Dan DeVilder Post Count - question

Page 2 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 46 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3648
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 8:39 AM

JimT:
Yay - 300 baud, uucp and AT commands. Anyone for zmodem?

Quoting the booster at the Rochester Red Wings game - 

Aye, Aye,
Let's Go

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 18634
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 8:44 AM

JimT:

ACK.

Posts 3648
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 8:50 AM

Rosie Perera:

JimT:

ACK.

Rosie - 

Is that ACK as in YES! I acknowledge that!

Or is that ACK as Yuck!

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 18634
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 9:01 AM

Floyd Johnson:

Is that ACK as in YES! I acknowledge that!

Or is that ACK as Yuck!

Yes. Smile  (I.e., both.) Pun very much intended! Glad you got it. I knew it would be only for the elect few.

Posts 1873
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 12:08 PM

Rosie Perera:
ACK. … I knew it would be only for the elect few.

Not sure I'm happy with the gnostic undertones of hidden knowledge here. Wink

Personally, I only went live in 1996 with 1400 Kbps.

However, I did have a Modulator/Demodulator attached by a serial RS232 flat cable to a BBC Microcomputer in my Primary [Elementary] School in Inverness back in 1983. It had a coupling cradle into which you inserted the telephone handset before manually dialling [not keying] the number of the bulletin board, but the analogue telephone signal was so "dirty/noisy" that we only ever once managed to get connected to a bulletin board for more than a few seconds.

So my early foray into the online world was thwarted by British Telecom's (BT as it is now) local loop. Some things never change.Sad

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 3648
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 1:35 PM

Alan Macgregor:
However, I did have a Modulator/Demodulator attached by a serial RS232 flat cable to a BBC Microcomputer in my Primary [Elementary] School in Inverness back in 1983. It had a coupling cradle into which you inserted the telephone handset before manually dialling [not keying] the number of the bulletin board, but the analogue telephone signal was so "dirty/noisy" that we only ever once managed to get connected to a bulletin board for more than a few seconds.

Oh - you young'uns - My first foray into computing was as a junior in high school as part of an IBM Explorer post.  We used Fortran and COBOL on an IBM mainframe in downtown Sacramento, CA.  It would be another four or five years (at least) before the first PCs hit the market.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 2:16 PM

Floyd Johnson:

Alan Macgregor:

Oh - you young'uns - My first foray into computing was as a junior in high school as part of an IBM Explorer post.  We used Fortran and COBOL on an IBM mainframe in downtown Sacramento, CA.  It would be another four or five years (at least) before the first PCs hit the market.

In college, remember using 8" floppy drives on an 8088 PC.  Earlier in High School, punched paper tape was initial program storage media - used teletypewriter with modem (phone handset) for dial-up access from classroom.

Also curious about MVP post count reset - original thread topic - wonder about cloud computing data loss ?

Google search for "site:community.logos.com Dan Devilder" returns 3,620 results.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1873
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 2:17 PM

Floyd Johnson:
Oh - you young'uns

Floyd, thank you for the compliment. Big Smile

However, in the interests of truth and accuracy I have to point out that I was the headteacher [principal] of the school at the time (1983) and I celebrated my 63rd birthday at the beginning of this month.

In fact, my first contact with computers was in 1967 when I was working for the National Coal Board at its Scottish Headquarters in Edinburgh and we were computerising all the stocks of equipment and spares in stores across the coalfields of Scotland at the time. The computer was housed in a clean environment to which mere mortals were denied access. Only the high priests could approach wearing special robes which were replaced every time they entered the specially constructed building located on the very edge of Edinburgh.

Thanks again for the compliment. Big Smile

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 18634
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 1:25 AM

I'm sure others here have me beat, but I learned FORTRAN using punched cards. We used to have to submit our card deck to the system operator and come back the next day for the results.

EDIT: I also had a summer job for IBM programming in APL. What a fun obscure language! All kinds of non-ASCII characters. Actually helped me with learning the Greek alphabet, since APL uses some Greek characters like iota and rho.

http://www.quadibloc.com/comp/aplint.htm

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 3:04 AM

Rosie Perera:
I'm sure others here have me beat, but I learned FORTRAN using punched cards.

Well, I can't beat Alan just above ...

One of my first "real" programming was using a pointed metal object (dentist drill bit) to push out pre-cut chads from 80-col cards. I then needed to add the control cards in front and back of the card deck for the school's charge codes. And then I would walk the deck down to a Bank, and they got processed overnight by some big Mainframe somewhere. Next day, if all went well, I got the cards back, and some lineflow.

I got to say, Logos4, multi GB of data, multi GB of Ram, multi GHz of CPU etc, sure beats the above. 

Posts 3766
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 8:18 AM

Just wanted to weigh in and say how glad I am that my name could be attached (and encouraging?) such a riveting and highly personal discussion . . . even if it IS "off topic."  Stick out tongue

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 18634
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 12:57 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Just wanted to weigh in and say how glad I am that my name could be attached (and encouraging?) such a riveting and highly personal discussion . . . even if it IS "off topic."  Stick out tongue

Oh Dan, I feel so sorry for you. It's going to take quite a long while of posts like that to earn back your ranks in the 1K+ post club. I hope David gets around to restoring your post count sooner than that. Smile

Posts 3648
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 1:04 PM

Rosie Perera:
Oh Dan, I feel so sorry for you. It's going to take quite a long while of posts like that to earn back your ranks in the 1K+ post club. I hope David gets around to restoring your post count sooner than that. Smile

But Rosie, that takes all the fun out of teasing Dan.  And just think - a MVP with only 19 posts, he MUST be qualified. Big Smile

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 9043
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 1:10 PM

We should note that Dan has done something no other MVP has done over this weekend. He's almost doubled his post count.

Credit where credit is due I say.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 18634
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 1:35 PM

I was going to try to find proof that Dan had at one time had more posts, but alas I couldn't. Don't tell me we missed his entry into the 666 Club!

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 3:31 PM

Your count is back ... somehow I thought you had more????

Posts 3766
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 7:52 PM

Mark A. Smith:

We should note that Dan has done something no other MVP has done over this weekend. He's almost doubled his post count.

Credit where credit is due I say.

that was some good humor there, Mark!

Posts 3766
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 7:53 PM

Rosie Perera:

I was going to try to find proof that Dan had at one time had more posts, but alas I couldn't. Don't tell me we missed his entry into the 666 Club!

yesssssssss, you did.  And how COULD you, with a name like Devil-der.    I guess I was an unimportant peon then. . . .

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 8:42 PM

Rosie Perera:

I'm sure others here have me beat, but I learned FORTRAN using punched cards. We used to have to submit our card deck to the system operator and come back the next day for the results.

EDIT: I also had a summer job for IBM programming in APL. What a fun obscure language! All kinds of non-ASCII characters. Actually helped me with learning the Greek alphabet, since APL uses some Greek characters like iota and rho.

http://www.quadibloc.com/comp/aplint.htm

Oh, someone else learned programming using Fortran on punch cards.  I hated those.  They were a major pain to keypunch.  Then when your deck came back it almost invariably failed the first time.  The error was never actually where they flagged it.  The error was in deciding midway through the program that another variable was needed but failing to go back and define the variable at the beginning.  The first time that happened I nearly pulled my hair out trying to figure out where I made the mistake (I can prove that I pulled out a good deal of hair).  Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 9:55 PM

Dan DeVilder:
Just wanted to weigh in and say how glad I am that my name could be attached (and encouraging?) such a riveting and highly personal discussion . . . even if it IS "off topic." 

The way I see it, once the answer is given, we can use the thread for whatever we like. Its a form of recycling really ...

Ick! <== Small hint of green (recycling)

Page 2 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS