool in Logos and look at the commentaries that I have in my library it would help if I could refer to a short summary of the commentary sets

I have copied the commentary collection rules created by Mark Barnes and created collections that I added to my Passage Guide so that I can select only the commentaries of a particular type.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS