Page 2 of 3 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 53 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 10:41 AM | Locked

Well it's certainly safe, it's been done by others with no problem.  (deleting the file I mean, not the hammer.) Stick out tongue

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 11:00 AM | Locked

Thomas Black:
(deleting the file I mean, not the hammer.)

Gee thanks Stick out tongue

...well, it was worth a try, but I still only have local content on the homepage.

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 11:04 AM | Locked

Thomas Black:

Ron Keyston Jr:
Any other ideas?

Got a hammer?

Peter, Paul, and Mary do, if you can't find one.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3764
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 11:07 AM | Locked

Dan DeVilder:

That sounds like my kind of joke - quit stealing my lines.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 5619
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 11:23 AM | Locked

Dan DeVilder:

Thomas Black:

Ron Keyston Jr:
Any other ideas?

Got a hammer?

Actually they were looking for one too: "If I had a hammer...".  I don't think they ever got around to hammer time.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 11:35 AM | Locked

Todd Phillips:
hammer time

You can't touch this!

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 11:47 AM | Locked

OK, any suggestions that don't involve hammers or old songs from the 70s (60s? both decades are before my time, so I'm not sure when Peter, Paul, and Mary were around...and I think the only song of theirs that I know is Leaving on a Jet Plane from which I sing the chorus to my kids anytime they ask where I'm going) and 80s?

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 11:57 AM | Locked

Sorry Ron,

Have you got a Log to upload?

Let's do that and I'll take a look.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 12:26 PM | Locked

Thomas Black:

Sorry Ron,

Have you got a Log to upload?

Let's do that and I'll take a look.

No, no need to apologize, I wasn't upset.  I thought it was funny, I was just trying to steer the conversation back to the issue Smile  Sorry, I guess I should have put a Stick out tongue at the end of my last post so that it was clear that I wasn't upset about the rabbit trail Stick out tongue

Is this the right log file?

71206.Logos4.log

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 12:41 PM | Locked

I understood that Ron.  :-D

As for the log, it looks like the right one, being run today about noon.  

Line 376 shows the same error that Bradley mentioned earlier, which is why he suggested clearing the cache. 

2010-08-05 11:59:54.9431    7    Warn    SyndicationUtility    Unexpected HTTP response when accessing '.http://www.logos.com/rdf/?file=columns-4.0⟨=en': 500 Internal Server Error

I have no idea what further suggestions to make beyond clearing the cache again which you've already done.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 12:51 PM | Locked

Thomas Black:
I have no idea what further suggestions to make beyond clearing the cache again which you've already done.

Well, when I cleared it, I only cleared the actual "cache" in Firefox, but cleared everything in Internet Explorer (since I never use it anyway).  Do I need to clear out my cookies too?

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 1:00 PM | Locked

To my knowledge, cookies aren't going to be an issue here.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 1:11 PM | Locked

Yay, I'm fixed!  A couple of things to add to the list of things to try in case anyone else runs into this:

1) I went to the command prompt and ran "ipconfig /dnsflush" without the quotes

2) I went into "Internet Options" and then "Settings" under Browsing History.  I set the "Disk space to use" setting down to the minimum, because I read that wininet would force a flush of its DNS cache when it hit the size threshold.  This disk cache is largely unnecessary for anyone with broadband anyway, so I tend to keep mine low, but hadn't yet set it down on this computer.

3) I changed the "Check for newer versions of stored pages" setting from "Automatically" to "Every time I visit the webpage"

4) Upon starting Logos back up, the homepage still only had local content, so I hit F5 to force a refresh.  I probably should have tried this between each step since I now have no idea which of the changes actually resulted in the problem being fixed, but oh well.

Thanks for the help Thomas.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 1:27 PM | Locked

Glad it's worked for you Ron. 

I really think Logos needs to code something into the home page that would avoid this issue in the future.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 1:30 PM | Locked

Thomas Black:

Glad it's worked for you Ron. 

I really think Logos needs to code something into the home page that would avoid this issue in the future.

Most definitely...though if they are populating via the wininet library which, in turn, derives its settings through the Internet settings, it may effectively be out of their control.  I'm guessing that the setting that made the difference was forcing it to check for a new version of the page on every visit instead of "Automatically".

Posts 106
Bruce Fraser | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 2:57 PM | Locked

Ron Keyston Jr:
Yay, I'm fixed!  A couple of things to add to the list of things to try in case anyone else runs into this:

1, 2, 3, 4...

I've followed all those steps, restarted Logos, and... still a mostly empty Home page.

I haven't noticed any official tech support person from Logos on this thread, so I've submitted a bug report citing this forum page. We'll see what happens next.

Posts 106
Bruce Fraser | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 3:00 PM | Locked

BruceFraser:
I haven't noticed any official tech support person from Logos on this thread

At least no one whose avatar or signature clearly identifies them as Logos support. The icon under Melissa's name kind of, sort of, maybe suggests that... but it's pretty vague.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 3:08 PM | Locked

Hi Bruce,

BruceFraser:
I haven't noticed any official tech support person from Logos on this thread, so I've submitted a bug report citing this forum page. We'll see what happens next.

Yup, Melissa is the real deal.  Also check out Bradley's response.  (both on the prior page)

Welcome to the Forum Bruce.  Big Smile

Posts 106
Bruce Fraser | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 7:06 AM | Locked

Thomas Black:
Also check out Bradley's response.  (both on the prior page)

I did, as mentioned on previous page, and no change in the behaviour. That's why I submitted a bug report.

No word back on that yet.

Bruce.

Posts 9059
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 1:24 PM | Locked

BruceFraser:

Thomas Black:
Also check out Bradley's response.  (both on the prior page)

I did, as mentioned on previous page, and no change in the behaviour. That's why I submitted a bug report.

No word back on that yet.

Where did you file the bug report? I'm unable to find it.

Nonetheless, we do already have a case in our internal bug tracking system to make the Home Page try harder to load RSS feeds if it encounters this error; we plan to address this problem in 4.1 Beta 7.

Page 2 of 3 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS