hermeneutics

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10
frank adams | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 4 2010 8:52 AM

hello all

i have become interested in hermeneutics

i have looked at Bakers hermeneutics collection 14 volumes

looks awesome to me,but i would like,if possible some other possibilities/opinions from anyone who may also have

some favorites-owned by them or just known about by them

i dont think i could go above $350.00 or somewhere near that price range

any help would be gratefuly apreciated, thank you,frank

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 4 2010 9:30 AM

Here is a good standard one: New Testament Interpretation, by I. Howard Marshall.  Also, check out this collection edited by Scot McKnight.

The Hermeneutical Spiral is a well respected work, too.  Definitely a must.

Those are all books I own and am somewhat familiar with.  The Baker collection has some great volumes, of course!

This book by Roger Beckwith is not really about Hermeneutics directly, but is a key book in discussion canonicity, which relates somewhat to hermeneutics.  Just throwing it in as a freebie--recommendation, that, is--it is most decidedly NOT free!  As always, however, ask Logos sales people for help and potential discounts.  I use jared (AT) logos (dot) com.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 4 2010 2:16 PM

At under $20 the Hermeneutical Spiral is a great resource.  We read it for an intro to Hermeneutics class.  I just wish it really was in Spiral form (its thick!)... thus another good reason to have it in Logos!

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 4 2010 2:26 PM

I'll agree on the Hermeneutical Spiral being a must have.  As a primer for that, you might consider reading How to Read the Bible For All Its Worth by Gordon Fee.  It covers a lot of the same material and is a somewhat simpler read.  Then you can move on to the Hermeneutical Spiral probably with better understanding.  You can get both of those books for less than $40 and then decide from there if you want to pursue more in depth study of the subject.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 9:07 AM

Doug:
you might consider reading How to Read the Bible For All Its Worth by Gordon Fee.

Good suggestion, Doug.  Perhaps a good companion volume would be "How to Read the Bible, Book by Book".  Perhaps not as explicit on hermeneutical principles, but will point you in the direction of how to approach each Bible book, with its unique features.  I like it.

Posts 2740
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 11:58 AM

Doug:
As a primer for that, you might consider reading How to Read the Bible For All Its Worth by Gordon Fee.

Yes, I agree. How to read the Bible for All Its Worth is an excellent resource to start with.

Bohuslav

Posts 1501
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 1:09 AM

I've took one of Stein's hermeneutics classes...it was pretty good. I disagreed with a couple things but for the most part the guy is solid. Here is his book in Logos format. A bit dated now being from 1994, but still really good for under 20 bucks.

http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/BASGDINTPBBL

A Basic Guide to Interpreting the Bible: Playing by the Rules by Robert H. Stein

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 7:49 AM

Joshua Garcia:

I've took one of Stein's hermeneutics classes...it was pretty good. I disagreed with a couple things but for the most part the guy is solid. Here is his book in Logos format. A bit dated now being from 1994, but still really good for under 20 bucks.

http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/BASGDINTPBBL

A Basic Guide to Interpreting the Bible: Playing by the Rules by Robert H. Stein

I hadn't realized it was available on its own--good suggestion.  I knew it was part of the Baker set.

The Baker set is a must, imo.

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 5:26 PM

Dan DeVilder:
Good suggestion, Doug.  Perhaps a good companion volume would be "How to Read the Bible, Book by Book".  Perhaps not as explicit on hermeneutical principles, but will point you in the direction of how to approach each Bible book, with its unique features.  I like it.

Yes.  I very much agree.  These two books together have been a big help to me.

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 9:49 PM

Using the great suggestions here, I've started building a topic at:

http://topics.logos.com/Hermeneutics

Need to do a lot more work on the journal articles in the reading list but its a start.

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 10:46 PM

Andrew McKenzie:

Need to do a lot more work on the journal articles in the reading list but its a start.

Thanks, Andrew. That's great! Made me envious that you have these two, though:

• Stuart, Douglas | Old Testament Exegesis: A Handbook for Students and Pastors
  • Fee, Gordon D. | New Testament Exegesis: A Handbook for Students and Pastors

They are no longer available and I didn't get them while I could. Sad

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 11:25 PM

Rosie Perera:

Its a great shame these are no longer available.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 11:20 AM

Andrew McKenzie:

Rosie Perera:

Its a great shame these are no longer available.

hmmmmm, do I respond with a Yes ("I agree") or with a Sad ("that stinks.")?  (Got 'em in hardcopy only)

Great work on the topics page.

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 4:17 PM

Andrew McKenzie:

Hey Andrew,

Nice job on the web site.  That's a great collection of resources. 

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 6:34 PM

Doug:

Andrew McKenzie:

Hey Andrew,

Nice job on the web site.  That's a great collection of resources. 

I concur, Andrew!             Just excellent.           And just now I went to my "ribbon," and there it is under recent reading lists.   thank you....

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 27594
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 6:49 PM

Andrew McKenzie:

You are off to a great start. One minor point - in the topic section,  the resources other than the those under web links generally don't show up. It would be better to move them into the reading list section which doesn't have a fixed structure. I added a couple of web links and an external section. Hope you find them useful.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 10:32 PM

MJ. Smith:

Andrew McKenzie:

You are off to a great start. One minor point - in the topic section,  the resources other than the those under web links generally don't show up. It would be better to move them into the reading list section which doesn't have a fixed structure. I added a couple of web links and an external section. Hope you find them useful.

Thanks for the additions. That's one of the benefits of a project like this, people from right across the globe with different backgrounds and experiences can chip in with a variety of materials than one person could not hope to be exposed to alone.

Posts 27594
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 10:48 PM

Andrew McKenzie:
That's one of the benefits of a project like this,

I have a question and I'm not suggesting that you move them, but what criteria did you use for putting these two in advanced?

• Williamson, Peter S.  | Catholic Principles for Interpreting Scripture: A Study of the Pontifical Commission’s The Interpretation of the Bible in the Church
  • Cherry, Shai | Torah Through Time

The reason I ask is that I'm still struggling with some questions of "difficulty" for my website and am curious how you placed these.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 11:00 PM

MJ. Smith:

Andrew McKenzie:
That's one of the benefits of a project like this,

I have a question and I'm not suggesting that you move them, but what criteria did you use for putting these two in advanced?

• Williamson, Peter S.  | Catholic Principles for Interpreting Scripture: A Study of the Pontifical Commission’s The Interpretation of the Bible in the Church
  • Cherry, Shai | Torah Through Time

The reason I ask is that I'm still struggling with some questions of "difficulty" for my website and am curious how you placed these.

There were a few in the advanced I wavered on where to put them. Cherry I though about putting under Old Testament and WIlliamson I thought about putting under Introductions along with the one by Ramm on Protestant Inerpretation.  I haven' t look extensively at these three yet, part of the reason for working on the reading list so I have something to direct my reading through these titles.  It maybe when I look more closely at them I feel they are better suited elsewhere. In the end it was a bit of an arbitary decision for now, based on the fact that each title deals with a specific faith background.  Maybe they belong in a separate category somewhere in between introductions and advanced, but I couldn't think of the right word.  Denominational didn't quite seem the category.  The word I wanted is on the tip of my tongoue at the moment so for now they ended up in advanced. If anyone has a better classfication I open to suggestions.

Posts 27594
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 11:06 PM

Andrew McKenzie:
based on the fact that each title deals with a specific faith background.

Okay, yes that reasoning makes sense - although I'd be apt to call an entirely different subset as dealing with a specific faith background. Your "classics" I'd never heard of before Logos forums. Big Smile

Anyone working on this topic might wish to look at the prospectus for a hermeneutic compendium http://www.mac.edu/faculty/richardpalmer/compendium.html

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS