Feature Request: Preserve Original Page Breaks In Printouts

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 63
Markus Schiller | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 29 2010 1:52 PM | Locked

I think we all enjoy the new printing features of the 4.1 betas.

What would be really great: an option to preserve the original page breaks of the printed version.

This could prevent tables from being torn apart and making printouts look much better.

What do you think?

Markus

Posts 308
James W Bennett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 1:58 PM | Locked

As long as it is just an option Yes

---

James W Bennett

http://syriac.tara-lu.com/

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 30 2010 1:44 AM | Locked

Markus Schiller:
What would be really great: an option to preserve the original page breaks of the printed version.

Can of worms ... even if you meant to preserve the breaks indicated by the page numbering that Logos uses.

Which printed version? What font did it use, what size?

If it was B5 pages the A4 or Letter print is going to have a lot of wasted space!

So, yes, it must be an option!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 30 2010 1:59 AM | Locked

Yes, it would be nice, but difficult. Getting the pages to break exactly at the same place as the original ones did would be next to impossible. If you were satisfied with some blank space at the end of pages, and perhaps an unfinished last line on each page, then it could probably be done.

An alternative for you (which is already working in 4.1 beta) would be to turn on the page number markers and print with those showing.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 30 2010 3:12 AM | Locked

I like this idea but it is incredibly complex. Logos has the luxury of ignoring a major component of print book making, hyphenation. Sure there are software programs that can do a good first pass, but for a quality look a human has to go behind and make certain that falls just right and the hyphens make senes. Since Logos resources are typically in a continuous scroll format, they don't have to worry about adding those pesky hyphens. Even with how good printing looks right now, it would be a huge undertaking to make it look like a printed page and have the hyphenation adjust the amount of text to make the print look good. I am content to enable the page number visual filter and leave it at that.

Posts 63
Markus Schiller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 30 2010 3:39 AM | Locked

Kevin Becker:

(...) but it is incredibly complex (...)

In my opinion it's not necessary to keep the original font, margins, hyphenation etc but just the page breaks that are already coded in all (?) logos titles. Optional, of course!

It should not be very complex to implement a scaling routine that prevents pages from being torn apart.

Markus

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS