Searching multiple Greek words

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 30
Aaron Frey | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 7 2010 4:13 PM

Everyone-

There has to be a better way to do this. What was very simple and powerful functionality with L3 seems to have become overly complicated and cumbersome in L4.

One of my favorite tricks in L3 was to copy the heading of an article from TDNT so that I could search all the forms of a particular root and get a better feel for the way the word group was used in the NT. For example, this week I was studying Luke 12 and came across the Greek word for covetousness in verse 15. Well, there aren't a huge number of examples of this word in action, so I decided to use that old trick of mine to widen the search so that it included the other two words that TDNT includes in the same article. So instead of doing a right-click lemma search on πλεονεξία, I was copying the three words from the TDNT article heading into the search box (πλεονέκτης, πλεονεκτέω, πλεονεξία).

Copying those three words into a search on the NA27 in L3 would have given me all 19 hits in NA27. In L4, it's 6. In order to get all 19 hits, you have to alter the search string so that it reads:

<Lemma = lls/el/πλεονέκτης>, <Lemma = lls/el/πλεονεκτέω>, <Lemma = lls/el/πλεονεξία>

Is that right? Is there no easier way to do this?

Posts 4606
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 7:49 PM

In L4 just right click the word from the bible you are reading from and select search this resource. In the search pane make sure you have match all word forms selected and each form (as shown in the screen shot will be present. This screen shot shows the analysis view of the search pane. If you want to sort your search by "form" just drag the header for that column above the header bar.

Posts 24955
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 10:02 PM

AaronFrey:
Is that right? Is there no easier way to do this?

Just vary it slightly; copy the words into a Morph Search & search NA27 for:-

lemma:πλεονέκτης, lemma:πλεονεξία,  lemma:πλεονεκτέω

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 30
Aaron Frey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 10:43 PM

Fred, I'm afraid your method only finds forms of one lemma. Note the Lemma column in your analysis. It won't find hits on the other two lemmas.

Posts 30
Aaron Frey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 10:50 PM

Am I correct in concluding, then, Dave, that the simple field syntax "lemma:" only works in a morph search? And am I also correct in assuming that whereas L3 would look for search hits in all levels of the text unless you restricted it, L4 will search only the surface text unless you tell it to search elsewhere?

Posts 24955
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2010 11:14 PM

AaronFrey:

Am I correct in concluding, then, Dave, that the simple field syntax "lemma:" only works in a morph search?

Yes!

AaronFrey:
And am I also correct in assuming that whereas L3 would look for search hits in all levels of the text unless you restricted it, L4 will search only the surface text unless you tell it to search elsewhere?

Yes!

You need

lemma:word, word

to include a surface search for the word.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 30
Aaron Frey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 2:11 PM

Thanks for the info, Dave. A little switch in my mental outlook toward Logos searching and I should be back to normal, then.

Posts 24955
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 8:31 PM

You're welcome. For more see  http://wiki.logos.com/Search_HELP

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS