Is Logos 4 For Mac Going To Be Officially Released Without Windows Parity?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 114
B. J. Clarke | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 10 2010 4:46 PM

It could be my imagination, but it appears to me that L4M is being fast-tracked for full release. It has been repeated again and again that L4M will achieve parity with the Windows version of Logos 4. I am amazed by the progress the Mac Developers have made in getting up to speed with so many of the features of the Windows version.

However, there are still some features in the Windows version which are not present in L4M. For instance, two of the featured blogs on the homepage this past week advertise the ability to do things which cannot currently be done in the Mac version.

This feature does not currently exist in L4M (Beta 5). Another blog this week is depicted below: 

This feature is also missing from the current version (Beta 5) of Logos for Mac. 

My question is this:  will these features be included in an upcoming Beta of L4M, before the full release of the program? Will L4M achieve full feature parity with L4 Windows before it is released?

Posts 71
Mark Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 4:56 PM

BJClarke

Both of the above features are working perfectly for me.

Using L4 (Beta 5) (4.10.4.3486)

Mark

Scotland, UK

Running just under 22,000 resources on Macbook Pro (2018) with 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9 and 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM

Posts 128
Levi D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 5:00 PM

Both features are also working for me also (Beta 5).

I spent most of my time in thinking of divine things, year after year; often walking alone in the woods and solitary places for meditation, soliloquy and prayer - Jonathan Edwards

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 5:12 PM

First of all, a small correction: both of those features are available in Beta 5. If you're having trouble accomplishing either of those tasks, I'd recommend posting a detailed explanation of what you're trying (screenshots will be most helpful!) and asking others to help you out.

That said, you bring up another point that is worth addressing: feature parity.

As we have indicated on several other occasions, there are a couple of significant features (namely Handouts) and a few minor ones that won't make it into the initial release of 4.0 for Mac. The primary reason has to do with our mission: to help more people do more and better Bible study.

At this point in the development of Logos for Mac, we have a beta product whose capabilities reach far beyond the scope of the original Mac product, yet there are many people still using the original product because Logos 4 for Mac hasn't yet been "released." We want to get this product into their hands as soon as we possibly can, and that means presenting a finished product, even if doesn't have every single feature that every user wants to see.

None of this should be construed as implying that we're giving up on the goal of feature parity: nothing could be further from the truth! We're just taking a little bit of time right now to polish what we have so that it is usable by the widest possible audience. After we've done that, and we've had a chance to catch our breath (I have been working almost non-stop on Logos 4 and related technologies since mid-2006…), we'll get back into a cycle of rapid releases, and if the past is any indication, it won't be long before you have the rest of your features.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 71
Mark Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 5:47 PM

David,

I have been using Logos since its earliest days and to now be able to use on the Mac... well it's amazing.

Thank you for all your hard work and vision you have carried for the project. There are so many of us across the globe who are reaping the rewards of your diligent labour.

Just wanted you to know how much we appreciate you...

Mark

Scotland, UK

Running just under 22,000 resources on Macbook Pro (2018) with 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9 and 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM

Posts 10548
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 5:50 PM

David Mitchell:
we'll get back into a cycle of rapid releases, and if the past is any indication, it won't be long before you have the rest of your features.

Thanks for the information David.

Posts 114
B. J. Clarke | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 6:26 PM

Boy, do I feel like a dunce right now. I misread the blog instructions "from the left menu" to mean that the choice would be on the left of the new window, when actually it is at the bottom right. The blog instructions are accurate--the menu that pops up after the right click is on the left. I just misread it and looked on the left hand side of the new menu.

I now repent with bitter tears! Crying Next time, I'll be more like the noble Bereans (Acts 17:11) and search carefully to make sure that what I am saying is really so! 

Also, I am grateful to hear that any features not present will be targeted for "rapid release" when the dust has settled.

Thanks so much for an ever increasing excellent product!

Posts 150
rog | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 7:17 PM

I cannot get either feature to show up as directed in the examples above in the first post. None of the menu items appear to do the map search or people search. Any ideas?

rog

Running beta5

Posts 226
Kurt Trucksess | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 8:21 PM
I second what Mark said. As developers, you need to know your sacrifices and hard work make a significant "on the ground" difference as pastors try to connect Christ to our culture. You are heaping up your eternal rewards!
Dr. Kurt Trucksess www.christ2Rculture.com
Posts 838
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 8:47 PM

Roger Walter:

I cannot get either feature to show up as directed in the examples above in the first post. None of the menu items appear to do the map search or people search. Any ideas?

rog

Running beta5

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 12:13 AM

I have to say that I am impressed with the rate of progress this year. At the beginning, it seemed especially with L4 Win still in development that there was no chance in the near future of catching up. Yet, it seems genuinely possible. We have come a long way since version 1.2 and I really applaud the work that the developers are doing and look forward to version 4 maturing.

Posts 150
rog | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 6:04 AM

Dewayne, thanks. But I'm not getting the menu's at all. I understood the directions, I'm just not getting those directions.

It's interesting that they don't even show up - if I could even get the menu items to show up, I believe I could get it done....

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 6:26 AM

Roger Walter:

Dewayne, thanks. But I'm not getting the menu's at all. I understood the directions, I'm just not getting those directions.

What Logos package do you have? Did you do a paid upgrade to Logos 4?

Posts 150
rog | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 6:32 AM

I'm running the "leader's Library" and no I have not upgraded yet, as I'm trying to evaluate it before I purchase - mainly to know at what level I want to buy in. The Logos... the website about the people issue says, "Note: Biblical People is a feature included in Logos Bible Software 4 base packages from Bible Study Library and above."

I'm also running Beta 5.
Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 7:12 AM

Roger Walter:
I'm running the "leader's Library" and no I have not upgraded yet

That would be the reason that you're not seeing these options. Despite the identical names, "Biblical People" in Logos 3 and Logos 4 are completely different data sets (the version in 4 is much richer). If you don't have these data sets unlocked, you won't see them.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 7:22 AM

Roger

Are you sure you are running Leaders Library? Your screenshots appear to be more consistent with Christian Home Library. As you say, Biblical People and Places should be there for Bible Study Library and above.

So I can only surmise that either you have Christian Home Library or you need to call Logos Customer Service to make sure that you have the necessary unlocks released for Leaders Library.

BTW I have opened all the passages which both you and Dewayne opened and they all offered Biblical People or Biblical Places as appropriate.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 150
rog | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 7:24 AM

Yep, I'm running the leader's library.... Perhaps there's something wrong with the install. Still the Logos website says that it's available in the base package.... so???

Posts 150
rog | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 7:27 AM

ah! a quicker check on the LOGOS website shows that I do not have these items in my older leader's library and would get them once I get into the paid u/g. 

Okay, guys! Thanks for the help and research. Think I know now! Surprise

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS