Suggestion: Frustration Abounds AGAIN!

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 9 2021 8:00 AM

Some of you know me and my frustrations with Logos.
I keep on trying desperately to use this overly expensive software, that just refuses to do the simplest of tasks. 
To make matters worse, it seems that all FL is about is selling more books, packages. 
I know, I know, FL is a business and in business to make money! It's as much a broken record as my complaints about getting through Logos for any valuable research, but wind up in disastrous failure. 

A couple years ago, I complained about a fuzzy search, that failed to bring up the desired result. Fortunately, it was fixed with a newer version of Logos. But, here I am once again, looking for a SIMPLE search: using keywords: Know not how to pray. Here is my search result:

How to Pray When You Don’t Know What to Say How to Pray When You Don’t Know What to Say Perhaps you’ve gotten pretty good at asking, thanking, and seeking forgiveness when you pray. Or maybe you haven’t. Did you know there are dozens of other biblical models for prayer? For example, praying without words, praying with a partner, meditating, and intercessory prayer. And what about nagging questions: Is there a right way to pray? Is God always listening? This is a breakthrough book for students, parents, pastors, new believers, long-time prayer warriors, or anyone who may be in a prayer rut or drought. There’s no guilt trip here. This book will take you on a journey of discovery that will blow the doors off of your prayer life. And the rest of your life will never be the same. Never be distracted or frustrated with your quiet time again. And don’t miss the chapters on praying in times of doubt, prayers for healing, and warfare prayer. $11.99 Add to cartPreview

ARE YOU SERIOUS? I don't get ANY Bible references? ALL I GET IS AN AD TO BUY MORE? 

A SIMPLE search takes me to the bookstore? I DONT NEED MORE BOOKS! I NEED LOGOS TO LOOK IN MY BIBLE TO FIND A VERSE! 

I'd try and sell the worthless to me software, that I have spent nearly $7000 on in 10-11 years that has does nothing but frustrate me over the years, but, everyone here already has what I have, undoubtedly, and more.

NOW every time I open Logos, I get some banner that tells me New Resource Store in 9.3 

I am back to loathing Logos once again! When I first purchased this, I thought it would be cool. And in some respects, it is. But in many, it is not. If I cannot do a simple search to get results I need, WHAT GOOD IS a supposedly super powerful software? 

So, now everyone knows the background, here's the suggestion:
Can we PLEASE have a search that brings up ONLY Bible references when we put in search Bibles? 
Can we PLEASE nix the dang advertisements? Or at least have the ability to cut them off COMPLETELY? And HOW do we get rid of that new Store garbage? 

Posts 25127
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2021 8:11 AM

Just a point - it makes it more difficult to understand what the problem is when you provide a lot of other background information. 

Batman:
Know not how to pray

I think you are saying you used that as a search string. It would be helpful to show a screenshot - I guess you did this in a Basic Search. In a Bible search it will only search Bibles as you are requesting

Batman:
Can we PLEASE have a search that brings up ONLY Bible references when we put in search Bibles? 

As above, a Bible Search does that.

Batman:
Can we PLEASE nix the dang advertisements? Or at least have the ability to cut them off COMPLETELY?

I'm not sure which advertisements you are responding to in addition to the banner about the Store.

Batman:
And HOW do we get rid of that new Store garbage? 

There is a "x" in the top right of the banner - have you tried clicking that?

Posts 2852
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2021 8:18 AM

Batman:
But, here I am once again, looking for a SIMPLE search: using keywords: Know not how to pray.

Capture.JPG 1

Capture

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 139
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2021 8:18 AM

Graham Criddle:

here is a "x" in the top right of the banner - have you tried clicking that?

Clicking the x only closes the banner for the session.  To keep it closed, use the gear icon on home page in top right and turn banners off.   That will keep the banner off permanently.

Also, I think Batman put the search words in the command box, and hit GO.   That brings up the resource which he doesn't have, in a factbook.  And that's the only thing in the factbook.

Bob

Posts 25127
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2021 8:21 AM

Hi Bob

Bob:
Clicking the x only closes the banner for the session.  To keep it closed, use the gear icon on home page in top right and turn banners off.   That will keep the banner off permanently.

Thanks for that - I was concerned I was missing something there.

Bob:
Also, I think Batman put the search words in the command box, and hit GO.   That brings up the resource which he doesn't have, in a factbook.  And that's the only thing in the factbook.

That's a great insight - appreciated.

@Batman - the key thing if you are doing it that way is to look at the options in the Command Box and ensure you select the Bible Search option as outlined below:

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2021 11:15 AM

Bob,

THANK YOU! While I did try searching the gears, I did not realize it was Banner. Then again, I wouldn't since I didn't even see the "Banners" option, the first three times after you said it was there. Stick out tongue
At any rate, that worked. So again, THANK YOU! 

You are again correct, as I did put the search in the Command Box (It does say Passage or Search, and it did bring up as you show. 
But, I also put Bibles only, in the resource search. 

Thanks 

Bob:

Bob

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2021 11:24 AM

Can't do a screenshot, either. I have two, but, keep being told I have to be signed in to use that feature Stick out tongue I have two screenshots that I cannot upload, as a result.

If I open up the library, and do an "All" search, I get everything but.
If I do a Bible search, I get no results.
If I do the command box, I get the resource to buy. 
If I go to Google, I find my verse, in less than a second. 
Logos: $7000  Google: My soul  Wishing I had the brains to operate Logos, like the old Bible software  Priceless. 

Graham Criddle:

I think you are saying you used that as a search string. It would be helpful to show a screenshot - I guess you did this in a Basic Search. In a Bible search it will only search Bibles as you are requesting

As above, a Bible Search does that.

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2021 11:25 AM

Ted

Have NO clue why I got "No results" and an ad to the store. But, thanks anyway

Posts 25127
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2021 1:44 PM

Batman:
But, I also put Bibles only, in the resource search. 

What exactly do you mean here?

Posts 25127
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2021 1:51 PM

Batman:
Can't do a screenshot, either. I have two, but, keep being told I have to be signed in to use that feature Stick out tongue I have two screenshots that I cannot upload, as a result.

Try signing in using your normal Logos credentials and you should be able to upload them. The upload mechanism has changed recently though which is why you are seeing something different to what we are used to

Batman:
If I open up the library, and do an "All" search, I get everything but.

I don't understand this - I don't see how searching in the library will give you what you are looking for

Batman:

Do you mean a Bible search using the keywords you mentioned as per below? If so, it will depend on which translation you are using as to whether you get direct results - but you should see a result in the Fuzzy Search section

Batman:
If I do the command box, I get the resource to buy. 

That sounds as though you are selecting the Factbook option - you one at the top (which is the default if you just press Enter) - as opposed to specifically selecting the Bible Search option as per my earlier post

Batman:
If I go to Google, I find my verse, in less than a second. 

And I understand that is frustrating.

Hopefully these pointers will help

Posts 19387
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 9 2021 11:03 PM

Batman:

Curious if web browser has Ad Blocking configured and/or blocking third party cookies ?

Amber web site => https://amber.faithlife.com is a different domain than Faithlife forums => https://community.logos.com

Batman:

Curious about Bible search settings. My search in a collection of English Bibles for know not how pray finds results in about a third:

94B4 Search Know Not How Pray

While knowing Romans 8:26-30 passage, looking in Factbook and Topic Guide showed lack of "God praying" OR "God interceding" (opportunity for improvement to reduce frustration)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 455
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2021 5:24 AM

I have been using Logos for about 6-7 months now.  I completely (for the most part) moved from WordSearch to Logos... except for my library parts that have not been converted to Logos and for doing searches.

I too, find Logos searches confusing. It seems that when I want to search something I think should be simple and easy.... well.... it's not. I find myself going back to Wordsearch to get the job done when it comes to searching. 

I think the search in Logos could be better.... some things like finding simple things should be simple.... but for me... for whatever reason.... in Logos finding simple things in a search is not so simple.  I would say it's because I don't think like the programmers in Logos and thus can't find things for me. It might be because of my "brainwashing" of being in Wordsearch first... 

Just saying....  I struggle with the search in Logos and I am thankful I do have Wordsearch to fall back on when it comes to searching. 

For you guys that were "born with Logos" ...Well you have learned through time .... which I only have maybe 7 months of.... And so things seem like 2nd nature to you when it comes to searching.  Some of us.... (ME!) ... don't have that 2nd nature.... and so I struggle. 

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 25127
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2021 6:11 AM

xnman:
I think the search in Logos could be better.... some things like finding simple things should be simple.... but for me... for whatever reason.... in Logos finding simple things in a search is not so simple.  I would say it's because I don't think like the programmers in Logos and thus can't find things for me. It might be because of my "brainwashing" of being in Wordsearch first... 

I agree it could be better!

If there are specific issues you have, please post in a new thread and we can try and work through them with you.

Posts 5548
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 11 2021 6:24 AM

xnman:
I think the search in Logos could be better.... some things like finding simple things should be simple....

You might be interested in voting for:

https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-resource-updates/posts/search-documentation-in-help

https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-desktop-app/posts/add-operator-insertion-menu-to-search

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 18 2021 10:12 AM

I tried a screenshot, but, unable to load it here.

More importantly, I do believe I found the issue. Somehow under "Tools" Factbook was checked, so, instead of searching my Bibles, it was searching the Factbook. 

I'm not sure why I checked Tools, but, I was wondering if something stupid had changed so that I was unable to find any Bible references like I had been able to. 

Anyway, thanks, 
I'd say very strange, but, strange things tend to be more typical for me. lol

Graham Criddle:

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 18 2021 10:18 AM

Hi there,

Appreciate your responses, ALWAYS. 
I'm beginning to think I am getting dumber with every "new and improved" version of technology. 

At any rate, I think I discovered why I was not getting the results I wanted. For one reason or other, I asked WHY things seemed to have changed, so that I could not get verses but only books, and looked under Tools, to discover the search was set for Factbook, not allowing me to find verses and search for the Bible. 
At least that appears to be what happened. 
Stick out tongueSurprise

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Batman:

Curious if web browser has Ad Blocking configured and/or blocking third party cookies ?

Amber web site => https://amber.faithlife.com is a different domain than Faithlife forums => https://community.logos.com

Batman:

Curious about Bible search settings. My search in a collection of English Bibles for know not how pray finds results in about a third:

While knowing Romans 8:26-30 passage, looking in Factbook and Topic Guide showed lack of "God praying" OR "God interceding" (opportunity for improvement to reduce frustration)

Keep Smiling Smile

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Batman:

Batman:

94B4 Search Know Not How Pray

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 25127
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 18 2021 10:20 AM

Batman:
More importantly, I do believe I found the issue. Somehow under "Tools" Factbook was checked, so, instead of searching my Bibles, it was searching the Factbook. 

It sounds like you have it working which is good.

But I don't understand what you mean by Factbook being checked under Tools and so ending up as the search target

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 18 2021 10:26 AM

I've been with Logos for over 10 years now. I started using a simple program that cost about $100 The Bible Library. Loved it. Then I discovered Gramcord but, with Windows XP, it no longer worked. That was (and still would be) my favorite software. 
I recognize Logos' value; but, I also find it far more complicated to use than should be. 
I think it's intentionally so, so as to help fund a certain training program. While I found that disgusting for many years, I did have to realize that any major software program will require training. 
I guess I wish I could just "get it" like I am used to doing. But, I'm not. Sad

xnman:

I have been using Logos for about 6-7 months now.  I completely (for the most part) moved from WordSearch to Logos... except for my library parts that have not been converted to Logos and for doing searches.

I too, find Logos searches confusing. It seems that when I want to search something I think should be simple and easy.... well.... it's not. I find myself going back to Wordsearch to get the job done when it comes to searching. 

Just saying....  I struggle with the search in Logos and I am thankful I do have Wordsearch to fall back on when it comes to searching. 

For you guys that were "born with Logos" ...Well you have learned through time .... which I only have maybe 7 months of.... And so things seem like 2nd nature to you when it comes to searching.  Some of us.... (ME!) ... don't have that 2nd nature.... and so I struggle. 

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 18 2021 10:31 AM

I'm not sure, either. But, it seems that when I did a search it was only searching the Factbook; so I ticked Search, so it would search my Bibles and my library (I think anyway). 
Maybe there's something else going on. I don't know. 

Graham Criddle:

Batman:

But I don't understand what you mean by Factbook being checked under Tools and so ending up as the search target

Posts 426
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 18 2021 10:31 AM

I'm not sure, either. But, it seems that when I did a search it was only searching the Factbook; so I ticked Search, so it would search my Bibles and my library (I think anyway). 
Maybe there's something else going on. I don't know. 

Graham Criddle:

Batman:

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS