Effect of Windows 11 on operation of LOGOS?

Page 1 of 6 (120 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 119 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 3854
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 24 2021 4:40 PM

Is there any report from LOGOS on the use of FaithLifes' tools running under Windows 11?  I know the average user will not have tried this, but I expect LOGOS has been looking at this.  Do we need to be cautious about moving too quickly toward Windows 11 when it is released? 

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 29893
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2021 5:06 PM

Floyd Johnson:
Do we need to be cautious about moving too quickly toward Windows 11 when it is released? 

I don't follow windows updates, but the advice for Mac users is that you should wait until you get the "all clear." Furthermore, Logos is not supported on beta OS's, so be careful about that prior to its release. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 5899
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2021 5:23 PM

Since when has there been Windows 11? I have seen or heard nothing of it. 

Floyd Johnson:

Is there any report from LOGOS on the use of FaithLifes' tools running under Windows 11?  I know the average user will not have tried this, but I expect LOGOS has been looking at this.  Do we need to be cautious about moving too quickly toward Windows 11 when it is released? 

Posts 1273
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2021 5:41 PM

DIsciple II:

Microsoft announced it today. Talk is it will be released end of year.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 5899
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2021 5:46 PM

Oh, I’ll have too take a look, I’ve seen no mention of it in news reports in my country. This would have once been big news with it talked about but nothing has come up on my news feeds. Thank you David.

David Wanat:

DIsciple II:

Microsoft announced it today. Talk is it will be released end of year.

Posts 33766
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2021 5:53 PM

My news reports mentioned the forthcoming announcement ... but then the building collapse and the infrastructure compromise ate up all the news time.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9153
LogosEmployee

Floyd Johnson:
Is there any report from LOGOS on the use of FaithLifes' tools running under Windows 11?

Microsoft hasn't even released any Insider Preview builds of Windows 11 yet, so there's really not much that can be reported at this stage.

Posts 5557
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2021 12:39 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Floyd Johnson:
Is there any report from LOGOS on the use of FaithLifes' tools running under Windows 11?

Microsoft hasn't even released any Insider Preview builds of Windows 11 yet, so there's really not much that can be reported at this stage.

So nobody has reported any problems with Logos performance on Windows 11 as of today?

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 19430
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2021 3:56 AM

Mike Binks:

Floyd Johnson:

So nobody has reported any problems with Logos performance on Windows 11 as of today?

Startup sound lasted 11 minutes => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_11

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 122
Brooks Cochran | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2021 4:00 AM

Here is a link to Microsoft     https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11?icid=mscom_marcom_H1a_Windows11

There is an app/tool to download to determine if your current system can run Windows 11. My computer is 4 years old and does not meet the specifications....

Posts 1291
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2021 4:44 AM

Brooks Cochran:

Here is a link to Microsoft     https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11?icid=mscom_marcom_H1a_Windows11

There is an app/tool to download to determine if your current system can run Windows 11. My computer is 4 years old and does not meet the specifications....

It's frustrating that the PC Health Check tool just tells me my computer can't run Windows 11 but doesn't tell me why. Just reading the system requirements as I understand them it looks like my computer is compatible so I wonder what the limitation is. Sad

Posts 12149
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2021 5:26 AM

Kiyah:
the PC Health Check tool just tells me my computer can't run Windows 11 but doesn't tell me why.

Same here. The introduction seems a bit sponsored by HW-sellers, so :-( 

But the FAQ says they will continue to support Win 10 for over 4 years, so assuming Logos will continue to run on Win 10, that probably is fine. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1829
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2021 5:41 AM

Kiyah:
It's frustrating that the PC Health Check tool just tells me my computer can't run Windows 11 but doesn't tell me why. Just reading the system requirements as I understand them it looks like my computer is compatible so I wonder what the limitation is. 

There are a few things that I've read on multiple web sites that discuss this. Some of the possible reasons are:

1. The processor in the computer isn't new enough.

2. In Bios, ensure that TPM is turned on and is a current enough version

3. In Bios, ensure "Secure Boot" is turned on.

For one such article, see: Seeing 'This PC Can't Run Windows 11' Error? Here is The Fix! | Beebom 

Posts 5600
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2021 7:08 AM

And I'm certain that Faithlife will report loudly and clearly the moment that Logos/Verbum is officially supported on Windows 11.

Posts 1273
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2021 8:02 AM

Mike Binks:

Floyd Johnson:

That’s one way to spin it 😄

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 12149
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2021 8:20 AM

Rick:

Kiyah:
It's frustrating that the PC Health Check tool just tells me my computer can't run Windows 11 but doesn't tell me why. Just reading the system requirements as I understand them it looks like my computer is compatible so I wonder what the limitation is. 

There are a few things that I've read on multiple web sites that discuss this. Some of the possible reasons are:

1. The processor in the computer isn't new enough.

2. In Bios, ensure that TPM is turned on and is a current enough version

3. In Bios, ensure "Secure Boot" is turned on.

For one such article, see: Seeing 'This PC Can't Run Windows 11' Error? Here is The Fix! | Beebom 

Thanks Rick.

Thanks also for logically ordering your possible reasons - For those reading the linked article, it spends gives lots of advice on 2 and 3 (trying to follow those could be quite a hassle with BIOS updates, restarts etc.) and then coming around with 'if it still doesn't work, it might be the processor' - which I think definitely needs to be checked first.

Great that I now know that my laptop has TPM 2.0 ready to use (no idea if it is turned on or off), only to read in this afterthought-passage: you must be running an 8th-Gen (released in 2018) or above CPU to install Windows 11, which is a shocker. Basically, if you have an Intel processor below 8th-gen, you won’t pass the Windows 11 compatibility test. Noting my i5-7200U processor is a 7th gen CPU I'm glad I didn't tinker for hours with obscure security features in the BIOS.

But anyway, it's still only curiosity and way out until I need to go Win 11 (pretty sure some people in my family still run Win 7 on their PCs)

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 266
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2021 9:54 AM

I am sure there a lot under the hood. Here we go again Microsoft making two classes of Windows users. The people that can run it and those who can't. I haven't seen the specs. The video yesterday didn't really go into much detail.

It looks like a new skin running on top of Windows 10. All 3 of my computers are old but runs windows 10 fairly nicely. I have a Dell Optiplex with an icore 5-4570 running 8GB of ram. Ok, this is old for today's standard but it is my Logos PC. It is the only one I have that Logos takes 30 secs - min to load. After it is loaded it is fast no bogging down. If I have to stay with 10 so be it. I only use this computer for Quicken and Logos plus surfing the net. All 3 of my computers just for web use.

Optiplex does more than web use as I do read my bible and use it to study as well. Also, Optiplex is the only one running Windows 10 Pro. The other two Dell laptop and an HP all-in-one are running home.

Posts 1291
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2021 11:48 AM

NB.Mick:
you must be running an 8th-Gen (released in 2018) or above CPU to install Windows 11, which is a shocker. Basically, if you have an Intel processor below 8th-gen, you won’t pass the Windows 11 compatibility test.

Windows should have stated that explicitly on its system requirements. They just said you needed a processor with 2 cores or more. I have a 6th gen i5-6200U, so that explains it for me. I'll be rocking with Windows 10 for the time being. Glad they're supporting it until 2025.

It seems like they just want people to mindlessly rush right out and buy new hardware. Nope. lol

Posts 927
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2021 12:47 PM

Mike Binks:

I doubt many, if any, Logos users have installed essentially what was a leaked version of Windows 11 on their systems.

Posts 266
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2021 1:19 PM

You can I believe offically install today the beta if you are a windows insider. I stop being one because sick of all the updates.

Page 1 of 6 (120 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS