MacBook Pro M1X and Running Logos

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 50
Ryan | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 12 2021 6:22 PM

Hello to my MacBook Pro friends! I'm not sure if you've seen the news on the next Apple event but it is highly likely that they will be announcing the next iteration of their MacBook Pro lineup with the new M1X chip next Monday. The rumor is that it could include a 10-core CPU with either a 16 or 32-core GPU. It's possible that it could support up to 64GB of RAM with a starting configuration of 512GB SSD. Let's compare this to the current lineup with the M1 chip which has a 8-core CPU and 8-core GPU with up to 16GB of RAM.

I currently own an old 2013 13" MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM and its barely surviving. Logos can be very frustrating to use as it's just too slow to handle any serious querying. I'm planning to purchase the new 16" M1X MacBook Pro but wanted to get the Logos community opinion on specs especially M1 MacBook Pro owners. Obviously, Logos software is not a video game but their recommended hardware support page does say to consider Logos and its use of graphics. I'm considering going one spec up on each of the options for the M1X: 32-core GPU/1TB SSD/32GB RAM. All models should include a 10-core CPU. Anyone think that is overkill for a machine that I would like to keep for the next 6-8 years and to run Logos efficiently?

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/m1x/

https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007554992-Recommended-Hardware-and-Software

Posts 1574
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 12 2021 7:05 PM

I'm on a 2019 16" MBP, but am equally excited for the new Apple hardware. Can't help with the Logos aspects though.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 930
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 12 2021 8:33 PM

I have an M1 Air with the better processor, 16 gb RAM and 512 gb SSD. Right now Logos runs under Rosetta and not on bare metal. Start up time is a little over 20 seconds with my installation after a cold boot. Once it is up and running Logos runs very well. Scrolling is very fluid and responsive, and searches are quick.

Posts 1120
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 14 2021 9:49 AM

Hello Ryan I have the mid 2015 MacBook pro Retina with 16gb, I upgraded the SSD to a Samsung 980 pro it used the write to 2800MB/s & read to 2850MB/s I checked the time for a full index and it is now only 95 minutes for the Logos Library of 6,995 resources.

I am hoping to upgrade to the 14" M1X MacBook Pro with 16gb, 16 core Gpu, and the 1TB SSD I am hoping that will be close to the $2,000 mark.

L4 BS, L5 RB, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum, L9 Baptist Platinum.
2021 MacBook Pro M1 Pro 14" 16GB 512GB SSD, running MacOS Monterey   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 8.

Posts 541
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 17 2021 5:14 AM

Ryan:
Anyone think that is overkill for a machine that I would like to keep for the next 6-8 years and to run Logos efficiently?

Get the highest spec'd computer you can. I'm eager to see what they announce today. I've got an entry-level+1 M1 MacBook Air, and I really like it; it matches the performance of my 2020 MacBook Pro 16" on everything but indexing, and that's only a minute or two longer. I would a TB of storage, and bump the RAM as much as I can. 

Posts 37
Luuk Dondorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 17 2021 5:37 AM

MacBook Air M1 (16 Gb - 8 cores) is performing well with Logos, even under Rosetta. For me this machine is more than enough for my Logos and other laptop tasks. I think this is true for most Logos users. So I would assume Logos will perform well on a MBP M1x chip. 

Posts 50
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 18 2021 4:35 PM
Bit the bullet and ended up getting this configuration today:
  • 16‑inch MacBook Pro - Space Gray
  • Apple M1 Max with 10-core CPU, 24-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
  • 32GB unified memory
  • 1TB SSD storage

Unfortunately, it won't ship until early December. Hopefully, Faithlife will get Logos on Silicon next year or sooner!

Posts 1574
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 18 2021 7:09 PM

What a beast! Let us know how it runs when it arrives.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 541
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 18 2021 7:40 PM
I ordered mine as well: 16", 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine 32GB RAM 512GB SSD storage I max'd the performance side, and went for the smaller RAM. I use an external SSD for photography stuff, so 512GB is more than enough for me. 
Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2021 7:07 AM

Ryan:

I'm considering going one spec up on each of the options for the M1X: 32-core GPU/1TB SSD/32GB RAM. All models should include a 10-core CPU.

I wish that I could say that it is overkill for the next six years, but I'm not sure that there is a consumer computer that is relatively affordable that is overkill. I have a 2018 15.4" MBP with a 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM and would love to upgrade for a snappier performance, and it's really only Logos that I see a noticeable improvement.

If you're going to keep your computer for six to eight years, get all you can afford.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 1120
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2021 10:46 AM

I got mine order coming 14" M1Pro 8-core CPU, 14-core GPU, 16GB, and the 512GB SSD. Money is an issue and I was trying to not be greedy, and I think this what I really needed So..

But all in all I am very happy to be able to get this much, I think Logos is going to run very good after this upgrade.

Ryan I think your's will be a screamer, Logos no waiting or very close.

Note: If you are still a student don't forget that Apple has a "Apple for Education" program, I saved $100.00 with it :)

L4 BS, L5 RB, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum, L9 Baptist Platinum.
2021 MacBook Pro M1 Pro 14" 16GB 512GB SSD, running MacOS Monterey   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 8.

Posts 736
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2021 11:01 AM

Besides the improved CPUs, the new SSDs are rated by Apple at 7.4 Gbps (more than twice the speech of previous SSDs). Logos benefits greatly from fast storage.

Posts 10
Dan Lioy, Ph.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2021 8:11 AM

A buyers guide via Max Tech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Ks_NcnM7k

Posts 736
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 29 2021 6:18 AM

Stephen Steele:

Key excerpt from that article:

Posts 50
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 29 2021 9:38 AM

129 people have given their vote on the Faithlife feedback site. If you haven’t already please give your thumbs up. 

https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-desktop-app/posts/native-support-for-apple-silicon-processors

Here‘s what a Logos article says about the Silicon chip:

https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052039392-Apple-Silicon-M1-Chip-

Posts 1120
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 1 2021 7:45 AM

I am just wondering Have any of you gotten the new MacBook pro Yet, How is Logos working on the new systems IF you have it?

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS