Bible reading plan--RESOURCE reading plan

Page 1 of 3 (51 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 50 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 101
JR Woods | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 29 2009 5:23 PM

I would like to suggest one important tool to the already outstanding Logos system--Resource Reading Plan.

Just as a anyone can set up a Bible Reading Plan to get through the bible in one year, it would be fabulous to have a tool that allows readers to set up a similar plan for any resource in their library as a link on their home page.

Nothing can replace God's Word for teaching, instruction, and exortation toward sound faith and conduct, but plenty of resources aid in our understanding of it. 

If we could set up a Resource Reading Plan such as we have in the Bible Reading Plan, I would be greatly encouraged!

Praise God. 

Posts 26244
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2009 7:37 PM

I'd like to support you ... however, I find the current reading plan useless.

1) I object to the definition of Scripture being limited to the post 18th century definition of certain Western protestant groups

2) I object to the assumption of sequential reading

3) I object to the destruction of any hand-built reading plan by actual reading ... rather than invoking an instance of a template ...

4) I object to the lack of coordination with the lectionary [to which I also have a list of objections]

5) I object to having to have so many objections ...

But actually, I agree with you that the inclusion of non-Scriptural items in the reading plan has great value. I would very much like to have Logos support items such as Missio Dei (http://thebreviary.com/) or Volume 1 of Take Our Moments and Our Days: An Anabaptist Prayer Book etc.

And, yes, there are Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican, Lutheran, Jewish, Celtic... similar material sitting on my book shelf. They are a very major source of Scripture in one's life for a significant number of customers/potential customers. ... And yes, I am having trouble convincing the forum software I don't need to be using italics.  It's not letting me turn it off when it was brought in by a copy and paste.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 101
JR Woods | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2009 9:58 PM

Martha,

I appreciate your candid feedback. Thank you for your perspective.

My only response is this--there are too many false assumptions in your reply to even begin.

It's clear you've composed a self-constructed, present-day, culture-bound view of what you think the history of God's Word is and how to approach it dutifully.

I can only encourage you to study the facts about scripture's origins, scripture's historical  treatment of the church fathers dating all the way back to the disciples of Christ himself, and the most profitable hermeneutic by which to study scripture's contents.

I am sorry you have developed such a pessimism toward God's Word. Your words make it obvious that you have been hurt by someone along the way and I know God has the ability to heal those wounds with your submission to his grace.

I ask that you not broadcast your unsubstantiated pessimism in that fashion again. There are cordial ways to address issues without sounding directly disrespectful and offensive and if you cannot see fit to engage your responses in that manner, kindly keep it to yourself.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2009 10:18 PM

JustinWoods:

Martha,

My only response is this--there are too many false assumptions in your reply to even begin.

It's clear you've composed a self-constructed, present-day, culture-bound view of what you think the history of God's Word is and how to approach it dutifully.

I can only encourage you to study the facts about scripture's origins, scripture's historical  treatment of the church fathers dating all the way back to the disciples of Christ himself, and the most profitable hermeneutic by which to study scripture's contents.

I am sorry you have developed such a pessimism toward God's Word. Your words make it obvious that you have been hurt by someone along the way and I know God has the ability to heal those wounds with your submission to his grace.

I ask that you not broadcast your unsubstantiated pessimism in that fashion again. There are cordial ways to address issues without sounding directly disrespectful and offensive and if you cannot see fit to engage your responses in that manner, kindly keep it to yourself.

Justin,

I don't believe you have even gotten to first base in understanding what Martha is saying.  Please refrain from making such statements when you have no understanding.  Martha is Roman Catholic so she objects to the Protestant definition of scripture which does not include the apocryphal or deuterocanonical books.  After this learn what it is you are responding to before opening mouth and inserting foot.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2009 10:20 PM

JustinWoods:

Martha,

After reading your response to Martha I started to doubt the level of my knowlede of English (it is my third language). I realized I have to learn it much better. I read the same post writen by Martha and haven't seen anything of what you were able to read there Surprise

Bohuslav

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2009 11:40 PM

Our plan is to support all versified texts next. (Versified books are more fine-grained and easier to divide up than regular books of prose broken by chapters.) Eventually we want to support reading plans for any content.

Posts 101
JR Woods | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 7:27 AM

If youre looking for an arguement, dont bother, its not profitable here

Whether she is catholic, protestant, jewish, muslim makes little difference in my statements to her. My suggestions eleviate some of what I saw as issues regarding treatment of scripture in general (talking about successive reading, and calling the reading plan "useless" and such) I dont know why you feel the need to defend her because it was not designed to be an attack. No one is attacking anybody here and if you feel the need to talk to people like that (ie "foot in mouth") then we have no reason to speak. I am on this thing to provoke others to good works and refining our understanding of Holy Scripture, whether protestant or catholic, that is always a good work. You on the other hand, did nothing but insult me in your last comment. I did not do that with her.

You dont think a roman catholic (or anyone) could use a good lesson in hermeneutics? You dont think a roman catholic could use a lesson in the origins of scripture? Well, if that's the case, then I can see why you want to tell me to take my foot out of my mouth. You can't get condescending with any one here, bub. Especially those whose life is designed around God's Word. If you cant write for the good of others--Spare me your sarcastic comments.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 8:04 AM

JustinWoods:

If youre looking for an arguement, dont bother, its not profitable here

Whether she is catholic, protestant, jewish, muslim makes little difference in my statements to her. My suggestions eleviate some of what I saw as issues regarding treatment of scripture in general (talking about successive reading, and calling the reading plan "useless" and such) I dont know why you feel the need to defend her because it was not designed to be an attack. No one is attacking anybody here and if you feel the need to talk to people like that (ie "foot in mouth") then we have no reason to speak. I am on this thing to provoke others to good works and refining our understanding of Holy Scripture, whether protestant or catholic, that is always a good work. You on the other hand, did nothing but insult me in your last comment. I did not do that with her.

You dont think a roman catholic (or anyone) could use a good lesson in hermeneutics? You dont think a roman catholic could use a lesson in the origins of scripture? Well, if that's the case, then I can see why you want to tell me to take my foot out of my mouth. You can't get condescending with any one here, bub. Especially those whose life is designed around God's Word. If you cant write for the good of others--Spare me your sarcastic comments.

I will spare you nothing.  You are extremely rude.  It's time to grow up, little boy.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 101
JR Woods | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 8:36 AM

Good, now that we've gotten through the insulting, condescending, ego-filled, non-edifying earthly, sensual and devilish comments out of the way...

God bless you sir, I pray the best for you and your family. I truly do.

God has a great plan for all of us. I believe that. Lets just try to make the best we can out of this side of heaven, shall we? Life's too short.

Posts 10517
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 11:18 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

JustinWoods:

Martha,

After reading your response to Martha I started to doubt the level of my knowlede of English (it is my third language). I realized I have to learn it much better. I read the same post writen by Martha and haven't seen anything of what you were able to read there Surprise

English is my first language, and has been for more than 70 years, and I did not see anything in Martha's post that justified Justin's attack.

I am Baptist, and I would appreciate a reading plan for the Apocrypha.

Jack

Posts 10517
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 11:24 AM

JustinWoods:

…I dont know why you feel the need to defend her because it was not designed to be an attack. No one is attacking anybody here and if you feel the need to talk to people like that (ie "foot in mouth") then we have no reason to speak.…

If you cant write for the good of others--Spare me your sarcastic comments.

Frankly, Justin, I don't see how you could call your response to Martha anything other than an attack. I thought George was being very gentle with you. Your attack on Martha, and your subsequent remarks, who a serious lack of spiritual maturity.

Jack

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 11:50 AM

JustinWoods:

Good, now that we've gotten through the insulting, condescending, ego-filled, non-edifying earthly, sensual and devilish comments out of the way...

God bless you sir, I pray the best for you and your family. I truly do.

God has a great plan for all of us. I believe that. Lets just try to make the best we can out of this side of heaven, shall we? Life's too short.

Not this way my brother. Not this way. There is nothing good possible to come out of that kind of tone here. I try to believe you did not plan it to end up this way, but if it happend, sorry would be much better conclusion.

Bohuslav

Posts 101
JR Woods | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 12:34 PM

It wasn't an attack. I can say that again.

I see people are quick to side here. So obviously anything I have to say at this point will be tainted with a negative interpretation in defense. Her response started immediatly negative, her term "useless", and asserted that comment against certain methods of studying scripture. I saw these as symptoms. I dont tell people to stop sneezing, I give them medicine.

Whether we agree or not, or whether people side with you or not,  is not the point. I may have come off harsh but introducing a comment with the absolute judgment of "this is useless" put me on the defense as well. While I stand on the admonitions I gave, I do submit that my tone could have been refined. I do have a record of that "bull in the china shop" mentality. I'm working on it.

Spiritual maturity? Maybe a bit. But anyone who says they have arrived in this regard decieves himself, I'm sure you can agree with that.

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 1:19 PM

JustinWoods:

I see people are quick to side here. So obviously anything I have to say at this point will be tainted with a negative interpretation in defense. Her response started immediatly negative, her term "useless", and asserted that comment against certain methods of studying scripture. I saw these as symptoms. I dont tell people to stop sneezing, I give them medicine.

Whether we agree or not, or whether people side with you or not,  is not the point. I may have come off harsh but introducing a comment with the absolute judgment of "this is useless" put me on the defense as well. While I stand on the admonitions I gave, I do submit that my tone could have been refined. I do have a record of that "bull in the china shop" mentality. I'm working on it.

Spiritual maturity? Maybe a bit. But anyone who says they have arrived in this regard decieves himself, I'm sure you can agree with that.

Thank you Justin for your explanation. I appreciate it. I know exactly what you mean when you speak about the "bull in the China shop". I am working on my temper also quite a lot. Have a good and blessed day.

Bohuslav

Posts 10517
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 1:49 PM

JustinWoods:

Justin

I believe you misinterpreted Martha's comment. She did not direct her comment "against certain methods of interpreting Scripture". She stated that the present implementation of "Bible Reading Plans" in Logos is useless. She then stated her reasons for that opening statement.

I don't know that anything you say in the future will be tainted with a negative interpretation. Many of us in this community have offended others at various times, but we still remain a big family.

If you are like that "bull in a china shop," you should get along well with George Devil. BTW, The Discovery Channel's program Mythbusters disproved the old "bull in a china shop" legend.

Jack

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 2:14 PM

JackCaviness:

If you are like that "bull in a china shop," you should get along well with George Devil. BTW, The Discovery Channel's program Mythbusters disproved the old "bull in a china shop" legend.

Jack

Are you implying that I am so pacific that I manage to get along with even the most difficult of persons -- even bulls in china shops? Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

Posts 10517
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 3:16 PM

George Somsel:
Are you implying that I am so pacific that I manage to get along with even the most difficult of persons -- even bulls in china shops? Big Smile

Oh yes, we can all believe that!Wink

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 4:08 PM

JackCaviness:

George Somsel:

Oh yes, we can all believe that!Wink

That's what I thought.  After all, I'm just a harmless, loveable little fuzz-ball  Wink.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 6:18 PM

JustinWoods:

we agree or not, or whether people side with you or not,  is not the point. I may have come off harsh but introducing a comment with the absolute judgment of "this is useless" put me on the defense as well. While I stand on the admonitions I gave, I do submit that my tone could have been refined. I do have a record of that "bull in the china shop" mentality. I'm working on it.

Dear Brother!  *smile*   Peace to you!

Please try to "listen" a bit more ...       Martha has a fantastic sense of humour - often quite subtle -   sometimes a bit oblique  -   but it's a very, very good sense of humour       

*smile*

Over a period of time ........            Over a number of posts .............     If one listens and thinks and prays ...  then one can begin to understand the other - his/her personality - character - feelings - hurts - prides - whatever!  *smile*

A small example       --       Brother George often annoys me with his comments          ....    and then the next day delights me   ....    Dear Brother, I, indeed, need to listen and to think and to pray  ...    and                   when I do                              I respect myself a little better ..............    *smile*     and the other a lot more!

Yours in Christ,

Mel

Milford Charles Murray

Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 10517
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2009 2:25 AM

George Somsel:
I'm just a harmless, loveable little fuzz-ball 

Now, where have I heard that expression before?

Page 1 of 3 (51 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS