Posts 32
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 6 2021 7:35 AM

The laptop I am currently running Logos 9 on is configured:

HP Envy x360 m6 Convertible
Processor i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 259GHz
RAM 8 GB
64-bit OS
Windows 10

Especially in Logos the computer runs slow just clicking on an open tab to change from 1 translation to another. I get a lot of "Not Responding" messages and have to wait.

I read some of the suggestions in Related Posts but they were all made in 2012-2013 and a lot has changed both in Logos and computers. I bought my laptop in 2017.

TIA for any suggestions.

BroJames

Posts 1678
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2021 7:42 AM

Does it have a hard disk or SSD? SSD is recommended for Logos.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 19400
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2021 7:43 AM

James H. Schafer:
Especially in Logos the computer runs slow just clicking on an open tab to change from 1 translation to another. I get a lot of "Not Responding" messages and have to wait.

Curious about storage hardware ?

Description sounds like spinning hard drive (similar to one way country lane). Solid State Disk (SSD) noticeably improves Logos responsiveness (multi-lane expressway with traffic flowing in both directions at the same time).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 32
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2021 8:08 AM

It has a 1Tb Hard drive. Would love to have a large SSD, but I've priced computers with large SSD drives and right now they are out of my price range.

Thanks, Veli and Keep, for your replies!!

Posts 29797
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2021 8:27 AM

James H. Schafer:
It has a 1Tb Hard drive. Would love to have a large SSD, but I've priced computers with large SSD drives and right now they are out of my price range.

You will not have good performance on a traditional hard drive. Full stop. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2290
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2021 8:38 AM

As a computer builder, I would never buy or build a computer these days without an SSD.  The costs have dropped considerably and the performance boost is considerable.  If you were to get a 1TB Samsung SSD EVO for $115 and put it in your current computer, you would practically have a new computer.  I would also upgrade the RAM to 16GB.

Here is a video on replacing the Hard Drive.

Here is a video on replacing the RAM.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 32
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2021 8:58 AM

Thanks, Joseph, for your suggestions. Not sure if I can do what you say, but I will definitely look at the videos and who knows, I may take a stab at replacing those items.

Do you have suggestions as to where is the best place to get the drive and memory?

Posts 2844
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2021 9:20 AM

Joseph Turner:

As a computer builder, I would never buy or build a computer these days without an SSD.  The costs have dropped considerably and the performance boost is considerable.  If you were to get a 1TB Samsung SSD EVO for $115 and put it in your current computer, you would practically have a new computer.  I would also upgrade the RAM to 16GB.

And get the current hard drive cloned at the sector level to the new drive so that it just drops in and the system finds everything.

Or your going to need to reinstall everything. 

Hopefully Joseph Turner will give us some advice on that prospect. 

Posts 2290
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2021 11:59 AM

David Ames:

Joseph Turner:

And get the current hard drive cloned at the sector level to the new drive so that it just drops in and the system finds everything.

Or your going to need to reinstall everything. 

Hopefully Joseph Turner will give us some advice on that prospect. 

That's why I love Samsung drives.  You just download their data migration software, get a sata to usb adapter, plug your new drive in via USB, and run the software.  It clones your drive and then you just swap them out.  I have done several and they work flawlessly every time!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 32
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2021 1:22 PM

Thanks, Joseph, but how do I determine IF a particular SSD drive will fit my HP Envy x360?

I'm wondering also about Memory, I would like to upgrade to at least 16G of ram.

I've looked on Amazon, but there are a lot of choices.

Posts 29797
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2021 1:47 PM

James H. Schafer:
how do I determine IF a particular SSD drive will fit my HP Envy x360?

Try crucial.com and use their diagnostic tool. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2290
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2021 5:15 PM

James H. Schafer:

Thanks, Joseph, but how do I determine IF a particular SSD drive will fit my HP Envy x360?

I'm wondering also about Memory, I would like to upgrade to at least 16G of ram.

I've looked on Amazon, but there are a lot of choices.

Laptop hard drives are actually pretty standard, and a Samsung should fit in every scenario, at least for that series.  Newer laptops do come with smaller NVMe drives, but not that series as far as I can tell.

In order to tell you exactly what RAM you would need, I would need to know the number on the back of your computer.  It would say Envy x360, but it would also have an additional model number.  That model number will allow us to find the exact memory that can go in your computer.

As JT stated, you can find it on crucial.com, but you do need that model number, as there were several different variations of your computer listed, and they could potentially have different memory configurations.

If you post the model number, I will check the RAM for you.

I will say that it may be worth it to get someone to change it out for you.  With 16 GB of RAM and the Samsung SSD, I really believe you would be set for just a couple of hundred dollars.  Your other specs are good, and as long as the computer is in good condition, I see no reason to purchase a new one.

Posts 2844
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2021 5:37 PM

Joseph Turner:

I will say that it may be worth it to get someone to change it out for you.  With 16 GB of RAM and the Samsung SSD, I really believe you would be set for just a couple of hundred dollars.  Your other specs are good, and as long as the computer is in good condition, I see no reason to purchase a new one.

It might cost you another 'couple of hundred dollars' to get the current drive cloned into the new drive. [they may not want to try it themselves]

What is cloning?  It is where all of the data, sector by sector, on the current drive are transferred to the new drive so that when installed the operating system does not see a change. Every bit is exactly where it is expected.  The only difference is that the new drive is faster and (hopefully) bigger.

Posts 9526
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2021 6:26 PM

Joseph Turner:
That's why I love Samsung drives.  You just download their data migration software, get a sata to usb adapter, plug your new drive in via USB, and run the software.  It clones your drive and then you just swap them out.  I have done several and they work flawlessly every time!

I have also done this without issues. Their migration software is easy to use.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 32
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2021 6:56 PM

Thanks again, Joseph,

The label was not a printed label, but rather stamped into the silver box, very hard to read, had to get a magnifying glass and for my old eyes still hard to read. Then the light turned on, I have an HP account with all my HP products available and what they have is exactly what I had read. Oh well, all I can say is Duh!!

Model: HP ENVY x360 - m6-w105dx (ENERGY STAR)

S/N: BCG5482KWH

P/N: M1V65UA#ABA

Posts 2290
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2021 7:28 PM

David Ames:

Joseph Turner:

It might cost you another 'couple of hundred dollars' to get the current drive cloned into the new drive. [they may not want to try it themselves]

What is cloning?  It is where all of the data, sector by sector, on the current drive are transferred to the new drive so that when installed the operating system does not see a change. Every bit is exactly where it is expected.  The only difference is that the new drive is faster and (hopefully) bigger.

As I stated above, this is actually the easiest part of the process and only takes a short time to complete with the Samsung Data Migration Software.

Posts 2290
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2021 7:52 PM

For RAM I would get this.

For an SSD I would get this.

You would need this cable to do the migration.

Looking at the video for your exact model, it is more involved than I would recommend you do yourself, but this shouldn't cost much to get changed out at a computer shop.  The parts cost right at $200, and I wouldn't expect it to take a computer repair person more than 30 minutes.  The data migration will probably take the longest at about an hour if you have a lot of your 1TB used because it has to transfer over USB from the standard drive.

You might want to call and ask what a repair place would charge.  If you were near Birmingham, AL I would do it for you free of charge.  

FYI: Here is the video for your model, but you should not attempt it yourself unless you are confident.

Posts 2290
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 6 2021 7:56 PM

For anyone interested, this is a video of how to use the Samsung Data Migration Software.

Posts 117
Darrell Tan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2021 3:30 AM

The most bang-for-your-buck upgrade to improve Logos and general performance is to change the hard disk to an SSD.

You will most likely need a 2.5" SATA interface SSD, which has the same form factor and connector as a laptop 2.5" HDD.

If you want to clone your current disk, in addition to the cloning program you will need a USB-SATA cable, or a SATA HDD casing with USB cable (which you can use to house the old disk to repurpose it).

If you want to do a clean install instead, you don't need the cable or casing. You'll need a USB formatted as a bootable Win 10 installer.

Posts 1110
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 7 2021 7:02 PM

Hello James as no one above has shared this with you I will.  I researched your model HP Envy x360 m6 Convertible.

HP max ram is 16GB

And there is a M.2 slot for an M.2 SSD this would allow you to keep your HDD as a Data only drive to keep files on.

Adding the M.2 SSD would speed your computer after installing it transfer your windows operating system to the SSD and install Logos also to the SSD.

Below are you screen shots of what your computer has on the inside.

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 At 7.53.50 AM

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 At 7.40.48 AM
Screen Shot 2021-04-08 At 7.44.55 AM

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS