Upgrade Logos Fee

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 172
Chris Ease | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 30 2009 7:33 PM

Why does Logos charge more money to upgrade than the difference of price between two products if you had purchased 1 "level" higher?  For example, I bought Leaders and now I want to upgrade to Scholars.  The cost difference between the 2 is $20 more for the upgrade, per the "validated" page.  If I had bought Scholars originally, I would have saved $20.   I just think I shouldn't be penalized to upgrade.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 7:45 PM

Chris:

Why does Logos charge more money to upgrade than the difference of price between two products if you had purchased 1 "level" higher?  For example, I bought Leaders and now I want to upgrade to Scholars.  The cost difference between the 2 is $20 more for the upgrade, per the "validated" page.  If I had bought Scholars originally, I would have saved $20.   I just think I shouldn't be penalized to upgrade.

If you bought a Toyota Corolla then decided you really wanted a Toyota Avalon would you expect to pay only the difference?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 8:14 PM

George Somsel:

If you bought a Toyota Corolla then decided you really wanted a Toyota Avalon would you expect to pay only the difference?

If you bought a Toyota Corolla then decided you really wanted a Toyota Avalon you would have to sell (or  trade in) the Corolla and then buy the Avalon at full price or at a discount

it would be useful to compare apples to apples, one does not "upgrade" a car the same way a collection of Logos resources can be upgraded (since cars do not have upgrade paths per se) 

Chris,

However, I understand why Logos charges more for the upgrade, they want you to buy the more expensive collection from the start.instead of thinking that you can upgrade anytime without a price penalty for not going for the more expensive collection

it is the same thinking that you have with wholesalers like Sam's and Costco versus Walmart or Target

buying wholesale  costs less than buying the same number of items separately

Don't think of it as a penalty for the upgrade, think of it as discount for those who purchase the more expensive collection from the start.

Alain

Posts 3707
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 8:32 PM

Chris:

Because LOGOS has to upgrade their database twice, rather than once.  If I remember from a similar discussion last week, this fee is comparable to the cost of transfering your books to your child or colleague.  Seems fair to me.

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 9:52 PM

Most of the $20, if not all is to cover the cost of two separate orders. The sales staff, computer support, etc. all cost money. Logos makes very little off the extra $20. You can check out a earlier post by Bob, where he talked about cost of customer service.

At the commercial level, many software companies charge an annual fee just to keep the software up-to-date. Logos has given the updates out for free (when downloaded), despite the fact that the costs to develop a new platform are now more than likely somewhere in the seven digits. I actually am surprised that the difference is only $20. I think Logos is being more than fair when you look at the whole picture.

Posts 89
JF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2009 6:57 AM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

But on the other hand many car dealers give a discount for return customers.  I know that there are operating costs and those costs must be covered.  But cannot these costs be shared over many rather than a few - thus making the cost more affordable to us all.  There are many books and resources I would love to have.  I can see ( and pray ) that these books would be helpful to my ministry.  It seems selfish on my part to have to buy a Christian/ Bible dictionary for hundreds of dollars.  I am not sure where that treasure laid up.

Posts 1937
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2009 7:10 AM

Chris:

A flat upgrade fee would not reflect business realities would be my guess. It would cost more overall for a company to sell six successive upgrades to the top product as opposed to selling the top product in the first place.  Unless a company is happy to underwrite that cost themselves, they generally pass on the additional processing costs to the customer.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2009 6:01 PM

The flat transfer fee is a recent improvement & seems fair for their troubles.

I had the wonderful privilege of selling my Scholar's Silver license with a 10% transfer fee and buying a Scholar's Gold license with a 10% transfer fee. (Also the Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary - 10% again)

I still saved money but $20 each time would have been real nice!Big Smile

Another benefit: My Install DVD still has Barclay's Daily Study Bible -- can't get that anymore.

$20 is fair.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 10743
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2009 6:50 PM

JF:
But cannot these costs be shared over many rather than a few - thus making the cost more affordable to us all.

I could ask, "Why should I pay more for the resources I purchase so that you can get a cheaper price on an upgrade." One thing you apparently fail to consider: Bible software companies and dead tree publishers are businesses, and they are in business to return a profit to the owners and/or shareholders. If there is no profit, there will be no resources. Business owners have expenses also.

If you think the price is unfair, vote with your pocketbook—don't buy.

Jack

Posts 172
Chris Ease | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2009 7:04 PM

Even though I posed a question about upgrade fees, I will say that I have spent at least $400 more on different Logos material.  I'm just saying I'm committed at this point with $700-$800 invested.  I enjoy Logos and can accept the answer of administrative cost.  Almost daily I check for upgrades and subscribe to Morris Proctor's monthly newsletter.  In addition, I read the Logos Blog and enjoy free downloads as well as a couple of half-price specials over the last 1.5-2yrs.  I get the bang for the buck, but a guy could hope to have a fee waived.  If anyone knows where to get  3rd edition BDAG for less than $150, please let me know.  Thanks for all the input.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2009 7:47 PM

Chris:
If anyone knows where to get  3rd edition BDAG for less than $150, please let me know.

If you want a dead tree version, I'll sell mine for $100 + shipping.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 172
Chris Ease | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2009 8:08 PM

Hey thanks for the offer, but I'm looking to enhance my Logos use.  I'd rather click than flip pages.  I should have specified......Logos BDAG 3rd edition < $150.Big Smile

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2009 11:42 PM

Chris:

If anyone knows where to get  3rd edition BDAG for less than $150, please let me know.

I doubt that will happen

Logos, Bibleworks, Biblesoft, and Accordance are all selling it for $150. the only discount you get is when you buy it bundled with HALOT (the discount varies by platforms)

I remember getting BDAG right after it came out in Libronix format for around $99 somewhere online and HALOT for less than $50 from ebay, the software was used but unregistered and there was no transfer fee back then anyway.

This was a while ago and I have not seen such deals since then except maybe on Campus at DTS where students  sometimes sell their packages for cheap. If you have a seminary nearby, you could always check to see if some students are advertising  BDAG . however, the transfer fee makes such deals less attractive

Alain

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 2 2009 12:38 AM

Alain Maashe:

Chris:

I doubt that will happen

Logos, Bibleworks, Biblesoft, and Accordance are all selling it for $150. the only discount you get is when you buy it bundled with HALOT (the discount varies by platforms)

Yes, I agree the best thing you can do is to buy BDAG bundled with HALOT. You need both anyways.

Bohuslav

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS