Is Prayer Book Commentary an Anglican Genre?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 236
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 19 2021 3:41 PM

Is Prayer Book Commentary an Anglican Genre? Do we have anything in Logos that would be considered in the genre of Prayer Book Commentary?

https://northamanglican.com/john-boys-and-the-tradition-of-prayer-book-commentary/

Philip Tovey observes that “[p]rayer book commentary is a particularly Anglican genre” that emerges in the seventeenth century (Anglican Confirmation 1662-1820, 2016, p. 14).

Verbum 9 Fundamentals, Preaching Suite Essentials, Britannica Great Books, Harvard Classics, asst legacy libraries

Posts 33855
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2021 4:07 PM

Kathleen Marie:
Philip Tovey observes that “[p]rayer book commentary is a particularly Anglican genre” that emerges in the seventeenth century (Anglican Confirmation 1662-1820, 2016, p. 14).

It may have originated with Anglicans (I don't know) but I have Lutheran, Anglican, Catholic, and Orthodox commentaries that are of a similar genre. They tend to be historical and/or ceremonial in nature.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 236
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2021 5:39 PM

MJ. Smith:

Kathleen Marie:

It may have originated with Anglicans (I don't know) but I have Lutheran, Anglican, Catholic, and Orthodox commentaries that are of a similar genre. They tend to be historical and/or ceremonial in nature.

Your wide knowledge base and willingness to share what you know is such a blessing to all of us here.

Top Ten Commentaries on The Book of Common Prayer by Drew Keane August 11, 2021

https://northamanglican.com/top-ten-commentaries-on-the-book-of-common-prayer/?fbclid=IwAR22AP8rXqIBi6LxmXo3FFHwlDBQuHqWOW5ET8iKv-t9C60FUEDmU-H3uBk

Are there any lists like this for the other denominations?

Verbum 9 Fundamentals, Preaching Suite Essentials, Britannica Great Books, Harvard Classics, asst legacy libraries

Posts 33855
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2021 5:50 PM

Kathleen Marie:

Not that I know of but I'll ask around.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5627
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2021 11:58 AM

Kathleen Marie:

It might be easier to find lists for particular ritual/prayer books, if there are any you are specifically interested in.

“The wisdom of the Scriptures is learned rather by prayer than by study.” — St. Philip Neri

Posts 33855
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2021 1:53 PM

If you are truly interested in pursuing this area, there are two foundational books you need to read before exploring the particulars of any tradition:

Posts 236
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2021 6:11 PM

SineNomine:

Kathleen Marie:

It might be easier to find lists for particular ritual/prayer books, if there are any you are specifically interested in.

I will do that. Thanks. Even if I am not particularly interested in a specific book, it is still a way to learn more in general.

MJ. Smith:

If you are truly interested in pursuing this area, there are two foundational books you need to read before exploring the particulars of any tradition:

I added these to my wishlist. Thanks. I still don't know what I don't know, so it makes sense that I should start with general books.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS