Tablet PC for L4, Graphics Question? tablet impressions?

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Posts 94
Matt B | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 3 2010 8:04 AM

So Lenovo has a great deal on the X201 Tablet PC, here are some of the specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-620M Processor (2.66-3.33GHz, 4MB L3, 1066MHz FSB)

8 GB Ram

500GB HDD, 7200RPM

My big fear is system graphics "Intel HD Graphics" What does that mean? When I click "help me decide" here is their decription: 

Unlike integrated graphics models that share system memory for graphics, discrete graphics models feature a dedicated graphics processor and memory for superior performance for 3D games and graphics-intensive applications.

Graphics Media Accelerators (GMAs) are intelligent and responsive graphics engines built into the chipset that is on the motherboard. This integration provides improved visual quality, faster graphics performance, and multiple display options. These GMA's also allow an integrated graphics machine to be built without a separate graphics card, which can reduce cost and streamline power consumption.

OpenGL-certified graphics solutions are designed to be more compatible and stable with professional-level 3D rendering applications and other tools requiring accelerated 3D graphics performance. The FireGL line is designed for multimedia content creation programs and other professional workstation applications, while Radeon counterparts are suited more towards video games. FireGL drivers are built with maximum image quality and pixel precision, with CAD/CAM specific functionalities.

So- what do you think? My reason for wanting a tablet PC is the hope to get similar ease I would get from the iPad without publishers taking away my resources whenever they feel like it. As well has having full L4 (and PC capabilities) at my disposal. Am I off base? What are your tablet experiences with L4? 

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 3 2010 10:23 AM

Hello Matt,

For 2010 select Intel CPUs now include hardware acceleration for graphical and video applications.  See this link: http://www.intel.com/technology/graphics/intelhd.htm

Notebooks with discrete graphics have better video hardware and are better suited for applications that heavily use videos and graphics.  Discrete graphics usually mean dedicated video RAM for the GPU.

Also, when I customize a Lenovo X201 Tablet PC, I don't see the same CPU specs that you have shown.  The Tablet version of the X201 uses lower powered CPUs - such as the i5-520UM (1.06GHz, 3MB L3, 800MHz FSB) and the i7-640LM (2.13GHz, 4MB L3, 1066MHz FSB).

I have used Tablet PCs in grad school, but have not used Lenovo's X-series.  However, I am using a Lenovo Thinkpad (IBM logo) and, although it is 3 years old now, it runs Logos 4 decently.  I, too, am curious about Tablet PC with Logos 4.  I can see how the combination can benefit in the classroom and in personal study.

David

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS