What do you think about Thomas Nelson's new Essential Bible Study Library (CD-ROM)?

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 383
Stephen Thorp | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 3 2009 3:03 AM

Although I am in the UK I have just received an email from Amazon.com (rather than Amazon.uk) inviting me to place a pre-order for this new Essential Bible Study Library CD from Thomas Nelson. As it contains the Libronix engine and some resources, it may be an excellent starter to pack to buy and give away to a few friends to encourage them in their studies, at a price which makes giving it away affordable. I don't know precisely what's included as I haven't come across any contents lists. Does anyone know & what do you think?

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2009 6:50 AM

For under $20 there probably isn't much in there - but it should be a great gift pack to get people started on Logos. 

Apparently Thomas Nelson doesn't even want you to know what's in there, the item page does not list any details.  So I sent an email off to their customer support.  Hopefully they'll respond.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 5629
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2009 11:33 AM

http://rejoicesoftware.com/ebible_ebsl_details.htm

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2009 12:20 PM

Thanks Todd. 

That's not bad for $12.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2009 12:37 PM

Here is a contents list, in case the link stops working:

The Essential Bible Study Library eBible

• 30 Days to Understanding What Christians Believe
  • Answers to Tough Questions
  • Josh McDowell's Handbook on Apologetics
  • King James Bible Commentary
  • Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Commentary
  • I Never Knew That Was in the Bible
  • Nelson's Topical Bible Index
  • The New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
  • What Does the Bible Say About...
  • Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Dictionary
  • Nelson's New Christian Dictionary
  • Talk Thru the Bible
  • Illustrated Manners and Customs of the Bible
  • King James Version Study Bible
  • Nelson Study Bible (NKJV)
  • Word in Life Study Bible
  • A Heritage of Great Evangelical Teaching
  • Exploring Church History
  • King James Bible Wordbook
  • New Strong's Guide to Bible Words
  • New Strong's Dictionary of Hebrew and Greek Words
  • Nelson's Big Book of Laughter
  • Nelson's Complete Book of Bible Maps and Charts
  • Nelson's 3-D Bible Mapbook
  • On This Day
  • From This Verse
  • Strong's Enhanced Lexicon & Concordance
  • Tense, Voice, Mood Analysis of the Bible
  • Matthew Henry's Commentary
  • Nelson's Bible Map Collection
  • Visual Survey of the Bible
  • Nelson's Teaching Outlines of the Bible
  • KJV
  • NKJV
  • New Century Version

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 35
Monty | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2009 1:21 PM

this may be a dumb question, but .....does this come with Libronix version 3 ?  with all the automatted reports and tools?

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2009 1:42 PM

RickMontgomery:

this may be a dumb question, but .....does this come with Libronix version 3 ?  with all the automatted reports and tools?

It does come with Libronix 3, but most of the addins that are available for purchase separately are not included.

Here is the version of Libronix that comes with eBible:

eBible Demo

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 383
Stephen Thorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 4 2009 6:57 AM

Thanks to all those who ran with this to try and discover a bit more. Unfortunately, the cost of shipping this overseas makes it less of a bargain than it might have been.

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 4 2009 3:57 PM

Try the rejoicesoftware link that Tod provided yesterday if you want to ship overseas (Nelson want a fortune as they ship a lot faster but by courier !!)

Posts 411
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 4 2009 4:09 PM

I've purchased a couple of bundles from Rejoice and they arrived pretty quick. I was satisfied with their shipping.

Ken

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2009 4:44 AM

Stephen Thorp:

Thanks to all those who ran with this to try and discover a bit more. Unfortunately, the cost of shipping this overseas makes it less of a bargain than it might have been.

Forgive me for being a naive American, but doesn't Amazon UK ship form somewhere in the UK?

Posts 383
Stephen Thorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2009 5:24 AM

Hi Paul, Yes, naturally Amazon.co.uk would - but initially it was the .com site (which I believe to be American) that informed me of this product, whereas the UK site simply said it was unavailable and pointed me to the American site anyway - but thanks!

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2009 7:56 AM

Stephen Thorp:

Hi Paul, Yes, naturally Amazon.co.uk would - but initially it was the .com site (which I believe to be American) that informed me of this product, whereas the UK site simply said it was unavailable and pointed me to the American site anyway - but thanks!

I would imagine that it is just incorrect information on the UK site. It probably should be in "This title has not yet been released." status. Time will tell.

You could always contact Thomas Nelson, and ask who their UK distributor is. They would probably have better information.

Posts 118
Andrew Chuter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2009 11:05 AM

Stephen

It's on the Eden Books Website (Eden.co.uk) for £14.96 + free delvery - available from Nov.

Andrew

Posts 383
Stephen Thorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2009 11:48 AM

Thanks Andrew - much appreciated!

Stephen 

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2009 11:54 AM

AndrewChuter:

Stephen

It's on the Eden Books Website (Eden.co.uk) for £14.96 + free delvery - available from Nov.

Andrew

£15 does make it a little bit expensive for a "give away" for friends. Double the US discount price. I wonder if you could get shipping from over here for less than £7.50...

Posts 383
Stephen Thorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2009 12:49 PM

HI guys! I don't want to give the impression that I'm a bit of a 'pennypincher' - naturally I'll pay whatever's right, it's just that if you're not careful the advantage gained by the offer price which makes it ideal to give away, is lost by the shipping costs, but at least it now looks possible to purchase it over here which might be cheaper..

I think that Logos is so good that I would like to recommend it to all my friends (and not just pastors) but at £95 even the Christian Home edition is a fairly costly introduction for some. Which is why I thought that this particular edition might be a useful starter giving my friends the choice to expand later should they wish to .Sorry I think this all sounds a bit garbled - hope you understand!

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 5 2009 1:13 PM

Makes perfect sense to me, Stephen! Moreover, nothing wrong with being frugal either. Smile

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 6 2009 11:38 AM

Stephen Thorp:
As it contains the Libronix engine and some resources, it may be an excellent starter to pack to buy and give away to a few friends to encourage them in their studies, at a price which makes giving it away affordable. I don't know precisely what's included as I haven't come across any contents lists. Does anyone know & what do you think?

I think it is a nice introductory gift. Not a great loss if they don't use it but potentially a great boon when they too discover Logos software.

I see we have the contents listed above by Paul (thanks.) I encourage all Logos users to check out the many eBible collections and other third party offerings when you run across a special sale price. Although you may have 90% of the titles already, the remaining 10% just might still be a great deal when it is offered on closeout for pennies on the dollar. This collection has just one title I don't already have  - "From This Verse."  If I just had to have it, it costs $15 to download from Logos.com. So if there were 4 or 5 new titles it would be a worthwhile purchase.Yes

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 6 2009 1:32 PM

Matthew C Jones:
I see we have the contents listed above by Paul (thanks.) I encourage all Logos users to check out the many eBible collections and other third party offerings when you run across a special sale price. Although you may have 90% of the titles already, the remaining 10% just might still be a great deal when it is offered on closeout for pennies on the dollar. This collection has just one title I don't already have  - "From This Verse."  If I just had to have it, it costs $15 to download from Logos.com. So if there were 4 or 5 new titles it would be a worthwhile purchase.Yes

Matthew, if you tell everyone this, it will drive up the prices for us pillagers that build up our library cheaply Big Smile

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS