Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 29 2009 8:26 AM

I acquired LOGOS for Mac from another Libronix user that didn't like it.

I want to experiment with it before transferring any of my currently installed licensed resources to the Mac. I have a bunch of "stand alone" Libronix products not installed on any machine -- because they are older duplicates, Is it possible to use a few of these products with LOGOS for Mac for my trial run? And will that give me a good base for  evaluating the new platform?

I am not expecting it to match the PC version's performance, yet. I just want to see why all the Mac people are so anticipatory

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 10454
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2009 9:52 AM

MatthewCJones:

I acquired LOGOS for Mac from another Libronix user that didn't like it.

I want to experiment with it before transferring any of my currently installed licensed resources to the Mac. I have a bunch of "stand alone" Libronix products not installed on any machine -- because they are older duplicates, Is it possible to use a few of these products with LOGOS for Mac for my trial run? And will that give me a good base for  evaluating the new platform?

I am not expecting it to match the PC version's performance, yet. I just want to see why all the Mac people are so anticipatory

Matthew

You can use the same resources on both the Mac and Windows. After installing Libronix on the Mac, copy the resources to the /Library/Application Support/Libronix DLS/Resources folder. Start up Logos Mac and Synchronize License. After that, most everything should work, other than PBB files that is

I am not sure older resources work in the Mac version.

Jack 

Posts 52
LogosEmployee
Reuben Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2009 12:50 PM

Matthew,

Check out the 4 installation videos for Logos for Mac http://www.macbiblesoftware.com/support/ (scroll down to the bottom) to see how to add books from disc etc...

Reuben Evans

Logos

Posts 41
LogosEmployee
Phillip | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2009 2:37 PM

Make sure you don't copy any PC "Help" files (e.g. LDLSHelp or AddinHelp) to the Mac Resources folder.  This can cause it to crash.

-Phillip

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 2600k @ 4.6GHz | 8GB RAM @ 1866MHz | Intel SSD G2

Posts 71
Aeolus Jacobus | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2009 3:17 PM

Were the resources made for Logos LIbrary system, or LIbronix? You will run into some issues if the former becaues the mac version doesn't read those file types. YOu will need the licenses to the products on your account and to find, if available, updated file versions.

Posts 232
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2009 10:09 PM

>Were the resources made for Logos LIbrary system, or LIbronix? You will run into some issues if the >former becaues the mac version doesn't read those file types. YOu will need the licenses to the >products on your account and to find, if available, updated file versions.

Note that you can convert Logos Library System resources to the Libronix format if you already have the LLS resources installed.  Just tell the Windows Libronix installer where the resource files are.  I've done that before when installing Libronix for Windows.

it's a bit awkward and time consuming, but it does work.

Regards, Charles

2017 27" iMac 5K, Mojave, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iOS 12.0, Catalina beta, iPadOS Beta  

Posts 16
paulTILLEY.net | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2009 6:46 AM

Charles, could you tell me how to do this.  I have a Logos CD from about 1996 (?) with loads of unlocked Lix on it.  Just got Libronix for Mac and found that I cant use the books that I already own:(

Posts 31
Justin Kooy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2009 8:49 AM

Paul Tilley:
Charles, could you tell me how to do this.  I have a Logos CD from about 1996 (?) with loads of unlocked Lix on it.  Just got Libronix for Mac and found that I cant use the books that I already own:(

Charles' directions are for Windows.  The Mac version of Libronix will not read the LLS book file formats.

Justin K.

Logos Ministry Development

360-685-4441

Posts 232
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2009 11:35 AM

Hi:

In order to use older Logos LLS books and resources, you would have to first convert them by installing the Windows version of Libronix and pointing the installer to where the LLS resources are located.  Once the resources have been converted to Libronix format in Windows, they then can then be copied over to your Mac in the appropriate resource folder\path.  Then the licenses can by synced to the Mac.  It's a kind of convoluted way of doing it but it works.  For now at least, that's the only way to make the conversion as the Mac engine does not support older LLS resources.  It will "see" them but will report back that they are locked.

We have a rather large collection of LLS resources (I was attending seminary at the time) which we still have.  Although we converted the most useful of them to the Libronix format in Windows, we decided that when we purchased the Mac for the ministry, we would start over with new resource purchases.  We absolutely love using the Mac but still retain our Windows machines.

Regards.

2017 27" iMac 5K, Mojave, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iOS 12.0, Catalina beta, iPadOS Beta  

Posts 232
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2009 4:54 PM

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous reply regarding using older resources.....  In order to have the Windows Libronix installer convert the LLS resources, the Logos Library System must already be installed.  Also the resources which you wish to convert must be installed otherwise the Libronix installer will consider them as "locked".   Since both the Libronix and Logos Library programs can exist on the same machine, that should not present a problem other than the extra work involved.

Regards.

Posts 1336
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2009 6:11 PM

Does the 1 volume Oxford Commentary work on the Mac yet?

And if anyone else if giving their Mac version away, let me know. I've got someone who could use it.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 1
Casey Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2009 6:47 AM

I have recently tried to transfer my Gold package over to my Mac but while adding the resources I noticed that all the resources on discs D,E, and F are locked. What's that all about? How do I access those on my Mac?

Thanks.

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2009 3:38 PM
Call customer service to ensure that your licenses transfered properly. They will get you fixed up.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 5242
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 1 2009 9:34 PM

I have heard nothing about the OBC other than they don;t expect to be able to update it, and mac logos will never read the old format. I would suggest you request  both oxford and Logos to distribute it again. I have made a suggestion that they get that and the New oxford Annotated Bible. Oxford has it online but unfortunately you have to subscribe (30 bucks a month) to use it. But maybe oxford will let Logos put it into their format and we who already have the OBC will be able to get it again.

-dan

Posts 28
Jason Prince | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 20 2009 4:22 AM

Charles Scaglione:

Hi:

In order to use older Logos LLS books and resources, you would have to first convert them by installing the Windows version of Libronix and pointing the installer to where the LLS resources are located.  Once the resources have been converted to Libronix format in Windows, they then can then be copied over to your Mac in the appropriate resource folder\path.  Then the licenses can by synced to the Mac.  It's a kind of convoluted way of doing it but it works.  For now at least, that's the only way to make the conversion as the Mac engine does not support older LLS resources.  It will "see" them but will report back that they are locked.

We have a rather large collection of LLS resources (I was attending seminary at the time) which we still have.  Although we converted the most useful of them to the Libronix format in Windows, we decided that when we purchased the Mac for the ministry, we would start over with new resource purchases.  We absolutely love using the Mac but still retain our Windows machines.

Regards.

I have another work around.

I had my old Windows Nelson Library Deluxe I wanted to add its unlocked resources to my Mac.

I used VMWare to create a Windows 98 system (I had my old OS disc), and I only needed to upgrade to Explorer 6 from 5 (which took a bit of hunting for a direct download and update.)

I then loaded my Nelsons onto the 98. There was a bit of updating as well getting the latest PC version of Libronix 3 from Logos which updated over that. All the unlocked resources that came with the disc were there and worked (as well as can be expected in a VMWare 98 environment)

Then I entered in my current Logos Cust ID info. I then synched with Logos. 

Back to my Mac, rather than copy my LIX/LSE (LLS) files to my Mac partition and try to convert them I tried something different. I manually identified each unlocked resource in turn on the Logos site and downloaded the current lbxlls saving the filename to my downloads folder, and then copied that across to the Resources folder. I then synched my Mac version of Libronix, closed it and reopened it, and everything was there.

My only confusion now is figuring out if I might have missed a resource or two in my haste. Is there anyway to see what Logos says I am officially licensed for? I can only see my online and disc purchases made directly with them. Nothing on this older disc.

Posts 232
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 20 2009 1:15 PM

Hi  Jason:

We also have the Windows Nelson Library Deluxe which we purchased on sale here in Dallas many years ago.  Very nice resource.   Thanks for posting your work around - to be honest, I would not have thought about loading a copy of Windows using Fusion to install the older resources.  Since we already had several machines running XP Home it wasn't necessary.  But I am rather disappointed with Logos for not providing an easier way to convert the older LLS resources.

To answer your question about which licenses Logos has you on file for.....  They would not necessarily have your licenses for the Nelson Library Deluxe or any other resources that were not purchased direct from them.  We prefer NOT to purchase direct from Logos as their prices tend to be higher than purchasing resources from the publisher.  Every resource we purchased from Logos is on file, however, the others we have (Nelson, etc) are not.

I'm not sure there is a way for you to see what Logos says you're officially licensed for unless you somehow registered all your older resources with them when you made the purchases.   Give their support a call and ask but I'm betting they will respond in the negative.

Regards,

In Christ, Charles

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS