Shared Folders on Fusion

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 662
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jun 28 2009 4:51 PM

Hello!

I've got Logos for Windows running on the PC side of my Mac, but right now it's setup to work on Boot Camp and access the resources from my Mac partition using MacDrive. I'd like to switch things over to let it work on Fusion. How would I set this up? Enable shared folders on Fusion, have it share the Resources directory on my Mac, and change the path in Libronix?

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

President/CEO

Mallard Computer, Inc.

Posts 8127
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 28 2009 5:44 PM

Nathan Parker:

Hello!

… How would I set this up? Enable shared folders on Fusion, have it share the Resources directory on my Mac, and change the path in Libronix?

Thanks!

That should do it. You can also share your Logos User Files this way, but it is a bit more complex.

Jack

Posts 662
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 28 2009 7:55 PM

JackCaviness:

Nathan Parker:

Hello!

… How would I set this up? Enable shared folders on Fusion, have it share the Resources directory on my Mac, and change the path in Libronix?

Thanks!

That should do it. You can also share your Logos User Files this way, but it is a bit more complex.

Jack

Thanks Jack! I thought that's how it worked. I remember talking with you about this back on the newsgroups once. Great to know. I think I know how to do the user folders as well. I have a friend who needs this done as well, so it's good to know we're both going to get it working!

Thanks again!

Nathan Parker

President/CEO

Mallard Computer, Inc.

Posts 662
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 28 2009 8:59 PM

Just tried it and it works like a charm! Thanks! WIll pass this onto my friend.

Nathan Parker

President/CEO

Mallard Computer, Inc.

Posts 8127
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2009 2:29 AM

Nathan Parker:

Nathan

When you upgrade/add resources, Libronix automatically places them into the Resources folder on Windows. I leave that folder as a Resource Path in case I forget to move the new files to the shared folder on my Mac. 

Another advantage of this arrangement is that Time Machine can now back up my resources without filling the backup disk ever few days, as it will if you allow the system to backup virtual machines.

Jack

Posts 662
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2009 11:53 AM

JackCaviness:

Nathan Parker:

Nathan

When you upgrade/add resources, Libronix automatically places them into the Resources folder on Windows. I leave that folder as a Resource Path in case I forget to move the new files to the shared folder on my Mac. 

Another advantage of this arrangement is that Time Machine can now back up my resources without filling the backup disk ever few days, as it will if you allow the system to backup virtual machines.

Jack

Yeah, it's all working out great. I can't believe it was that simple to setup. Now I'm set to use Logos in seminary! 

I've also locked in my upgrade to Windows 7 since I can Premium for $50 at Best Buy. What a deal!

Nathan Parker

President/CEO

Mallard Computer, Inc.

Posts 71
Aeolus Jacobus | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2009 3:20 PM

I don't completley understand whether or not you have it set up this way but you should have the Resources that are shared between the Mac and the windows side on the Mac side. That way if you update the files via the windows end those udpates will work on the Mac as well (as currently the Mac does not have a file update function).

Posts 662
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2009 8:06 PM

Aeolus Jacobus:

I don't completley understand whether or not you have it set up this way but you should have the Resources that are shared between the Mac and the windows side on the Mac side. That way if you update the files via the windows end those udpates will work on the Mac as well (as currently the Mac does not have a file update function).

I have. It does work and updates the files for the Mac side. Same with the PBB updater from StillTruth.

Nathan Parker

President/CEO

Mallard Computer, Inc.

Posts 86
Stephen DeKuyper | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2009 12:27 AM

I followed all of the steps, including changing the resource path, but I still can't see the resources on the Mac drive in the XP version and vice versa. When I try to update Logos via the XP version (can't do it in Mac), it automatically adds a new path on the C: drive and updates it there. I keep trying to remove the path, but it keeps adding it back on. They are not sharing the same path. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Stephen

Posts 8127
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2009 4:11 AM

StephenDeKuyper:

I followed all of the steps, including changing the resource path, but I still can't see the resources on the Mac drive in the XP version and vice versa. When I try to update Logos via the XP version (can't do it in Mac), it automatically adds a new path on the C: drive and updates it there. I keep trying to remove the path, but it keeps adding it back on. They are not sharing the same path. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Stephen

Before I assume too much, I must ask, "Are you using Fusion?" Have you set up "Shared Folders" in Fusion?

Jack

Posts 86
Stephen DeKuyper | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2009 4:47 AM

Yes on both counts. I have shared the Libronix DLS file and can access through "My Computer" using Fusion. I can also make it a resource path within the Libronix software itself.

Thanks.

Stephen

Posts 8127
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2009 11:01 AM

StephenDeKuyper:

Yes on both counts. I have shared the Libronix DLS file and can access through "My Computer" using Fusion. I can also make it a resource path within the Libronix software itself.

Thanks.

In that case, I'm not sure I understand your problem. Can you access the resources on the Mac from Libronix Windows? When I created the shared folder, I removed the Logos resources on the windows side (to a safe place just in case). I then refreshed resources in the Windows version. Update Resources does restore the old path. I leave it there, but I transfer all the files downloaded by the update to the shared folder on the Mac side. It's a bit of a hassle, but until Logos Mac gets better, I can live with it.

Hope this helps. If not, let us know.

Jack

Posts 86
Stephen DeKuyper | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2009 7:43 PM

Thanks. That seems to have resolved the main issue. I think I may have been too impatient while it rediscovered the resources.

I notice however that the addons such as verse list are still being added in "My Documents" on the c: drive. I can live with that now and will transfer them over to the Mac file once the Mac version can use them.

Thanks for your assistance.

Stephen

Posts 1767
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2009 12:03 AM

StephenDeKuyper:
I notice however that the addons such as verse list are still being added in "My Documents" on the c: drive. I can live with that now and will transfer them over to the Mac file once the Mac version can use them.

Yes, and if you use the Logos Updator in Windows, it will still place the updated resources in the resource directory on your windows side. This is not a big deal in that all you need do is manually copy them across after doing an update.

Logos for Mac - Wiki Page and FAQ

Posts 8127
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2009 3:19 AM

StephenDeKuyper:

Thanks. That seems to have resolved the main issue. I think I may have been too impatient while it rediscovered the resources.

Stephen

If you choose to also share your Logos User Files, so that you can share collection, etc, be aware that the Windows and Mac versions do not play well together in the Favorites file. Last time i created Favorites on Windows and accessed them from the Mac version, the file was wiped clean. The file was still there, but the favorites were gone.

Jack

Posts 71
Aeolus Jacobus | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2009 1:18 PM

Is this the case when one changes the resource path just on windows? What if you move the resource folder and run the file updteder does it just send the new resources to a newly made resource folder where the moved one used to be?

Posts 71
Aeolus Jacobus | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2009 1:30 PM

JackCaviness:

StephenDeKuyper:

Stephen

If you choose to also share your Logos User Files, so that you can share collection, etc, be aware that the Windows and Mac versions do not play well together in the Favorites file. Last time i created Favorites on Windows and accessed them from the Mac version, the file was wiped clean. The file was still there, but the favorites were gone.

Jack

From what I understand you are not  able to share user files on Mac just yet. For a couple of reasons. All of the user files (except workspaces) are different file extensions, and the Mac has no way of changing the file path for those parts of Libronix as the Windows does. 

Posts 8127
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2009 5:08 PM

Aeolus Jacobus:

Is this the case when one changes the resource path just on windows? What if you move the resource folder and run the file updteder does it just send the new resources to a newly made resource folder where the moved one used to be?

Aeolus

When you run the updater, the updated resources are placed in the folder on Windows. I then drag them to the Mac. When I drag using Fusion, the files are moved, not copied, from Windows to the Mac. I am not sure it has always been this way, but I don't know what changed.

Jack

Posts 8127
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2009 5:13 PM

Aeolus Jacobus:

From what I understand you are not  able to share user files on Mac just yet. For a couple of reasons. All of the user files (except workspaces) are different file extensions, and the Mac has no way of changing the file path for those parts of Libronix as the Windows does. 

Aeolus

I share Logos User Files from a folder on the Mac. I didn't do this so much to share as to make them available to Time Machine (backing up a virtual machine will quickly fill the largest hard drive). As a bonus, I can share collections between Windows and the Mac. As you noted, other files have different file extensions and are not shared. However, Windows and Mac Workspaces can reside in the same folder without conflict.

Jack

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS