Suggested Layout for NT Study

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 52
Scott Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 4 2010 5:34 AM

When this was posted a week ago I got all excited because we were going to get a whole bunch of screenshots from the power users showing how they set up for study. So far Andrew is the only one I've seen. 

Come on experienced Logos users, help us newbies out.It really is a tremendous help to see how some one that understands the software sets up their screen for use. When I see one like Andrews or the two on the mac forum http://community.logos.com/forums/t/545.aspx    it helps me think of trying things I had thought of like leaving the information bar but moving it to the lower right corner two wide (very helpful) or the mac guys and using notes on my read through of the text. This is simple stuff but helpful because I had not thought of it. 

Please more screenshots from advanced users.

Posts 1643
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 4 2010 6:30 AM

This is probably too simple to post, but here goes:

That's the laptop screen: Bibles left, books/commentaries on the right, with the mini-windows stacked at the extreme right.

This works for me, because I like to see a whole column of context to what I'm reading. One version at a time is okay, though I do use the Greek and Hebrew alongside the English text (as you can see by the tabs on the right.) Similarly, one commentary at at time is okay.

MS Word is on my second monitor, which is rotated to portrait so it shows about 1.25 pages at a time. I find this works well for preparing lectures/messages.

Nothing exciting. Just productive.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 4 2010 7:42 AM

Scott Warren:

Here's my Current Layout for Luke Studies...

I have three monitors on the left and the right are 2@22" widescreens and my laptop in the middle.

What you're seeing are (from extreme left to right)

• My Wordprocessor (openoffice.org) With my current sermon in it's final editing stages.
  • Word study(ies)
  • Lexicon's, Search result graphs.
  • Copy Bible verses dialog on the bottom of screen 1
  • Center Screen...
  • My passage guides, exegetical guides and some searches.
  • Greek Bibles across the top, English Bibles on the bottom
  • Commentaries and other related exegetical aids.
  • Right Screen...
  • Text comparisons, Passage analysis, Various search windows etc.
  • Biblical people (+places and things) 

The left and right windows come and go and flex and change as the study progresses - watching me study is probably a bit like watching a bomb go off.  I use a few other resources not pictured.

Note the popup showing in the center screen bottom, it's Firefox opened to the forums.  Big Smile

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 4 2010 10:59 AM

It seems some use a definite series of layouts for sermon/teaching preparation and for others their layout evolves as they move through the process.  I am semi-retired and teach part-time, so for me having Logos platinum is like a kid let loose in a candy store.  So while I have a series of layouts, I generally use some version of the following unless I am using a word processor or limited to just a laptop.  I use a laptop  and a 22" inch monitor and usually use four full columns, although on this screen shot I am using study notes on the lower half of one column.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 579
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 4 2010 2:47 PM

Scott Warren:

Here's my current one - 5 panels with a total of 49 resources presently included (I'm using a widescreen laptop):

When working with commentaries I like to keep a large panel open on the right for Power Lookup so I can see all the notes and Bible references.  Other tools & guides hide behind it, as well as BDAG. I keep a small Information panel open at the bottom, sometimes in the middle and sometimes on the right. The commentaries plus other resources I've found using My Passage Guide are in the large middle panel.  The upper left panel has Bibles (English and Greek) linked together and set at the NT passage that I'm studying. It also has a Synopsis and all the various Greek textual and background commentaries.  The bottom left has Bibles (English, Hebrew, LXX) linked together and targeted to whatever OT cross-reference comes up in the NT passage. It also has background resources commentaries might cite like Pseudepigrapha, Dead Sea Scrolls, Mishnah, Josephus etc.

Posts 52
Scott Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 4 2010 8:13 PM

Thanks to everyone who has posted screenshots of their layouts, it is truly helpful.

Posts 18778
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 4 2010 8:29 PM

Lots of great ideas here! I've added a link to this thread on the wiki Tips from the Forum page under Layout Questions (which is also linked in from the Layouts page on the wiki).

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS