Would this laptop solve my Logos 4.0 problems?

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 27 2010 3:08 PM

I am looking at biting the bullet and buying a new laptop that will handle Logos 4. Saw this one today

Toshiba Satellite A660-BT2G22

Intel® Core™ i7 processor (quad core)

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

4GB DDR3 memory 500GB hard drive

1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M graphics

500 GB HD – 7200rpm Serial-ATA

DVD SuperMulti drive

16” 1366x768 native screen resolution

10/100/1000 gigabit ethernet

HDMI output

Integrated webcam

Would I have speed equivalent to 3.0 with this system?

Thanks

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 3:11 PM

My biggest issues with 4 at this point are the lag when typing in notes (which I use all the time), Slow response of the info pane, delay when using some resources (Pulpit Commentary for instance)

The cost of the Toshiba is $1019.00

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 3:17 PM

frederick harrell:

Thanks

Looks pretty good to me, except the system RAM is marginal; bump it to (at least) 6GB.

As far as typing in notes, experience varies widely, and it doesn't seem exclusively related to hardware.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 3:20 PM

Thanks Richard - The notes lag is my biggest headache - it seems erratic - occasionally keeping up with my typing but usually 1 or more seconds behind which is disconcerting as I watch the screen as i type.

Posts 222
LogosEmployee
Mike Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 4:09 PM

I have a virtually the same computer (it looks like they're upgraded the video card since March from 512MB to 1GB).

Mine runs Logos extremely well.

Posts 25825
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 4:23 PM

Make sure it is quad-core (xxxQM) as one laptop i7 model is dual-core!

There is no guarantee about a cure for lag or response time in L4!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9224
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 4:40 PM

frederick harrell:

I believe this will take extensive testing. Have the new computer delivered to me and I will run some benchmark tests against it. No point in starting to use something if you will later be disappointed. Contact me offline for my delivery address. Wink

Oh, and yes a quad core i7 outfitted as you have listed should do you quite nicely. If not equal to L3 close enough you'll be happy with L4.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1206
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 4:45 PM

The specs look impressive...I'd agree with upping it to 6GB RAM...but Logos performance is tricky; Notes will cause performance issues, as will the number of windows you open, the type of tools kept open, and how you link them.

However, that laptop is going to give you the best experience that you will probably find from a laptop--especially given the power of the graphics adapter.  The only thing else I can think to add would be to swap out the drive with an SSD...but those are very expensive at reasonable capacities.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 4:58 PM

frederick harrell:

I am looking at biting the bullet and buying a new laptop that will handle Logos 4. Saw this one today

Toshiba Satellite A660-BT2G22

Intel® Core™ i7 processor (quad core)

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

4GB DDR3 memory 500GB hard drive

1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M graphics

500 GB HD – 7200rpm Serial-ATA

DVD SuperMulti drive

16” 1366x768 native screen resolution

10/100/1000 gigabit ethernet

HDMI output

Integrated webcam

Thanks

This looks quite similar to the specs for my HP laptop with the following exceptions:

1l  I have a dual core machine
2. I have 6 Gb of RAM
3. My screen is 17" (which provides a fairly normal keyboard)

I can run Logos 4 quite well on this.  I noted the other day that I mistakenly removed the program for my Nvidia card with the result that it greatly degraded the speed of graphics and the quality of the typeface as well.  This was because removing Nvidia also removed hardware emulation.  I would suggest that you check the graphics card.  BTW;  I have thee program back on my machine, and all is now well.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 5:38 PM

Mark A. Smith:
I believe this will take extensive testing. Have the new computer delivered to me and I will run some benchmark tests against it.

Mark I am touched by the offer to sacrfice your time just to help a brother out. I hope I have the opportunity to do the same....soon. Wink

Posts 9224
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 5:51 PM

Fred Chapman:
Mark I am touched by the offer to sacrfice your time just to help a brother out. I hope I have the opportunity to do the same....soon.

What would Jesus do in a situation like this I asked myself.  Angel

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 222
LogosEmployee
Mike Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 8:44 PM

George Somsel:

This looks quite similar to the specs for my HP laptop with the following exceptions:

1l  I have a dual core machine
2. I have 6 Gb of RAM
3. My screen is 17" (which provides a fairly normal keyboard)

The 16" Toshiba's have a full size keyboard with a number pad. The difference between 15.6" and 16" is surprisingly clear and very nice.

@Frederick:

My experience has been great with mine -- go for it.

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 28 2010 12:41 PM

Dave Hooton:
Make sure it is quad-core (xxxQM) as one laptop i7 model is dual-core!

Thaks Dave - here is the processor: Intel® Core™ i7-740QM processor (1.73 GHz (2.93 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology), 6MB Cache   

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 28 2010 12:46 PM

Mark A. Smith:
I believe this will take extensive testing. Have the new computer delivered to me and I will run some benchmark tests against it. No point in starting to use something if you will later be disappointed. Contact me offline for my delivery address.

Mark as always you offer gracious assistance and I appreciate it.

Upgrading the machine to 6 GB results in a total of $1174.00. If there is anything out there with equivalent specs for a better price anyone knows of please let me know!

Thanks all for your help.

Posts 222
LogosEmployee
Mike Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 28 2010 12:58 PM

frederick harrell:
Upgrading the machine to 6 GB results in a total of $1174.00. If there is anything out there with equivalent specs for a better price anyone knows of please let me know!

Its not too difficult to upgrade laptop memory yourself and its significantly cheaper. many websites where you can buy memory will also help you make sure you get the right kind. And I'm sure someone here could point you in the right direction.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 28 2010 2:12 PM

I have dual core and 3gig SDRAM, and no hassle with speed, apart from things like logging in which depend on the ISP, not the computer!  I admit I don't use notes.  It does take a while to load a new layout and to open the homepage or a Bible study from homepage.  But it's seconds, not  minutes. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's new laptop....  Enjoy it! 

Posts 2843
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 28 2010 2:46 PM

I don't think anyone can assure you of speed equal to L3, no matter what computer you purchase. 

However, you will have a great experience using L4 with that computer. 

Only problem I see is the 4 GB RAM.  That will probably do okay, but 6 GB would be much better.  If you are like me, a computer upgrade has to last me for a while.  So I bit the bullet and got 8 GB RAM.. I don't think anyone ever regretted going with more RAM.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 28 2010 3:19 PM

Though the cost is high, going SSD instead of HD speeds things and reduces power consumption.

Posts 774
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 28 2010 11:29 PM

The processor clearly has enough power, but you have to be careful about heat buildup.  Intel processors can lower the clock speed if they overheat.  If the laptop does not have good ventilation it could run considerably slower than spec.  Make sure you run it on a flat hard surface and don't block the vents.

I run Logos 4 on  a 64 bit 6GB desktop.  I currently have a couple of copies of Firefox, Logos 4, and WinWord running.  I'm only using 4.6GB of memory.  If you dedicate the machine to Logos 4 then 4 GB will work.  If you tend to accumulate running applications, then 6GB certainly wouldn't hurt.

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 9:38 AM

Thank you all for the input. Two lines from all your responses have given me pause in my consderation of a new machine:

From Richard: As far as typing in notes, experience varies widely, and it doesn't seem exclusively related to hardware

From Dave: There is no guarantee about a cure for lag or response time in L4!

I have optimized my present laptop and desktop to get the most from Logos 4 as I can. I can live with it, but it remains frustrating. If I spend the money on a new laptop and still can't get typing in notes to where it works well for me, that would be way more frustrating.

Again, thanks for the suggestions, comments, and help. I know what I need from a new laptop. You all are the best.

Rick Harrell

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS