Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3300
steve clark | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 10 2010 11:10 AM

i see very few of you linking to the wiki. Perhaps you don't consider it detailed enough, or somehow its not adequate to help the users. i was hoping that adding pages would have been useful for you when helping those who have questions. The wiki TOC now pretty much covers most aspects of L4.

Just a little puzzled here Confused

QLinks, Bibl2, Reporter, Macros
Dell Insp 1720
Core 2 Duo, 1.6 G, 4G RAM, Vista

Posts 13731
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 11:43 AM

mea culpa - I usually mention the wiki but am too lazy to look up the actual link ... but I already did this morning. I think you are right - fishing pole vs. fish type of thing. We should do more sending them to help or the wiki.

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 7120
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 11:53 AM

Ditto to MJ's mea culpa.  Same reason, same lazy streak.  Same woeful look of misery while I shuffle my feet in embarrassment.

Posts 5337
Forum MVP
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 11:54 AM

Sorry Steve,

I try to link to the wiki when I think about it but sometimes I'm in the mode of just getting an answer to the specific question that I forget the wiki has a much more detailed explanation. I need to figure how to link to a subsection of a wiki page too...

Posts 3300
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 12:52 PM

Not looking for recognition here. Wondering if i am using the time God has given me usefully. The window of time that these hours of work on wiki pages will be useful is only a couple of years at best. i have learned this from past work experience in the real world, a product becomes obsolete in a short time.

Also not trying to lay a guilt trip on any of you. i am just the little toe trying to help the Hand.

Kevin Becker:
I need to figure how to link to a subsection of a wiki page too...

there are 3 ways that come to mind

• Copy the contents area found in many pages to Word. From there you can quickly copy/paste into your post. (the link and subtopic text will be pasted)

• Another way that i prefer to use is copying from the wiki page itself and pasting into the post.

• Another way that i use it to just get the link and add it to a selected word using the clipboard and the link icon in the post toolbar.

1. Find the subtopic in a wiki page (usually at the top of the wiki page where contents links are shown)
    Right click on the link. Then in the pop-up menu select Copy Link Location.
  2. In the post message editor, select the word(s) that you want a link to be added to.
  3. Click on the Link button in the editor window's toolbar
  4. In the pop-up window, paste the link (right click in Link URL box and select paste)
  5. Press the Insert  button.

(details added for others viewing this post)

QLinks, Bibl2, Reporter, Macros
Dell Insp 1720
Core 2 Duo, 1.6 G, 4G RAM, Vista

Posts 1628
Forum MVP
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 12:57 PM

I tend not to use the Wiki much because the stuff for Mac is still being developed and stuff that was relevant even a week or so ago can be out of date. Probably once Logos 4 Mac is RC and Wiki for Mac starts to grow I'll refer to it more.

iMac 21.5" • 3.06 GHz • 12GB RAM • Mavericks 10.9.2 • 1 TB HDD

MacBook Air 13.3" • 1.8 GHz • 4 GB RAM • Mavericks 10.9.2 • 256 GB SSD

iPad 64GB WiFi

iPhone 5s 32 GB

Posts 5337
Forum MVP
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 12:58 PM

LOL Steve you're awesome! Thanks for the tutorial. Perhaps you should put that on the wiki Wink.

Posts 16431
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 5:23 PM

steve clark:

• Find the subtopic in a wiki page (usually at the top of the wiki page where contents links are shown)
    Right click on the link. Then in the pop-up menu select Copy Link Location.
  • In the post message editor, select the word(s) that you want a link to be added to.
  • Click on the Link button in the editor window's toolbar
  • In the pop-up window, paste the link (right click in Link URL box and select paste)
  • Press the Insert  button.
  • Arrggh!  I taught myself to use the HTML editor.

Dave
    ===

Windows PC, Android phone

Posts 6612
    Forum MVP
    Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 6:00 PM

Steve, I do try to point folks to the wiki. In fact on the blog article posted today I think Dan could have mentioned the wiki as another place to look for support. However I will say the wiki is unwieldy. There is no regular naming format for wiki articles and it it 'littered' with Bug reports and with articles that the content has been deleted from but the empty article still exists. Even when I know an article exists in the wiki I sometimes have trouble finding it. (Your work on the TOC has been a help).

Perhaps Logos needs to ask someone to be the wiki chief architect and give that person authority to clean up the organization of the wiki, remove dead articles, etc.

You've done a good job with your content. I think the wiki can save a lot of time in helping people.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 16431
    Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 7:06 PM

Mark A. Smith:
    You've done a good job with your content. I think the wiki can save a lot of time in helping people.

Yes, Steve, your efforts are appreciated and the wiki is probably used more than you think!

Dave
    ===

Windows PC, Android phone

Posts 2417
    Disciple of Christ (doc) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 7:19 PM

Kevin Becker:
    I need to figure how to link to a subsection of a wiki page too...

Steve thanks for the comprehensive answer to Kevin's question, I was just wondering about that yesterday. And thanks for your contributions to the Wiki

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS