The SLOWNESS OF LOGOS9, THIS HAS GOT TO BE THE MOST FRUSTRATING SOFTWARE IN THE WORLD

Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 40 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 38
David Walsh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2021 2:27 AM

I have changed and no change but appreciate the thought :D 

Posts 5557
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2021 2:30 AM

Hi David

David Walsh:

I have changed and no change but appreciate the thought :D 

Not sure but are you saying that you have changed to a solid-state drive with no performance improvement?

If so attaching logs might allow a better insight as to what is going on.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 29893
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2021 5:23 AM

David Walsh:
it is HDD

See Bradley's response to Sean HERE

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 5600
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2021 5:40 AM

David Walsh:

Hi Graham, it is HDD

That it why it is slow when running Logos/Verbum. Full stop/Period.

Rosie Perera:
I have to concur. It has always been like this. It's a philosophy baked deep into the DNA of the company. Code first, optimize later.

Thank you for unearthing that old post of Bob's. I wonder if the sign is still in FL headquarters. Although now I gather almost everyone at FL works exclusively from home.

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
The good news, though, is that we're kicking off a performance team right now,

YAY!!! Big Smile

Posts 927
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2021 5:16 PM

Sean:

It is a horribly slow program. Any complaint about it in the forum will be met with insistent suggestions to buy better harder, especially an SSD. While I'm approaching the point where I see I don't have any option but to get a new system (for this and other reasons), there is no reason Logos has to be so slow, even without an SSD. It's by far the slowest program I use. I personally don't care about how long searches take (they're not that bad, actually), but the system shouldn't hang for 10 seconds whenever I click the Layouts menu etc. There's definitely some sloppy programming going on here.

I don't expect any of this to ever change.

I'm glad you got some help from Bradley about your issues in the other thread. BTW, since your comment came after mine, I will assume it was in response to it. When I moved from a system with a HDD to SSD I was blown away with the result. With Windows, with Logos -- everything was faster. This was when SSDs were much more expensive than they are now. With the way prices have come down, the recommendation to swap out a HDD with an SSD can breathe life into old computers and make them last a little longer at a reasonable expense. Not all systems will allow you to swap out the HDD for SSD, but it's one thing to consider before investing in a new system.

Posts 38
David Walsh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 1:11 PM

Having spent several days and £500 pounds to upgrade to an SSD drive, it is still the same! This is shameful Devil

Posts 3750
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 1:19 PM

I found that upgrading to an SSD on a 4-core mostly solved my "speed" problem, but not completely. My last upgrade, I spend $1500 USD on a gaming laptop (MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max). I don't notice response any more, & it takes less than 15 min to index almost 8000 resources. 

I won't claim problem solved, but I don't notice it any more.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 38
David Walsh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 2:22 PM

Thanks Bill appreciate the response. Mine is a gaming machine, i7 64 GB ram, blah blah blah, but so disappointed that there is no visible improvement. I personally think it is L9 that is causing the problem. It is noticeably differentsince upgrading.

Posts 5899
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 3:15 PM

Rosie Perera:
I have to concur. It has always been like this. It's a philosophy baked deep into the DNA of the company. Code first, optimize later.

And it's not just in how they code, it's how they do everything and it's one of my biggest bug bears with this company. They shoot first without even thinking about what questions will be asked later by users, and if they ever think about their user base they hone in on one part of the user base at the neglect needs of the rest.

You have nailed it Rosie. I was never taught to code the way this company does it. 

Posts 162
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 3:47 PM

David,

Possibly try disabling anti-virus programs and see if that makes any difference.   Or disable anti-virus on-access scanning of Logos files.

Bob

Posts 5600
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2021 5:25 PM

David Walsh:

Having spent several days and £500 pounds to upgrade to an SSD drive, it is still the same! This is shameful Devil

David Walsh:
It is noticeably differentsince upgrading.

Sorry, I'm confused. Is it still the same, or is it noticeably different now with the SSD?

Posts 38
David Walsh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 3 2021 3:18 AM

The PC is noticeably different but not the L9 software :D 

Posts 38
David Walsh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 3 2021 3:20 AM

Thanks for the advice Bob, but I really should not seeking to improve L9 performance by hindering the laptops other functions, should I?

Posts 213
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 3 2021 3:37 AM

DIsciple II:

Rosie Perera:

And it's not just in how they code, it's how they do everything and it's one of my biggest bug bears with this company. They shoot first without even thinking about what questions will be asked later by users, and if they ever think about their user base they hone in on one part of the user base at the neglect needs of the rest.

You have nailed it Rosie. I was never taught to code the way this company does it. 

Precisely, Rosie + D2.  The owner thinks this is OK.  How do we know that??  Because it isn't fixed.  The will-power needed to step up is not there.  We are invested as clients, + taken for granted, I feel.

Posts 29893
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 3 2021 4:24 AM

David Walsh:

Thanks for the advice Bob, but I really should not seeking to improve L9 performance by hindering the laptops other functions, should I?

No, but at some point you will need to experiment if you want to discover why Your installation is different than mine. I encourage you to contact FL directly 

Posts 81
LogosEmployee
Ed Ball (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 3 2021 9:20 AM

David Walsh:
there is a ten second delay on any amendment made or key stroke

Hi, David. I can't imagine trying to use notes with a typing delay like that. One of my current tasks is optimizing notes, and I'd love it if we could get to the bottom of this. Are you on Windows or Mac? Does the typing delay happen if the Notes panel is the only panel open? Is there a similar typing delay in Clippings? Or in a Sermon document? Is the delay on every keystroke, or every few keystrokes?

One thing that might help is log files. To make the log files easier to interpret, it would be ideal if you could start the app without loading a layout, do nothing for a minute while the app "warms up", open only the Notes panel (or as many panels as is necessary to reproduce the problem), type into a note such that you observe the delay, close the app, and send the log files with a brief description of how you reproduced the problem. (Here are instructions on creating log files; you can post them here or we can arrange a different way to get them to me.)

Posts 162
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 3 2021 11:24 AM

David Walsh:

Hi David,

In some cases yes.  Anti-virus software can sometimes interfere dramatically with some applications.  This was just a suggestion to see if anti-virus software was contributing to the issue.  (As JT said, just an experimentation to see what happens).   I have in the past, with other software development applications have had to make exceptions in the anti-virus software to stop scanning exe's which were known to be ok.   

And I have made an exception in my anti-virus software to not scan Logos because they already do that before publishing new software.  

Bob

Posts 38
David Walsh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2021 1:20 AM

Morning, thank you for your reply and suggestions, however, after turning of all scanning the performance is not helped at all. There is something seriously wrong with the way the notes section performs. It is definitely its not me but you moment. Helped appreciated anyhow :D 

Posts 38
David Walsh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2021 1:21 AM

The PC performs quicker but not L9 notes section :( 

Posts 29893
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2021 5:12 AM

David Walsh:
There is something seriously wrong with the way the notes section performs

Ed Ball is a faithlife employee. You should make sure to read his post and interact with him either in the forums or offline. 

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/200286/1165587.aspx#1165587 

Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS