Linking BW8 to Logos 4

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 221
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 10 2010 6:55 AM

Is there any documentation on linking BW8 to L4 resources e. g., HALOT, TDNT, ABD? I've been able to do so with L3 but there seems to be a few extra quirks related to L4 that makes it a little more difficult. Thanks for any suggestions/pointers even examples if you have them. 

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 7:59 AM

James, 

Some of my links from BW8 now work in L4 when before the latest upgrade in L4 they only worked in L3.  I can't figure out how that happened but here is one you can try that works for me to open ABD in L4 from BW8.  In the box in Edit External Links, fill in the following bold words and characters and, of course, check "enable the link".  If you prefer that I send you my shell exec file from BW8 init directory, I can email it to you.

BibleWorks provides        with this text type  

NULL                                     Latin text

Main location or event         Map verses using

Browse window English        NULL                   

Menu entry text

Logos Anchor Bible Dictionary

Web Page, file to open

libronixdls:jump|ref=[en]topic:<dummy>|res=LLS:14.0.4

Parameters

NULL

Description

Anchor Bible Dictionary

Posts 14
Don Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 10:15 AM

Joan, using your parameters, I am trying to get BW to link to words in TDNT, but I don't quite have it right. Here is what I have so far. This will launch TDNT, but won't take it to the right entry.

BibleWorks provides        with this text type  

Lemma                                     Greek text

Main location or event         Map verses using

Browse window Greek        NULL                   

Menu entry text

Logos TDNT

Web Page, file to open

libronixdls:jump|ref=[en]topic:<dummy>|res=tdnt

Parameters

NULL

Description

TDNT

~~~~

The line I changed was "Web Page, file to open"

The old line that worked in Logos 3 was

libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=<dummy>|lang=el|scheme=beta|res="TDNT"

~~~

Any help you or any one else can give would be appreciated.

Maranatha!
Don Johnson
Jer 33.3

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 11:18 AM

Don,

If I remember correctly, I can use links in BW8 to open up Logos to a particular verse in the ESV reverseinterlinears, OT and NT and use it to look up a given English word in a Bible verse in the Dictionary of Biblical Imagery, but, I never reached a point where I could get an exact lemma to open up in Logos.  I thought I was doing good just to get as far as I got.  Big Smile  There are some gentlemen who frequent these forums who may give you help.  FYI

Posts 5610
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 11:41 AM

Logos4 has implemented new style URLs.  Here are some examples:

logos4:Guide;t=Passage_Guide;ref=BibleESV.Da8
logos4:Information

logosref:Bible.1Co11.28

logosres:nsystheo;ref=Page.p_953;off=1401

logosres:esv;ref=BibleESV.1Co11.28;off=78

logosres:bdag;hw=κρίμα

logosres:bdag;ref=Page.p_567;off=924

logosres:tdnt;hw=παιδεία

I don't think they're documented anywhere yet.  But it looks like the logos: protocol is for opening basic Logos 4 windows, logosref: looks up a reference (using your preferred resources as a guide), and logosres: opens a specific resource (to a location, if specified).

It also looks like logosres: uses "hw" to lookup a headword and "ref" for all other type references. 

I don't have BW8, but, based on the example Joan provided, I would try using "logosres:tdnt;hw=<dummy>" in the  "Web Page, file to open" field of the External Link definition to set up a link to TDNT.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 14
Don Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 11:48 AM

Thanks to Joan and to Todd.

Well, unfortunately that doesn't quite do it... In fact, it only launches logos, it doesn't bring up the TDNT. however, it does give me something to work on. I'd be really really glad if logos would document these new style URLs. I think they are an improvement on version 3, but they are a mystery requiring sleuthing at this point.

Thanks for the help, though. Any other bright ideas also appreciated.

Maranatha!
Don Johnson
Jer 33.3

Posts 5610
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 11:50 AM

DonJohnson01:
Thanks for the help, though. Any other bright ideas also appreciated.

Have you asked over on the Bibleworks forums?  They have a forum area specifically for using BW with other programs.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 14
Don Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 12:04 PM

Hi Todd,

Yes, I have asked over in the BW forums also. So far no luck. I have been playing with different possibilities based on your post and managed to launch Logos3 with one of them... but not to the TDNT reference, just the title page.

I have to lay this aside for now... duty calls. But there are some possibilities from your examples and I'll keep fiddling with it (and welcome any other suggestions).

Maranatha!
Don Johnson
Jer 33.3

Posts 5610
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 12:07 PM

DonJohnson01:
Yes, I have asked over in the BW forums also. So far no luck. I have been playing with different possibilities based on your post and managed to launch Logos3 with one of them... but not to the TDNT reference, just the title page.

Just a thought...make sure the word you're testing with is actually a headword in the target reference.

Posts 1345
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 12:53 PM

Hi Don. I'm both a L4 and a Bw8 user, and used to be quite active in the BW forum. (My avatar is Spock ;) )

Due to a heavier workload than normal and some computer issues that only recently were fixed (by a new quad-core iMac), I haven't played with linking much between BW8 (in parallels) and L4, but I hope to in the future.

Ben

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 14
Don Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 10:39 PM

Hi Ben! (and hi again to Todd, et al)

I played around with it a bit more at the office. (I don't have internet there, too much of a distraction!) Anyway, I didn't get the TDNT link to work, but I activated a link to Logos NA27, which brings up the Nestle Aland Greek New Testament in Logos. This link I think was preprogrammed by the BW folks and works fine with Logos4. In the NA27, I right click on the word, with Lemma highlighted I have a link to the Dictionary of Biblical Languages with Semantic Domains. The DBL has a link to the TDNT.

So... basically it is three or four clicks to get to the reference I need. I would rather have just one, but I can live with three or four if I have to.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give once you get a chance to look at it.

Maranatha!
Don Johnson
Jer 33.3

Posts 14
Don Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 5:17 PM

Just updating this thread for any who might be interested:

Right-clicking on amartias in Rm 6.16 and selecting my link entry "Logos TDNT" defined this way:

libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=<dummy>

sends the following text to PowerLookup: a(marti/a

I assume this is the lemma.

Redefining my link this way:

libronixdls:jump|res=tdnt

Opens TDNT. Of course, it sends nothing to Logos.

I can't seem to find a way to combine the two and get what I want in TDNT.

The Logos URL in TDNT (from a Ctrl-Alt-C) gives (for example) something like this: logosres:tdnt;ref=TheologicalDictionaryNT.Vol._5,_Pg._654

The DBL has links to the appropriate entries in TDNT, but I am not sure if these are linked to the word or the page number. BW can't provide the volume and page number, so... I'm hoping there is some way to link to the lemma!

Maranatha!
Don Johnson
Jer 33.3

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 11:05 PM

[ I am using the PC version of Logos 4v1 Beta 7, so the link information below may not work the same in earlier versions, or other platforms. ]

Logos 4v1 creates links to headwords in TDNT, and the exact syntax depends on the selected index within TDNT. Some examples:

Link1 = logosres:tdnt;ref=GreekStrongs.246;off=534

Link2 = logosres:tdnt;hw=$CE$B1$CC$94$CE$BC$CE$B1$CF$81$CF$84$CE$B9$CC$81$CE$B1

Link3 = logosres:tdnt;ref=TDNT.Vol._1,_Pg._267;off=1578

Link4 = logosres:tdnt;ref=VolumePage.V_1,_p_267;off=1578

For the example of Link2 above, I do not know what the hex-bytes are about. I do not know if they are some internal hash code for that resource, or if they are Unicode for the actual Greek Lemma. I have not attempted to see what if anything I get if I use pairs of hex codes and assume they might be Unicode characters. I expect someone will document or explore that one day. If its an internal raw code, then the only way to get a valid reference will be to have Logos4 create it for you. If its a "simple" mapping to Unicode of the lemma, then an external application or program script could, in principle, build such a link.

Note that these links should open correctly if they are passed to the Windows Shell commands, which is something that most programming languages and scripting or macro systems would support. I do not know the BW8 application, but if you can embed these kinds of links somewhere, it seems BW8 should be able to open to anything you have in Logos.

I hope the above notes are useful. This linking feature in Logos4 is one of the very cool and powerful features, and opens up unlimited ways of interacting with other applications.

Posts 14
Don Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 13 2010 12:12 AM

Thanks Jim

I had noticed the link 2 example. If it is hex for Unicode, maybe we can get this to work eventually. Or if I can get BW to export the strongs number, maybe we can make the link that way. I'll ask  in the BW forum with your examples and see if I can get some answers there.

Maranatha!
Don Johnson
Jer 33.3

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS