We have become friends through the forum

Page 9 of 21 (413 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > ... Last »
This post has 412 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 1:23 PM

Jack Caviness:
Detailer at the Bureau of Naval Personnel

Well, my detailer was pretty nice to me overall.  I went from the USS Lincoln on the West Coast to Norfolk.  A yeoman that was with me on the Lincoln got the Cherry pick of Guam.  Devil    Another personnelman got the station of Bethesda Naval Hospital.  Yes  How are the choices made?  Big Smile    BTW == The yeoman that went to Guam loved it.

Posts 10715
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 1:51 PM

William Bingham:
How are the choices made?

Remember, I have been away from the system for 35 years, but a bureaucracy seldom changes. Sailors submitted their dream sheets (duty preferences) and we had a list of billets that we needed to fill. Unless it was an emergency, I tried to find someone who wanted to go there. However, the overriding concern that drove all assignments was the needs of the Service. Submarine billets in my specialty were Priority One and therefore filled no matter what.  

Of course, there were some who had no concern for the men or women whose lives they were affecting who just took the next name on the rotation list and sent him to the next duty station on the the other list.

William Bingham:
A yeoman that was with me on the Lincoln got the Cherry pick of Guam.  Devil

Did he irritate the detailer, or was he just lucky? I had one Master Chief who requested the Sub Tender on Guam, however.

Posts 5315
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 2:14 PM

Jack Caviness:

However, the overriding concern that drove all assignments was the needs of the Service.

Wouldn't be great if we all fully grasped that concept and took it to heart in every moment  of our walk with God.  Its interesting to hear about your backgrounds and experiences.  I am sure you could come up with some great illustrations from you military experience of what it means to live out Rom 12:1-3.  I imagine in military service there is no room for thinking of yourself more highly than you ought.

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 2:44 PM

William Bingham:

I went from the USS Lincoln

William, when were you on the Abraham Lincoln? I was at AIMD Cubi Pt during Pinatubo and went directly to the Lincoln flying from Cubi Pt to Diego Garcia to Fujirah, reporting aboard in Dubai. "Shall Not Perish"

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 1:00 AM

Don,

You were aboard the Lincoln when Pinatubo blew?  We must have seen each other.   How long were you aboard?

Posts 10715
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 4:30 AM

Andrew McKenzie:
I imagine in military service there is no room for thinking of yourself more highly than you ought.

I had to chuckle at this. I knew many who were inflated with an overblown sense of their own importance. 

Andrew McKenzie:
I am sure you could come up with some great illustrations from you military experience

I remember one sermon about living the Christian life in the world being like a submarine in the ocean. The sub is in the ocean, but when the ocean is in the sub you are in great trouble. I built the message around one disaster and two near disasters, I was an active participant in one of those which involved the gradual accumulation of water in the bilges of the Engine Room.

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 5:33 AM

William Bingham:

Don,

You were aboard the Lincoln when Pinatubo blew?  We must have seen each other.   How long were you aboard?

No, I was stationed at NAS Cubi Pt when the volcano erupted. My pack out was scheduled for the Monday after Pinatubo blew. When Lincoln pulled into Subic, I loaded a cruise box aboard, but didn't report aboard. I delayed my pcs until we got the airfield back up and running. Then, since Lincoln was in the Gulf for Desert Storm, I didn't take any leave enroute, but met the ship in Dubai.

I aboard Lincoln from August '91 until December '93.

Posts 124
Donald G. Fisher | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 9:18 AM

T'nestalin to Yared and Benaymin,

I taught at Bingham Academy in Addis Ababa for 2 years and just loved it.  My youngest son and I miss the injera, fir fir, and macheattos in Kolfe.  What a beautiful and diverse country Ethiopia is.  Rugged mountains and desert plains.  My oldest son is in Addis until September visiting friends that he still has there and has emailed me about going to many of our favorite places in Addis like The Melting Pot, Fasika, Golf Club, and some places up on Bole.  Driving in Addis will always be a fun memory.  Nothing like dodging the donkeys, gray and blue.  Blessings to you both,

Ciao,

Don (from Wiscasset, Maine)

Posts 2959
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 4:23 PM

Donald G. Fisher:

I taught at Bingham Academy in Addis Ababa for 2 years and just loved it.  My youngest son and I miss the injera, fir fir, and macheattos in Kolfe.  What a beautiful and diverse country Ethiopia is.  Rugged mountains and desert plains.  My oldest son is in Addis until September visiting friends that he still has there and has emailed me about going to many of our favorite places in Addis like The Melting Pot, Fasika, Golf Club, and some places up on Bole.  Driving in Addis will always be a fun memory.  Nothing like dodging the donkeys, gray and blue.  Blessings to you both,

Ciao,

Donald  Endemin neh? 

Welcome! Donald, you have mentioned my favorite food. What about Doro Wet and kitfo? 

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 6
Yared Getachew | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 19 2010 1:06 AM

Donald G. Fisher:

Ciao,

Hi Don,

wow you brought back some of my beautiful memories of Addis.

How I miss Addis and of course the fir fir and kitfo etc Big Smile

Blessings,

Yared.

Posts 124
Donald G. Fisher | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 19 2010 5:44 AM

Tes,

Y'egzabier yesmesgin.  Indet neh? 

I enjoyed teaching at a mission's school close to Mercato and also the opportunity to also do some street ministy in Piazza.  Love the Doro and Kitfo and coffee and Kaldis.

Caio and Blessings,

Don

Posts 124
Donald G. Fisher | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 19 2010 5:49 AM

Yared,

Ethiopia is such a wonderful place and the people are just fantastic.  My sons were 16 and 10 at the time we left for Ethiopia and to be honest, they were not that excited about leaving the only home they ever knew.  My oldest is now 20 and is visiting there now and would live there if he could.  Always laugh when I think of the blue donkeys with people hanging out screaming, "Bole, Bole, Bole." 

Cian and Blessings,

Don

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 19 2010 5:59 AM

William Bingham:
the Senior or Master Chiefs I knew were the best kind of person.

I concur!

OSCS(SW/AW)

Posts 2959
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 19 2010 6:46 AM

Donald G. Fisher:

Tes,

I enjoyed teaching at a mission's school close to Mercato and also the opportunity to also do some street ministy in Piazza.  Love the Doro and Kitfo and coffee and Kaldis.

Caio and Blessings,

Don

Praise the Lord! Don,really Marcato?surprising!what is left then,to evangelize Ethiopia.You have  served the Lord in the most darkest area.Iif the people in Marcato get the good news,then the world is going to turn around for the Lord.I am glad ,that you have enoyed Adis,I hope you will do better in Eritrea as well.the Doro wot, and ingera are every where in that corner of Africa.I am glad as well for your children,to have children after your foot steps is God's blessing.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 2959
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 22 2010 1:20 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:

Lome, Togo - West Africa

Hi,Donovan , It is a geat joy for me to have contact with you in Togo in Africa through the forum.we have one from north Africa and from north east Africa(Ethiopia),I think I am not whether some one was from South Africa.God bless you all.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 58
Emery Horvath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 22 2010 2:22 PM

Wonderful thread - Hi everyone from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma!

pastor and church pioneer for 10 years - currently a Bible Teacher

Emery,

The natural plus the supernatural together make an explosive force for God.

Posts 58
Emery Horvath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 22 2010 2:22 PM

And if its okay to mention - a proud 1st time grandfather!!!

Emery,

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 22 2010 3:04 PM

Energized1:
okay to mention

Absolutely Not Ok to mention....  Big SmileBig Smile    Just kidding

Congratulations on Grandfatherhood. 

I have familiy in Tulsa.  Welcome

Posts 2959
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 22 2010 4:38 PM

William Bingham:

Energized1:
okay to mention

Absolutely Not Ok to mention....  Big SmileBig Smile    Just kidding

Congratulations on Grandfatherhood. 

I have familiy in Tulsa.  Welcome

Congratulations,but who is not a grandfather?

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 58
Emery Horvath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 22 2010 5:43 PM

If their is a deficency of grandfathers, I am unaware of it.  Smile

Emery,

Page 9 of 21 (413 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > ... Last » | RSS