Any Logos 8 to 9 Update "Gotchas"?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
Michael Kling | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 20 2021 3:22 PM

The 6 --> 7 upgrade was uneventful for my family and I, but going from 7 --> 8 the changes to the notes system were quite disruptive.  Are there any comparable changes to the feature set we should be aware of?  I want to be able to socialize any depreciated or overhauled features ahead of time to minimize any disappointment.  I didn't see any show-stoppers reading through the marketing materials and the forums, but wanted to see if I had missed a pain point.

Posts 2348
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2021 4:27 PM

Yes. You will feel the pain of not having done so much sooner. 

You may have some minor learning curve on great new features. 

Depending how deeply you were invested in notes, you may have some questions regarding and details of improvements. 

Posts 5552
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2021 5:40 PM

Michael Kling:
Are there any comparable changes to the feature set we should be aware of? 

No. Smile

Michael Kling:
I want to be able to socialize any depreciated or overhauled features ahead of time to minimize any disappointment.

The old Factbook, which (I think) no one (ish) actually used has been replaced by a new Factbook, which is useful for some stuff.

EDIT: I suppose that I should point out that if you like to type stuff (search terms, commands) into the GO box and hit Enter before waiting for it to populate, there's a decent change you'll find yourself in Factbook articles in 9, whereas in 8 you were much more likely to open the resources, look up the term, launch the Guide, or achieve whatever else you actually intended to do.

Posts 33269
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2021 6:18 PM

SineNomine:
The old Factbook, which (I think) no one (ish) actually used has been replaced by a new Factbook, which is useful for some stuff.

Huh? I missed a memo somewhere ... I use Factbook at about the same rate as I did in L8 although I do open it by accident much more frequently Embarrassed - and still want senses added back in.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5552
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2021 6:28 PM

MJ. Smith:

SineNomine:

Huh? I missed a memo somewhere ... I use Factbook at about the same rate as I did in L8 although I do open it by accident much more frequently Embarrassed - and still want senses added back in.

I think that it is both fair and a compliment to say that you personally get much more use out of the manifold features of Logos/Verbum than do most other users.

That said, I may have been insufficiently generous to the old Factbook.

Posts 33269
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2021 7:08 PM

SineNomine:
I think that it is both fair and a compliment to say that you personally get much more use out of the manifold features of Logos/Verbum than do most other users.

Another way of putting it - I am a prolific collector of useless trivia, seeker of unseen cul-de-sac's, hoarder of problematic cases . . . 

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9627
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2021 4:45 AM

MJ. Smith:
Another way of putting it - I am a prolific collector of useless trivia, seeker of unseen cul-de-sac's, hoarder of problematic cases . . . 

Smile

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1190
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2021 7:43 AM

Michael Kling:

The 6 --> 7 upgrade was uneventful for my family and I, but going from 7 --> 8 the changes to the notes system were quite disruptive.  Are there any comparable changes to the feature set we should be aware of?  I want to be able to socialize any depreciated or overhauled features ahead of time to minimize any disappointment.  I didn't see any show-stoppers reading through the marketing materials and the forums, but wanted to see if I had missed a pain point.

If I were you I would wait until 9.5 is released so that your home page dashboard cards actually work. There's a bug right now that's causing them not to work for a lot of users. The fix for that is coming in 9.5. Other than that there aren't any major gotchas from 8 --> 9. The interface is similar to 8 so there shouldn't be any disruptions to your workflow.

Posts 5552
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2021 8:40 AM

Kiyah:
If I were you I would wait until 9.5 is released so that your home page dashboard cards actually work. There's a bug right now that's causing them not to work for a lot of users. The fix for that is coming in 9.5.

The first public beta for 9.5 is now out.

Posts 5847
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 21 2021 4:41 PM

I must fit into the no-one(ish) as i’ve always used Factbook and it standalone predecessor’s - Biblical People, Places and Things.  While there are always things that could be tweaked, classifications we might not agree the improvements in Logos 9 are worth the upgrade IMHO.

SineNomine:

Michael Kling:
Are there any comparable changes to the feature set we should be aware of? 

No. Smile

Michael Kling:
I want to be able to socialize any depreciated or overhauled features ahead of time to minimize any disappointment.

EDIT: I suppose that I should point out that if you like to type stuff (search terms, commands) into the GO box and hit Enter before waiting for it to populate, there's a decent change you'll find yourself in Factbook articles in 9, whereas in 8 you were much more likely to open the resources, look up the term, launch the Guide, or achieve whatever else you actually intended to do.

Posts 2852
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 22 2021 2:11 AM

MJ. Smith:

M.J Big Smile my goodness! Post of the day for me.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 2
Michael Kling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 22 2021 3:57 PM

Thanks for all the feedback!  The old factbook is/was nice, but doesn't get the daily usage that notes did.  I'll go ahead and jump on 9 to scope things out, but may wait until 9.5 comes out for my family, depending on how bad the home screen bugs are.

Posts 1190
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 23 2021 6:51 PM

SineNomine:

Kiyah:
If I were you I would wait until 9.5 is released so that your home page dashboard cards actually work. There's a bug right now that's causing them not to work for a lot of users. The fix for that is coming in 9.5.

The first public beta for 9.5 is now out.

Most folks aren't a part of the beta program. Is the dashboard card issue fixed in 9.5 beta 1?

Posts 1676
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 25 2021 3:10 AM

I am using both L8 (in the desktop) and L9 (in the laptop).

L9 has many nice features like the Factbook (although still under construction) and shortcut folders, commentary groups etc. , and works well.

My desktop has Windows 8.1 and therefore I cannot upgrade to L9 in it. But L8 is just fine in my use: exegesis and original languages.

My computer is 8 years old and it has some special peripherals so I cannot upgrade it easily to Windows 10 without losing some capabilities. If nothing drastic happens, I'll replace the desktop in 2015. The desktop was originally quite powerful, aimed for CAD work, and it is still somewhat overkill for Logos.

Two features might hasten my decision to upgrade/replace my desktop: 1. User definable fonts for any resources separately (also for the interlinears: different lines having different user definable fonts) and 2. Anchor point for passage study layout (so that it opens all windows, panes, and tabs at the same point when starting, and that the focus of study does not drift while doing the analysis)

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS