Why is the Mac Version so Slow? 8/25/10

Page 1 of 4 (75 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 74 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 33
John Featherstone | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 25 2010 8:31 AM

Very frustrating waiting for the program to launch or refresh. I'm running a duo-core 2.4 with 4 gig ram, and the "wheels" turn for a very long time in this new mac version. Right now it is much faster to run parallels, plus WinXP, and run the Windows version. The Win version makes use of all my library too, and the Mac version won't recognize my 3.0 disks  to add them to the library. Very Kludge at this point in the game. I'm sure it will be better later, but if you're depending on this as primary preparation software stick with the Windows version of Logos. or BibleWorks, or one of the other programs.

jf

Posts 3153
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 25 2010 8:40 AM

John:

Could you describe what it is you are doing within the program when it begins to run sluggishly? Preferably this description would include step by step what it is you are doing, so if you are using the Go bar on the Home Page for a verse or piece of bible text then knowing exactly what citation it is you are using would be very helpful. Logs would also be helpful in diagnosing any potential problems that may be occurring. If you look at my signature at the bottom there is a link to a thread that talks about how to pull logs. Thanks. 

Posts 1
Samson Varughese | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 25 2010 9:15 PM

I'm having the same sluggishness problem on my mac. Every click is plagued with late response. Frankly its getting annoying. On top of all that, it froze up 3 times on me today. I had to force quit all three times. Are these problems going to be fixed with the new release?

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 25 2010 9:39 PM

Samson Varughese:

I'm having the same sluggishness problem on my mac. Every click is plagued with late response. Frankly its getting annoying. On top of all that, it froze up 3 times on me today. I had to force quit all three times. Are these problems going to be fixed with the new release?

Lots of users find the performance acceptable, so most likely it's a specific configuration or problem with your installation. If you wouldn't mind posting your logs, we would love to help you. Logs give us concrete information for helping you figure out exactly what the problem is and how to get past it. See my signature for a link to a video tutorial on how to post logs.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 21
Paul Myers | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 6:50 AM

Overall I am very pleased and excited to see how L4 Mac has progressed. Thank you developers for all your efforts. Thanks also to all who post to these forums. I am a long time lurker, first time posting, and I have learned so much from reading these forums.

I'm also experiencing a general sluggishness overall, with frequent spinning beach balls for simple tasks like scrolling text. Also I frequently have to do a force quit to shutdown the program. I'm pretty sure these issues (for me at least) are somehow connected with syncing as the problems do not occur when I work in offline mode. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. I have attached my logs.

For His glory!

4643.Archive.zip

Posts 838
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 7:33 AM

Paul Myers:

Overall I am very pleased and excited to see how L4 Mac has progressed. Thank you developers for all your efforts. Thanks also to all who post to these forums. I am a long time lurker, first time posting, and I have learned so much from reading these forums.

I'm also experiencing a general sluggishness overall, with frequent spinning beach balls for simple tasks like scrolling text. Also I frequently have to do a force quit to shutdown the program. I'm pretty sure these issues (for me at least) are somehow connected with syncing as the problems do not occur when I work in offline mode. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. I have attached my logs.

For His glory!

4643.Archive.zip

I don't know the intricate details of how this works, but I have seen numerous others that posted their logs, and the Devs told them to open certain books, scroll a little and close them, and the issue was resolved. I think it had to do with the syncing.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 7:40 AM

I wonder if this is sometimes affected by syncing with another L4 installation running Windows (or even running in a Windows emulator on the same machine), as I have no speed issues using only the one Mac?

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 21
Paul Myers | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 9:26 AM

That's a good point, Alan. I do continue to use L4 in emulation though it is becoming less and less frequent.

Dewayne - I have seen, at least I think, the posts to which you are referring and have tried the suggestions listed but the problem remains. I had also had the issue with the lines showing up when scrolling, but changing back to default fonts and running the terminal command that was posted resolved that issue.

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 9:30 AM

Paul Myers:
Dewayne - I have seen, at least I think, the posts to which you are referring and have tried the suggestions listed but the problem remains.

The reason that such suggestions wouldn't have solved your problems is that the set of instructions is slightly different for each user. Uploading your logs would enable us to determine what needs to be done in your case.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 21
Paul Myers | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 9:32 AM

Latest logs are attached above.

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 9:40 AM

So they are; my apologies for being unobservant. Try these resources:

logosres:LLS:36.0.12

logosres:LLS:20.10.1

You also have three shortcuts that seem to be causing problems: "Show help", "Show program settings" and "Show Copy Bible Verses".

If you open the resources (you can just click the links to do so) and scroll, and then delete those shortcuts (you can re-create them later), sync should start behaving itself, and you ought to see a marked improvement in performance.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 21
Paul Myers | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 10:35 AM

David - no apologies necessary. I just wanted to make sure you found my logs, hence the quick reply.

Thank you for your help. This seems to have resolved the problems I was having - just as you said it would.

Thanks again.

Posts 33
John Featherstone | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 1:15 PM

I'm not finding the link that you refer to... that is a method to pull up the log files. 

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 1:39 PM

John: the links were for Paul (the ones that started with logosres).

In order to solve your issue, we'll need logs from you, as well.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 10:22 PM

John Featherstone:

I'm not finding the link that you refer to... that is a method to pull up the log files. 

Forum http://community.logos.com/forums/t/6731.aspx has log posting tutorial.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 150
rog | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 7:20 AM

I too am having speed issues on L4 for Mac... Would love some help. I went to: How to report Logos 4 Mac bugs, but that unfortunately links to youtube - which my internet filter blocks.... I understand you need a log, but I cannot for the life of me see anywhere to turn on logging in L4 for Mac... So, if I could simply turn on logging, I believe I could handle the rest - restart, u/l'ing the log, etc....

Thanks much!

Posts 698
LogosEmployee
Logging is turned on by default. You need to save a copy of your console messages log using the Console app and post it, along with the contents of the applications logging directory, which is stored in /Library/Application Support/Logos4/Logging.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 73
Chuck Lindsey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 8:54 AM

I too am experiencing general sluggishness... I just assumed this was part of what was being worked out in the beta stage but perhaps I have something configured incorrectly.

Spinning beach balls all the time for even the simplest tasks.

Logs are attached.

Thank you.48476.Archive.zip

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 9:58 AM

Chuck Lindsey:

I too am experiencing general sluggishness... I just assumed this was part of what was being worked out in the beta stage but perhaps I have something configured incorrectly.

Spinning beach balls all the time for even the simplest tasks.

Are you, by any chance, behind a proxy server?

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 73
Chuck Lindsey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 11:28 AM

Nope, not currently behind a proxy. I am however, running L4 from my MacBook Pro so I may have been behind a proxy server at some point or another. But not one I knew about. :)

Page 1 of 4 (75 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS