Why is the Mac Version so Slow? 8/25/10

Page 2 of 4 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 74 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 73
Chuck Lindsey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 11:52 AM

Scrolling is by far the slowest thing.... it's very very slow and it's actually really inconsistent... it goes from almost not moving at all to hyper scrolling past everything. Really difficult to navigate.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 12:09 PM

Chuck Lindsey:

Scrolling is by far the slowest thing.... it's very very slow and it's actually really inconsistent... it goes from almost not moving at all to hyper scrolling past everything. Really difficult to navigate.

Which areas seem to give you the most trouble with scrolling? Scrolling has improved quite a bit, though I seem to have noticed a little more sluggishness in B8. But in general, the resources are scrolling quite well. The tools aren't scrolling well yet. That is, notes, clippings, etc, will show sluggishness. Hoping to see this improved soon.

Posts 73
Chuck Lindsey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 12:33 PM

Exegetical Guide is painful. That's the main area where I am affected by the erratic scrolling issues. It just slows my studying down to a crawl.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 12:47 PM

Chuck Lindsey:

Exegetical Guide is painful. That's the main area where I am affected by the erratic scrolling issues. It just slows my studying down to a crawl.

That probably explains it. Scrolling saw drastic improvement in Beta 6 but the release notes said that this was for standard resources. Scrolling in guides and such hasn't been improved yet.

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/21386.aspx

Posts 2
James Gilbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 1:09 PM

What about the time it takes to pull up resources in the passage guide? Is this just a feature that is yet to be optimized or is mine running unusually slow? I know that Logos 3 is fairly instantaneous but Logos 4 sometimes takes two minutes or more. I have been attributing it to the alpha and beta stages but if it can be fixed I would like to know...

Thanks

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 1:53 PM

Do you mean the time it takes to finish generating the guide? It's a little slower than I'd like, but 2 minutes is probably longer than I'm used to. But I usually use a custom guide with a lot of the default Passage Guide sections turned off. Nonetheless, I do expect to see some more optimization in this and just about every other part of the program.

If you feel like you are having a particular issue, you might try posting your logs and see if any of the devs can spot a problem.

Posts 33
John Featherstone | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 2:10 PM

Tommy, Where is your signature? Where is the link that tells my how to download and send in my log files?  There is a link at the top with your forum id and information, there is an icon for logos, but there is no "signature" at the bottom with a hyperlink..... At least not the way my forum view is appearing. 

jf

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 2:16 PM

John Featherstone:
Tommy, Where is your signature?

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 73
Chuck Lindsey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 2:32 PM

Unfortunately, it's back to the Windows version (bleck!) until the guide scrolling issue is resolved. It's just too slow to use it as is right now. But otherwise the beta 8 seems to be almost there. Great work Mac team!

Posts 236
David Ladiges | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 2:37 PM

If you aren't seeing any signatures from forum posts, it's possible that you have it disabled via your "Edit -> Site Options -> Display user signatures" preference.

Make sure that is switched to "Yes" and save those options and signatures should display correctly again.

David

Posts 63
Apexite | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 28 2010 2:35 PM

David,

I just joined this thread, but thought you might want to have some quantification to the word "sluggishness".  I did a Bible search for a word yesterday, and it literally took 31 seconds for the results to be rendered in the search panel - but at the top of the search panel, it stated that it took 1.88 seconds.  So the actual wait was more than 15 times longer than the stated timeframe.  Why would that be?  And for a very simple word search, should it take over 30 seconds to render results? 

Apexite

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 28 2010 9:18 PM

Apexite:
So the actual wait was more than 15 times longer than the stated timeframe.  Why would that be?  And for a very simple word search, should it take over 30 seconds to render results? 

The time displayed in the search bar is the time to load the results from the search index. The actually rendering the results takes a lot of time, particularly for Verses and Aligned views. We have lots of optimization work to do on Search results display rendering. We know it's not as fast as we want it to be, but we made the choice to get it working first, then to optimize later so that our users could start using our software sooner.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 63
Apexite | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2010 9:44 AM

Tom Philpot:

We have lots of optimization work to do on Search results display rendering. We know it's not as fast as we want it to be, but we made the choice to get it working first, then to optimize later so that our users could start using our software sooner.

Tom.....Thanks for the explanation.  I like your thinking, i.e. "get it working first, then optimize later".  Needless to say, I'm hopeful the optimization makes it super quick in rendering - since many of us were spoiled with the lightning speed of L3.  Thanks for your hard work.  May God bless you and the entire staff with spiritual wisdom and understanding as you work heartily unto Him.  

Posts 61
David Sawyer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 1:04 PM

I'm having a similar problem with Logos Mac being unusably slow.

Here is my log file.  I'm looking forward to not using my windows version soon!4578.Archive.zip

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 1:35 PM

David Sawyer:

I'm having a similar problem with Logos Mac being unusably slow.

Here is my log file.  I'm looking forward to not using my windows version soon!4578.Archive.zip

David,

It looks like L4 Mac is syncing. We have a known issue that using the app while lots of syncing is going on will slow the application down. If you wait until the syncing is finished things should speed up.

You can open Console (which is under Applications > Utilities > Console) and click on "Console Messages". You'll see messages like the following:

31/08/2010 20:52:50    [0x0-0x137137].com.logos.Logos_Bible_Software_4[43974]    08/31/2010 20:52:50 |  INFO | 3 |     SyncManager | Downloaded 133 item batch with sync date range 08/22/2010 09:41:58 - 08/22/2010 10:19:06
31/08/2010 20:52:55    [0x0-0x137137].com.logos.Logos_Bible_Software_4[43974]    08/31/2010 20:52:55 |  INFO | 3 |     SyncManager |         UPDATED - { UserCreatedResourceContent, LLS:1000ILLSPRCHTCH, , False }
31/08/2010 20:52:58    [0x0-0x137137].com.logos.Logos_Bible_Software_4[43974]    08/31/2010 20:52:58 |  INFO | 3 |     SyncManager |         UPDATED - { UserCreatedResourceContent, LLS:WJB_ACPSAC, , False }
31/08/2010 20:53:01    [0x0-0x137137].com.logos.Logos_Bible_Software_4[43974]    08/31/2010 20:53:01 |  INFO | 3 |     SyncManager |         UPDATED - { UserCreatedResourceContent, LLS:46.20.16, , False }

Posts 61
David Sawyer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 1:55 PM

Okay - thanks for the update - I've restarted it and will leave it running whilst I head off for bed.

I'll let you know if this speeds it up.

Thanks again

Posts 150
rog | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 10:38 PM

Tom, I too am having slow response rates even under L4.10 Beta...

Here are my log files....

2555.Logos4.log

2577.Indexer.log

6787.nlog.config

6886.SyncClientErrors.log

Would love to know if you see anything.... Thanks.

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 11:25 PM

rog,

I don't see anything amiss in your logs. In what cases are you getting a slow response? Can you provide some context so that we can better isolate the issue?

Posts 16
Gavin Anthony | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 3 2010 7:53 AM

Yes, I have a similar configuration and have been experiencing such slow performance that I have gone back to using the initial 1.2 Mac Logos. I'm using the latest beta. I seriously began looking for alternatives to Logos (which I don't want to do--I have been using Logos from the very beginning) because it is unusable like this. Lots of spinning balls, and long times for search results to appear (10-20 seconds +), even though it says the search has been completed in under a second. All menus seem to be very slow. Am really not sure how Mac Logos can be ready to ship in this condition???!

Would be grateful if anyone has any illumination on this!

Gavin

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 3 2010 8:00 AM

I hate to say it, but the last couple of Beta's have seemed to get increasingly sluggish. Nothing specific, a general decrease in response. Scrolling of resources has gotten a little jumpy again; links are slow to respond; layouts seem to be loading slower, etc. I have just reloaded my Mac and the sluggishness continued even after the reinstall so I know it wasn't some new bloat in my system.

I'm assuming things will improve as optimization continues, but I'm just adding my voice to those who seem to be taking a performance hit somewhere.

Page 2 of 4 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS