Wanted: A Search mode to search *only* through the tables of contents of my books

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 9 2010 12:48 AM

I can't tell you how many times I've wondered if I had a particular book or knew I had it somewhere and wanted to open it, but it's not a book in my Library. It's included inside some other book, so I can't simply open it by typing its name in the command bar. This has happened to me most often for The Didache and various other books by the Early Church Fathers. It is such a pain doing a search for that title and finding all sorts of other hits which are merely mentions of it and trying to wade through them all to find THE ONE which is the actual content of that book.

PLEASE add a feature to Search whereby I can search just through Tables of Contents. I'd use it for this, but I'd use it for other things too.

(Also submitted to suggest [at] logos [dot] com.)

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 9 2010 1:40 AM

I like the idea;  would it require extra tagging in resources though for it to work ?  Maybe a table of contents start and end milestone tag would be enough so the search knows where to start and stop looking.  Taking the idea a little bit futher I wonder if it would be useful if you could just search other parts of a book like indexes and glossaries. We can search other aspects of books besides the surface text like footnotes and headings (where they are tagged) so it might be useful if these also could be specifically searched to narrow down our search results.  Ever increasing library sizes means as users we are going to be wanting more ways to fine tune our searches.  Getting quick results is a big win for users of Logos 4 and so now the focus is on how to I process all those results and and tied to that question is how can I get results sets give back results that actually answer what I was wanting to find in the first place.

Posts 27601
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 9 2010 2:02 AM

Rosie Perera:
I can't tell you how many times I've wondered if I had a particular book

Rosie, Rosie ... I'd be concerned with your mental health if you could tell me how many times. Reminds me of a programmer I worked with who wrote his every keystroke down in a notebook beside his computer. Unfortunately, this did decrease his productivity.Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 9 2010 3:09 AM

MJ. Smith:

Rosie Perera:
I can't tell you how many times I've wondered if I had a particular book

Rosie, Rosie ... I'd be concerned with your mental health if you could tell me how many times. Reminds me of a programmer I worked with who wrote his every keystroke down in a notebook beside his computer. Unfortunately, this did decrease his productivity.Big Smile

OK, Martha, you're definitely up too late and getting punchy. (Talk about decreasing productivity!) You're making a joke about a normal English idiom that nobody would find amusing when they were wide awake in the afternoon. Definitely time for you (and me) to go to bed.

Writing every keystroke down is helpful when you're trying to reproduce an intermittent bug... Wink

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 9 2010 7:34 AM

Great Idea! I doubt this would need extra tagging because the ToC can be displayed on the left of the resource. It would probably require extra indexing thought, but it would be well worth it.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS