Time for Another Breakup?

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 120
Steve Robinson | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 26 2010 11:00 PM

It's been quite a while since Logos broke up any of their collections so we could buy one or more of the individual ebooks. How about breaking-up the B&H Marriage and Family Collection and some similar life application-focused groups of books so laypersons and pastors alike could add some very relevant, useful and potentially life-changing resources to their library. (Please! Thank you!)

Steve R.

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 9:22 AM

FYI, the both the Spurgeon and the Berkhof collections were recently "broken up".  However those are both public domain collections.  It's probably more work to get a publisher's collection broken up.  I've been hoping for the Biblical Counseling collection to be broken up for many years and it hasn't happened yet (and it's not even one publisher). I support your request.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 182
Deborah Mickens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 3:02 PM

Steve & Todd,

We are currently in the process of splitting up collections that we sell and it is quite a detailed process! A list has been compiled of the collections to split and we are working through the list which contains over 170 different collections.  Be assured that if you are waiting for a collection to be split, it will most likely be available down the road.

Thank you!

Deborah Mickens
Logos Bible Software, Marketing
dmickens@logos.com

Posts 62
Lester Busald | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 6:07 PM

Deborah, can you tell me if the Ironside collection is one of those.

Thanks,  Les

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 6:20 PM

Deborah Mickens:

We are currently in the process of splitting up collections that we sell and it is quite a detailed process! A list has been compiled of the collections to split and we are working through the list which contains over 170 different collections.  Be assured that if you are waiting for a collection to be split, it will most likely be available down the road.

This is great news, Deborah! I hope the collections will still be available for people who would like to get a deeper discount by buying all of the books.

One thing in particular I'm wondering: I've noticed that the enormous JSOT Supplements series (over 400 volumes in print) is gradually being announced by Logos in pre-pub in chunks of anywhere from 1 to 16 books. I'm wondering whether it might one day be possible to buy the entire collection for a deeper discount than buying all the individual subsets and adding them up. I guess I'm looking to put my Portfolio base package on steroids! Smile

Posts 182
Deborah Mickens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 11:01 AM

Lester Busald:

Deborah, can you tell me if the Ironside collection is one of those.

Thanks,  Les

Les,

Thanks for asking about the Ironside collection. Currently we are in the process of deciding which collections can be split from the list that I have compiled. There are more resources being added each week, so keep checking our website for the new books that have been made available!

Deborah Mickens
dmickens@logos.com

Posts 182
Deborah Mickens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 11:04 AM

Rosie,

The collections still will be available! We decided to work on making the individual books available in case someone wanted to purchase an individual book. In regards to the JSOT Supplements, we do not have any plans right now to make them available to purchase at once, but the plans might change in the future.

Thanks!

Deborah Mickens
dmickens@logos.com

Posts 182
Deborah Mickens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 10:50 AM

Todd Phillips:

FYI, the both the Spurgeon and the Berkhof collections were recently "broken up".  However those are both public domain collections.  It's probably more work to get a publisher's collection broken up.  I've been hoping for the Biblical Counseling collection to be broken up for many years and it hasn't happened yet (and it's not even one publisher). I support your request.

Todd,

In looking at our website, I saw that the resources from the Biblical Counseling Collection (30 Vols.) were already made available for individual purchase. Here are the links for the individual resources:

Why Christians Can't Trust Psychology
Totally Sufficient
True Spirituality
Trusting God
Those Ugly Emotions
The Gift of Listening
God is There in the Tough Times
The Practice of Godliness
The Pursuit of Holiness
Biblical Directionism
Beautiful in God's Eyes
A Woman After God's Own Heart 
A Promise Kept 
At the Altar of Sexual Idolatry
The Complete Husband
Finishing Strong
Point Man
I Kissed Dating Goodbye
Curing the Heart 
From Forgiven to Forgiving
The Heart of Anger
Inside Out
Leaving Yesterday Behind 
Love to Eat, Hate to Eat
No More Hurting: Life Beyond Sexual Abuse
Through Tears to Triumph
The Walk of Repentance 

Thank you!

Deborah Mickens
dmickens@logos.com

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 10:59 AM

Deborah Mickens:

Steve & Todd,

We are currently in the process of splitting up

how sad . . . . . . . Stick out tongue  (it's all about context, folks. what a great hermeneutical concept!!!!)

Deborah Mickens:
We are currently in the process of splitting up collections that we sell

That is awesome news!~!!!!!!!

Deborah Mickens:
it is quite a detailed process!

thank you for working hard on this!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 11:06 AM

Deborah Mickens:

Todd,

In looking at our website, I saw that the resources from the Biblical Counseling Collection (30 Vols.) were already made available for individual purchase. Here are the links for the individual resources:

Why Christians Can't Trust Psychology
Totally Sufficient
True Spirituality
Trusting God
Those Ugly Emotions
The Gift of Listening
God is There in the Tough Times
The Practice of Godliness
The Pursuit of Holiness
Biblical Directionism
Beautiful in God's Eyes
A Woman After God's Own Heart 
A Promise Kept 
At the Altar of Sexual Idolatry
The Complete Husband
Finishing Strong
Point Man
I Kissed Dating Goodbye
Curing the Heart 
From Forgiven to Forgiving
The Heart of Anger
Inside Out
Leaving Yesterday Behind 
Love to Eat, Hate to Eat
No More Hurting: Life Beyond Sexual Abuse
Through Tears to Triumph
The Walk of Repentance 

Thank you!

Thanks Deborah.  Unfortunately, the Zondervan Jay Adams volumes (Competent to Counsel, The Christian Counselor's Manual, and A Theology of Christian Counseling) seem to have been left out of that list, and those were the main ones I wanted.  I guess that's why I never noticed the collection was "broken up".

So the only way for me to get those volumes is still to buy the whole collection. Crying

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 11:43 AM

Todd Phillips:
Unfortunately, the Zondervan Jay Adams volumes (Competent to Counsel, The Christian Counselor's Manual, and A Theology of Christian Counseling) seem to have been left out of that list, and those were the main ones I wanted.

I'm with you on that Todd.  I'll never buy that collection - too much fluff involved - but I'd love the Jay Adams books and would be willing to pay a decent price for them even though I already have the print volumes.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 12:27 PM

Deborah,

Thanks for doing this. Could I make a suggestion though? I understand that collections are needed in order to maximise revenue for the publishers, and hopefully offer great value to us, but it is very frustrating when we can't purchase a title because it's locked into a collection we don't need.

Surely it would be possible to offer individual volumes within collections at Logos RRP, whilst still offering a sale on the collection price. For example, if a 5-volume collection is being sold for $100, why not offer individual volumes at $30. That way those who really want them can get them (generating extra revenue for the publisher), but it shouldn't impact sales of the entire set - indeed it will make the set look even better value.

Posts 182
Deborah Mickens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 3:22 PM

Mark Barnes:

Deborah,

Thanks for doing this. Could I make a suggestion though? I understand that collections are needed in order to maximise revenue for the publishers, and hopefully offer great value to us, but it is very frustrating when we can't purchase a title because it's locked into a collection we don't need.

Surely it would be possible to offer individual volumes within collections at Logos RRP, whilst still offering a sale on the collection price. For example, if a 5-volume collection is being sold for $100, why not offer individual volumes at $30. That way those who really want them can get them (generating extra revenue for the publisher), but it shouldn't impact sales of the entire set - indeed it will make the set look even better value.

Mark,

Currently we are the process of deciding which collections can be split and made available for purchase individually. We are looking forward to making more volumes available for personal libraries. Thank you for the interest that you have in this and new resources are being made available on a regular basis, so keep checking the product page for new resources!

Deborah Mickens
dmickens@logos.com

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 3:34 PM

Deborah Mickens:
Currently we are the process of deciding which collections can be split and made available for purchase individually.

Deborah

Thanks for this information. As a minister I have no book budget and have to purchase my resources from my own funds, as I need them for sermon preparation. While I do have some complete set through my Platinum Scholars base package, being able to purchase a copy of single resources from commentary sets, like Anchor Bible, NICOT or NICNT, or NIV Application Commentaries would be great and bring both Logos and the publisher revenue from me which you will otherwise never get, because I can't afford (even with your generous discounts from time to time) whole sets.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 7:52 PM

Deborah Mickens:
Currently we are the process of deciding which collections can be split and made available for purchase individually.

Oh please let it be Anchor Yale Bible- so I can get the three volumes on Leviticus by Jacob Milgrom.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 12:44 AM

There's an interesting but very brief quote from Bob on this video which basically says that collections are an important part of what makes Logos attractive to publishers, because it helps them get revenue on books that otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell.

Posts 383
Stephen Thorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 3:55 AM

I'd really like the Baker Theology Collection to be broken so that I could get Tony Lane's excellent little book:

A Concise History of Christian Thought, rev. and exp. ed.

• Author: Tony Lane
  • 352 pages
  • Grand Rapids, Michigan: Baker | 2006

Any chance? I'd buy it immediately.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 5:36 AM

Mark Barnes:

There's an interesting but very brief quote from Bob on this video which basically says that collections are an important part of what makes Logos attractive to publishers, because it helps them get revenue on books that otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell.

I remember that, now that you mentioned it.  But They've gotten revenue, now I just want my three books.  ;-)

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 6:18 AM

Thomas Black:

Mark Barnes:

I remember that, now that you mentioned it.  But They've gotten revenue, now I just want my three books.  ;-)

Maybe that's why they're splitting up some collections, but not all of them. Maybe only after a collection has "paid for itself" (or rather paid for the back-listed books in it which will probably never be purchased alone) can they justify splitting it up. So it doesn't have to do with how in-demand the few popular books in the collection are. It has to do with how many units of the entire bundle they've sold so far. I'm guessing...

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 6:22 AM

Rosie Perera:
Maybe that's why they're splitting up some collections, but not all of them. Maybe only after a collection has "paid for itself" (or rather paid for the back-listed books in it which will probably never be purchased alone) can they justify splitting it up. So it doesn't have to do with how in-demand the few popular books in the collection are. It has to do with how many units of the entire bundle they've sold so far. I'm guessing...

I also remember a prior explanation that this was often publisher driven rather than Logos driven.  So it may not be up to Logos entirely.

Check the Wiki

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS