BUG: The Basic Search of Factbook gives BS results - ignores logical operators, quotation marks

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 33855
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 21 2021 12:25 AM

I dare you to find Nicholas of Myra in Factbook although you can find the event of his death. I finally resorted to trying to use the search only to find it isn't even close to working - quotes are ignored, logical operators are ignored, . . .

Err 2

I hate it when I have to actually seriously use Logos/Verbum ... it always results in errors in functions and data being identified and utter frustration on my side ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 25353
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2021 1:34 AM

Is this the person you mean?

Posts 33855
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2021 2:21 AM

Ah, I find it with your heading .. it finally appears with (Bishop of ... but without knowing it is Saint Nicholas (Bishop of ... it will not show  even in the show all pages ... nor could I find it in the left panel index ... it should be found by Nicholas of Myra which is the most standard name (or St., Saint etc.). Saint Lucia is another one that took a long time to find - she appears only as Lucy, not a name that occurs to me, Philip deacon and martyr (Biblical) also didn't appear in the all results page but I could go to the Bible and use the right click menu to find him. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 25353
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2021 3:27 AM

MJ. Smith:
Ah, I find it with your heading .. it finally appears with (Bishop of ... but without knowing it is Saint Nicholas (Bishop of ... it will not show  even in the show all pages

I started with "Nicholas of Myra" and selected show all

The Person entry showed in that list and i tried it!

Posts 33855
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2021 12:57 PM

Exactly what I did ... now that I have selected it once, it actually appears in the initial results right under the event of his death.

Posts 12166
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2021 1:32 PM

MJ. Smith:
I finally resorted to trying to use the search only to find it isn't even close to working - quotes are ignored, logical operators are ignored, . . .

I think that clearly inacceptable search behavior has been with us as long as Factbook exists (there probably are several threads about it) and fixing it didn't make the cut for the complete overhaul and wasn't seen as a necessary aspect in making Factbook the number one go-to point in Logos. Go figure.

Threads with hundreds of factual bugs and data consistency issues in Factbook (curiously I cant remember much about resolution of those) and the fact that the most easy, immediate way of reporting such bugs directly below Factbook entries has been taken away (I can only speculate that the team couldn't cope with the number of entries posted - AFAIK no one ever claimed that the feedback was unhelpful or wrong, or that the feature simply wasn't used to report issues) - all those things didn't do much to increase my confidence with this tool, nor did they increase my enthusiasm in helping fix the data problems or the functionality issues. 

To be honest, I try to ignore the Factbook in general and especially the search feature (including the bogus hits Factbook spews in regular search results) and work my way around it.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 3713
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2021 4:06 PM

Hi MJ,

We do have a bug report for this issue and I've added a link to this thread.

Posts 27259
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2021 7:09 PM

MJ. Smith:
I dare you to find Nicholas of Myra in Factbook although you can find the event of his death. I finally resorted to trying to use the search only to find it isn't even close to working

As Basic Search of Factbook:

• nicholas myra   gives a suggestion for the Saint, as do the Results of the search (hitting return after typing).
  • nicholas of myra also suggests the Saint and gives a shorter result list.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 33855
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2021 8:34 PM

Dave Hooton:

• nicholas myra   gives a suggestion for the Saint, as do the Results of the search (hitting return after typing).

Unfortunately, because of the size of my collection and the fact that Nicholas of Myra had not been selected and thus given a bit of priority, it did not show for me. Unfortunately, I have already overlaid the snapshots showing its absence.

Posts 33855
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 22 2021 8:34 PM

Dave Hooton:

Unfortunately, because of the size of my collection and the fact that Nicholas of Myra had not been selected and thus given a bit of priority, it did not show for me. Unfortunately, I have already overlaid the snapshots showing its absence.

Posts 10853
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 23 2021 7:51 AM

NB.Mick:
To be honest, I try to ignore the Factbook in general and especially the search feature (including the bogus hits Factbook spews in regular search results) and work my way around it.

Glad I'm not alone in this.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS