NASB77 available yet?

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9127
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 26 2010 7:12 AM

Back in February there was a thread in which we learned the Lockman Foundation was willing to let Logos republish the 1977 edition of the NASB. That has disappeared from my radar. Does anyone have any more current information?

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/4027/95541.aspx

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 7:26 AM

No new information Mark, but I'm interested in a copy myself.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 5315
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 7:30 AM

Thomas Black:

No new information Mark, but I'm interested in a copy myself.

I would like access to this also.

Posts 9127
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 7:37 AM

Thomas Black:
No new information

With vacation and other things going on I thought I might have missed something. Thanks.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 7:39 AM

Mark A. Smith:
With vacation and other things going on I thought I might have missed something. Thanks.
Understood!  It's hard enough to keep up let alone to catch up.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 9127
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 8:46 AM

So the question is still unanswered, is this something Logos is considering? I hope we can hear from Logos on this.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 124
GeoPappas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 5:15 PM

I am curious.  The NASB95 is currently available.  So why would one want the NASB77?

Posts 9127
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 5:30 PM

Well, I already own the older version and don't use it much. However as I recall previous discussion, some prefer some parts of the translation of the earlier version over the newer one. I believe some use the older version in personal study, or have it in other software so would like to keep all their work in the same version. Like me, some would like to have it to compare translations occasionally. I'm sure there are other reasons. If it ever goes on pre-pub we'll see if there really are that many people interested in owning it.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 77
Geneva Smith Krag | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 5:58 PM

My reason for wanting the NASB77 was that it is my version for Bible memorization. The NASB95 version is sufficiently different to mess much of that up. Also, it is slightly more faithful to the original text. (Of course, the 1901 American Standard is even more accurate and "wooden"!)

I had the NASB77 in the older versions of Logos, but the old files wouldn't work in L4 like they did in L3. It was a relief when the files for the NASB77 were updated. The file is available (I can't see the need for it to go on pre-pub). Seems like the problem was a matter of licensing or something.

Posts 9127
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 6:43 PM

Niels Krag:
Seems like the problem was a matter of licensing or something.

Negotiated price, perhaps? Seems for the thread referenced above that the folks at Lockman were willing to consider re-licensing it for sale. You're right that no pre-pub would be needed. It would seem to be a simple matter to offer it once the licensing was worked out. Logos has been busy so maybe this isn't yet on their to-do list.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 7:11 PM

Mark A. Smith:

So the question is still unanswered, is this something Logos is considering? I hope we can hear from Logos on this.

FYI, this thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/17501.aspx, is a later thread with more info than the one you originally posted.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 9127
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 26 2010 7:40 PM

I missed that thread. Looks like someone just needs to throw the switch up at headquarters. Wonder why its taking so long?

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2386
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 5:38 PM

I emailed Bob Pritchett back in June and he forwarded my email from the Lockman Foundation to Logos' electronic publishing department.  I haven't heard anything since then.

I do hope they begin selling it again soon.

Posts 176
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 4:32 PM

The New American Standard Bible, 1977 edition is now available

Posts 62
Lester Busald | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 4:39 PM

What is the difference between this bible and the 1995 update?

Posts 176
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 5:09 PM

18 years  ...  Wink

The NASB update changes thee's and thou's to you and your's.

Posts 9127
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 7:07 PM

R. Quanstrom:

OOO. It's a bit pricey. I do have one, though.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 7:08 PM

Lester Busald:

What is the difference between this bible and the 1995 update?

From the publisher's version information:

The New American Standard Bible Update - 1995

Easier to read:

* Passages with Old English "thee's" and "thou's" etc. have been updated to modern English.

* Words and Phrases that could be misunderstood due to changes in their meaning during the past 20 years have been updated to current English.

* Verses with difficult word order or vocabulary have been retranslated into smoother English.

* Sentences beginning with "And" have often been retranslated for better English, in recognition of differences in style between the ancient languages and modern English. The original Greek and Hebrew did not have punctuation as is found in English, and in many cases modern English punctuation serves as a substitute for "And" in the original. In some other cases, "and" is translated by a different word such as "then" or "but" as called for by the context, when the word in the original language allows such translation.

More accurate than ever:

* Recent research on the oldest and best Greek manuscripts of the New Testament has been reviewed, and some passages have been updated for even greater fidelity to the original manuscripts.

* Parallel passages have been compared and reviewed.

* Verbs that have a wide range of meaning have been retranslated in some passages to better account for their use in the context.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 7:19 PM

R. Quanstrom:

Wow.  No discount for age.  Big Smile

Plus, it's less functional than the NASB95. (no interlinear or Strong's numbers)

The description is wrong, too: "Passages with Old English “thee’s” and “thou’s” etc. have been updated to modern English along with updates to words whose meanings have changed in the past 20 years"  The NASB77 still has the thees and thous.  It's the NASB95 that removed them.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS