A Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New Testament

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 442
Tim Engwer | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 26 2010 7:41 PM

Does anyone have "A Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New Testament"?  I was wondering how this would be for a lay person such as myself.  I happened to see it in the list of available resources.  Does it give some helpful commentary on various verses in the NT and the Greek words within and how they are used?  I would like to get a peek inside the book to see how it is set up but Amazon.com does not have a preview for it.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 26 2010 7:53 PM

You mean the book by Zerwick, right?

Honestly, the benefit of this book is mostly in print. If you have a morphologically tagged text and a good lexicon you can get most of the same information that Zerwick provides. I probably wouldn't use it if I had it in Logos. I have a print copy and it's handy if I'm puzzled about a Greek form and I'm not near my computer.

Perhaps someone could chime in with how they use the electronic version, but I suspect that you'd want to pass on this book.

Posts 442
Tim Engwer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 26 2010 7:56 PM

Thanks.  I did just manage to find it on Google books and I agree with you.

Posts 19140
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 26 2010 7:57 PM

I have it but haven't been using it, for the reasons Kevin cited. Here's an excerpt, from John 14:

Posts 442
Tim Engwer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 8:29 AM

Thanks for that screen shot.  It looks a lot better than it did on Google books.  I wish Logos would give a preview for each of the books they sell similar to Amazon.com and Google books so we can see before making a decision to buy.

Posts 19140
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 12:49 PM

TimEngwer:

I wish Logos would give a preview for each of the books they sell similar to Amazon.com and Google books so we can see before making a decision to buy.

The do give previews for many if not most of them, but even Amazon isn't consistent about this and doesn't give previews for all of them. It could be a matter of copyright issues or it could be just the time it takes to scan them all and get them all up and running. I'm guessing Logos is aiming to have previews available for all books that they can legally do it for...eventually, when they get around to it. I think a higher priority for them right now is getting the website redesign completed. Then maybe they'll have time to add more previews.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 8:18 PM

TimEngwer:

Does anyone have "A Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New Testament"?  I was wondering how this would be for a lay person such as myself.  I happened to see it in the list of available resources.  Does it give some helpful commentary on various verses in the NT and the Greek words within and how they are used?  I would like to get a peek inside the book to see how it is set up but Amazon.com does not have a preview for it.

I have the electronic and print version. Love them both. The beauty of Zerwick's analysis is the sister book "Biblical Greek Illustrated by example". It gives some great lessons on the why's of Greek usage.

Posts 21
Monty Bower | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 9:05 PM

I've used Zerwick and Grosvener for a number years now. As soon as I found it available in Logos I bought it and have been pleased. A knowledge of Greek grammar is helpful. I find this work especially helpful in identifying idiomatic sayings, which can be tricky simply following a word for word translation.

i7-2630QM (2nd Gen), Radeon HD6770M 1G (DDR5), 8G DDR3, 1 TB 5400 HD, Win10 64

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS