Much desired features for Word Tree tool

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 26 2010 5:56 PM

When using Word Tree for larger reference ranges it would be alot quicker and easier if we could see where a particular verse occurs, preview it and jump to that reference if desired, much like in other resources.

I'm studying Romans at the moment, and want to see where and how "law" is used. Word Tree is great, except I have no idea where the verses on display come from, nor can I easily see surrounding context.

Perhaps something like this when hovering over the line

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2010 2:12 AM

Great Idea David!

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2010 2:32 AM

Great idea. One minor tweak I'd make to your suggestion. The user should have to actually click on the line not merely hover over it. Otherwise you'd be getting annoying popups all over the place as you casually moved the mouse across several lines. And also then you'd have a hard time actually clicking on the "Jump to reference" link because as soon as you moved the mouse towards it, it would no longer be hovering over the line, so the popup would disappear.

Posts 366
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2010 8:16 AM

Rosie Perera:
Great idea. One minor tweak I'd make to your suggestion. The user should have to actually click on the line not merely hover over it. Otherwise you'd be getting annoying popups all over the place as you casually moved the mouse across several lines. And also then you'd have a hard time actually clicking on the "Jump to reference" link because as soon as you moved the mouse towards it, it would no longer be hovering over the line, so the popup would disappear.

I agree.  My only question:  currently when you click on the line it makes the word you clicked the new 'key term' (if that's the word I mean).  Maybe ctrl-click?

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2010 12:50 PM

Ken F Hill:

Rosie Perera:

I agree.  My only question:  currently when you click on the line it makes the word you clicked the new 'key term' (if that's the word I mean).  Maybe ctrl-click?

Embarrassed Oops, yes of course. Couldn't overload the existing click functionality. So Ctrl+click might work. Actually, if I'd designed the feature from scratch I might have made Click do what David is suggesting and Ctrl+click make the word the new 'key term' -- but now that people have gotten used to it.  No, wait. It's still in beta testing. They could still change it now if they see this thread and decide it's worth doing.

Posts 366
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2010 1:45 PM

Rosie Perera:
Actually, if I'd designed the feature from scratch I might have made Click do what David is suggesting and Ctrl+click make the word the new 'key term' -- but now that people have gotten used to it.  No, wait. It's still in beta testing. They could still change it now if they see this thread and decide it's worth doing.

That would be more intuitive to me.  I keep itching for a way to actually use the word tree as a link to go to the verse.  Clicking seems natural to me.  I would vote to change it the way you suggest.

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2010 6:22 PM

Good improvement Rosie. 

I'm interested to know just how useful suggesting ideas in this forum is now that there is uservoice and its new brother. Can Logos comment?

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Australia

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2010 6:58 PM

I have not seen Logos employees chime in on the Suggestions forum in a long time, except to direct us to UserVoice. I thinking they're really just overburdened and can't keep up with this mode of communication. UserVoice is more targeted, and they have been paying attention to it and responding and acting on our suggestions. They've implemented 8 of them and another 8 have been started.

This forum is still useful, however, for us in the user community to bash ideas around and see how others feel about them, and refine them (as with my and Ken's tweaks above) before presenting them to Logos on UserVoice. UserVoice's new brother, AllOurIdeas, is still an experiment and I think the jury is still out as to whether it's useful. Some people like it, others don't. UserVoice isn't perfect, but I personally think it's the better of the two. The ideal would be for Logos to write their own such site that has the best of both worlds. But I'd rather they spend their time working on PBB and SermonFile and such.

Posts 27636
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2010 7:31 PM

Rosie Perera:
UserVoice is more targeted, and they have been paying attention to it and responding and acting on our suggestions. They've implemented 8 of them and another 8 have been started.

Some others on the low end have been started or even completed but not marked as such.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 9 2010 1:55 PM

This suggestion is now on uservoice  http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/974539-implement-hyperlinked-bible-verses-in-bible-word-t

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Australia

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 5:43 AM

David Gullick:

Thanks David, Vote added... I got prematurely exited when I first went to uservoice... it was saying I had 10 votes left, I thought maybe they'd given me a bonus vote for each year I have been a logos user...but alas it was showing 10 because I wasn't logged in... oh well you can win them all.

Posts 27636
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 18 2020 8:30 PM

This set of tools is due an update. I personally would like to see them as separate tools in the Tool Menu to give them more visibility. And the range of texts to which they can be applied needs expanded as well.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS