Bug in NIV resource

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 118
Nicholas van Oudtshoorn | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 5 2010 11:27 PM

Hello,

Just to let you know that there seem to be some superfluous <span>elements inserted into the NIV resource text. (Not a problem in the NLT). For instance, Luke 12:13 has the text of the verse inside a <span> element. From what I can tell, it happens after each occurance of a heading in the text.

I'm spotting this because I'm using http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/81940 to not only adjust font sizes, but also to display verse numbers in a different colour (blue!) Of interest, why not simply set a CSS class for verse numbers? It seems like rather a waste of bandwidth(Smile)/good practice to have the same CSS styles being applied everey verse... [I know, I know, just my 2c worth!)

Hope you don't mind me pointing out these little bugs... I tend to use Biblia.com fairly heavily, and am loving it!

-Nicholas van Oudtshoorn

Posts 118
Nicholas van Oudtshoorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 11:36 PM

And a snapshot to show you what I mean....

Posts 118
Nicholas van Oudtshoorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 11:40 PM

Bug seems to show up in most translations.. The NLT is one of the few that doesn't have these extra <span> elements...

Posts 408
LogosEmployee
Bryan Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 1:39 PM

Thanks Nicholas,

This is not a bug. The HTML is generated from the contents of the Logos resource & is designed to match the style and layout of that resource as closely as possible. We don't use CSS classes for different parts of the resource because different resources choose to style or identify those elements differently.

This script makes unsafe assumptions about the organization of the content, which is why this issue will pop up sometimes. I'm sorry it makes it harder to tweak things with greasemonkey, but at this point there isn't a reliable way to identify a verse marker in javascript.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS