Beta 5 - Beachball of Death

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 319
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 1:15 PM

Tommy solution gets me to a blank layout. But as soon as I open a resource, it opens, but if I try to do anything (click in the reference box, try to resize the window, try to scroll the window, basically click on anything) I get the beach ball. It will eventually do what ever I was trying to do, but not without a beachball delay.

2015 13" MacBook Pro - 2 Ghz Intel i7 - 16 GB RAM - 500GB SSD - 2018 iMac Pro - 3.2GHz 8-core Xeon - both systems running OS 10.14.3 (Mojave)

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 1:28 PM

Michael Hite:

Tommy solution gets me to a blank layout. But as soon as I open a resource, it opens, but if I try to do anything (click in the reference box, try to resize the window, try to scroll the window, basically click on anything) I get the beach ball. It will eventually do what ever I was trying to do, but not without a beachball delay.

Would you mind posting logs of that experience, as well—logs with less "noise" in them may be easier to analyze. On a related note, have you created many documents on other copies of Logos 4 (perhaps on a PC)?

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 16
J Matthew Hildebrand | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 1:28 PM

I've got the exact same problem.  Just got logos 4 (Beta) and it doesn't load properly.  It just freezes.  Is Logos providing any tech support for this?  Anyone have any suggestions?

Posts 698
LogosEmployee

J Matthew Hildebrand:
I've got the exact same problem.  Just got logos 4 (Beta) and it doesn't load properly.  It just freezes.  Is Logos providing any tech support for this?  Anyone have any suggestions?

Indeed. Post your logs (instructions linked in my signature).

At least 3 Logos 4 Mac developers and 1 member of the Mac tech support team patrol the Logos 4 Mac forum daily, so in a sense, Logos is providing tech support for this.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 1:35 PM

J Matthew Hildebrand:

The first thing to do is to start a new thread with a thorough description of what you did before the app froze (even if that amounts to "I clicked on the dock icon; it came up, and then it froze before I did anything", or "I opened the app, "typed john 3 in the home page, and clicked go, then it froze") and post logs (instructions are at the top of the forums).

We do better than providing tech support on this—the developers themselves (including myself) monitor this forum, and we squash every bug we can track down.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 5154
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 1:41 PM

Hi J

Welcome to the group.

Firstly it is unlikely that you have the same problem - just the same symptoms.

May I ask a few basic questions?

You don't say which Beta you have (the latest is Beta5) if you have installed from a disc then it unlikely to be the latest version. Try going to the top post in the forum and finding item 6, that link will allow you to download the latest version of the software.

Have you allowed L4 to fully download your resources? (Has the blue icon gone from the bar at the top of the Screen?)

Have you allowed L4 to fully index your resources - this is usually an overnight episode.

If all the above are ok then a more detailed explanation of the point that L4 freezes (a screen shot might help) will allow us to be more help to you.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 16
J Matthew Hildebrand | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 1:44 PM

I must have Beta5 because I just ordered it this Monday.  Yes, Logos is finished indexing.. it took hours.  I've started a separate link for my inquiry as per peoples suggestions.  Thanks for you comments.  I will try what you have suggested.

Matt

Posts 319
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 2:06 PM

David,

I have been using Logos 4 on a PC since it was Beta (I actually run Logos 4 in Parallels on the same MAC). Also, I am not sure what you mean by providing logs with less "noise" - I am happy to provide any information that I can. 

Michael

2015 13" MacBook Pro - 2 Ghz Intel i7 - 16 GB RAM - 500GB SSD - 2018 iMac Pro - 3.2GHz 8-core Xeon - both systems running OS 10.14.3 (Mojave)

Posts 5154
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 2:40 PM

Michael

You need to read back a couple of posts where David said that the logs were missing entries due to the speed of data being thrown at them. This is the noise that he refers to.

Beta 6 may treat the logs more kindly.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 157
James Garriss | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 4:11 PM

Tommy Ball:
There was an error in the sync trying to upload. I think it was trying to upload the layout.

Does that imply I did something wrong?  Or that I should do something different in the future?

Tommy Ball:
Has everything been fine since then? Are you able to open L4 as you had in the past on all machines? 

Yes, everything appears to be fine.  I deleted the layout that caused the sync issue.  And it works on both machines.

Thank you again, Tommy, for your help.

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 13 2010 8:16 AM

James Garriss:
Does that imply I did something wrong?  Or that I should do something different in the future?

Not at all; Sync failure is generally either a failing on our part, or a result of losing your connection to the network (which comes back to being our fault, if we don't handle it properly).

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 13 2010 8:19 AM

Michael Hite:
Also, I am not sure what you mean by providing logs with less "noise" - I am happy to provide any information that I can.

The "noise" I refer to is anything in your logs that isn't directly related to your issue—in other words, the more quickly you can reproduce a problem in the application, the shorter your logs will be, and the easier it will be to locate the source of your problem.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS