The Future of Logos Bible Software 10 years From Now.....

Page 2 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 46 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4917
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2010 6:03 PM

Frank Sauer:

....and the dedicated forum users are begging Bob for the Beta version of Logos 8 because they are going through withdrawal...

Seven reflects completeness. Would there be a need for Eight....

Posts 634
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2010 6:10 PM

The Sacred Assembly version... :)

Posts 67
Brian Whalen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 30 2010 10:55 PM

I recently heard an argument that Matthew was initially a Hebrew/Aramaic composition, not Greek.  Not saying I buy it, just that some think it.

Brian Whalen

http://www.mcnazarene.com

Posts 26294
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 12:00 AM

Brian Whalen:
I recently heard an argument that Matthew was initially a Hebrew/Aramaic composition, not Greek.  Not saying I buy it, just that some think it.

Perhaps Eusebius? or a few Medieval manuscripts? I just started a (very) short reading list on this - even put in some web links that might show up on a topic search. I left out the current controversy since I didn't know anything about any of the groups involved.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26294
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 12:14 AM

Lynden Williams:
What are your projections for the future?

I just realized I blew my initial answer entirely. Since the invention of virtual time travel the Jesus Seminar has been unemployed ... we can check out the real deal. Paul's lost letters are found, the ur-manuscripts with no scribal copy errors have been found (unfortunately, the apostles clearly cut costs since the scribes' spelling leaves something to be desired). We have complete copies of all the books mentioned in the Hebrew Scriptures. Scholars are having so much fun with the new materials that time travel brought into Logos that they think they are in heaven ... okay, only when they are completely lost in their work which is frequent enough to be causing family rifts. Some individuals, unfortunately, are coming to blows over the algorithms and reliability of the time travel observations because it doesn't match their favorite theory. Unfortunately this violent side-effect is found among people of every belief including atheists, agnostics, Republicans and Democrats ... And the rest of us? We stay up all night playing with / testing/ using Logos and answering forum posts. Logos users have increased the demand for coffee three-fold making the price of a single decent espresso shot ... (oops I think I drifted back to the current Logos).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 112
T MacLeod | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 8:47 AM

Brian Whalen:

That's an ancient but ultimately unfounded view. It's based on a claim by Papias that Matthew had written something in "a Hebrew dialect," which later interpreters misunderstood as referring to the Gospel of Matthew.  But there is no reason to think that Matthew, as we have it, is a translation. Further, it's dependence on Mark would also exclude that possibility.

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 9:20 AM

Andrew McKenzie:

And it will now be 3 years since M.J Smith retired as head of the Eastern Orthodox Resource Development Division after serving in the role for 5 years.

That made me laugh. Brilliant!

COM API will have expanded to allow a programmer to do anything with Logos and JimT will have written a complete Logos replacement app that does backups of fine granularity.

Since there will be universal unlimited inexpensive highpeed wireless Internet around the world, everyone will be able to download their new books in just a few seconds, no matter where they are.

Tes will have his Amharic Bible, and Bohuslav his Czech Bibles.

There will be nothing left on the pre-pubs page that has been there more than 6 months, since all the rest will have reached 100% and been completed already.

People will be complaining about the missing features from Logos 6 that aren't yet in Logos 7 as the entire thing will have been redesigned from the ground up again to take advantage of new technologies.

Nearly 50% of seminaries in North America will be teaching Biblical languages and exegesis through distance education with Logos training videos and software as the primary tools.

Melissa Snyder will be VP of Quality Assurance and Beta Tester Relations, with a staff of 35 under her. But she'll still be active on the forums. So will Bob Pritchett.

Rosie and others will have upgraded their libraries from Portfolio to Suitcase edition.

Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 9:25 AM

Rosie you are on a roll, keep it up. Great ideas. I started this thread, with the increase of computer speed in mind. The rest of you jump in and tell Logos where you would like to see the software/company in the next 10 years.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 4:52 PM

Rosie Perera:
COM API will have expanded to allow a programmer to do anything with Logos and JimT will have written a complete Logos replacement app that does backups of fine granularity.

But even with the many thousands that prefer that user-generated front-end, over the official Logos8, most are confused as to why many of the icons open photos of dogs with pointed sticks, rather than some old document dug up in a clay pot from some cave!

Posts 55
J Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 5 2010 4:27 PM

I would love it if we could create our own commentaries, dictionaries, or other user-created books that doesn’t require using Personal Book Builder. I like the idea of creating my own Logos package, it would make cost less, and not force me to buy books I’ll never read, or use. Tagging books that are for different faiths/religions, like the Catholic Encyclopedia would be tagged ‘Catholic’, a Baptist Hymnal would be tagged ‘Baptist’ and so on. This way it would be easy to see the books you want, as it’s not always easy to tell which commentary has your faith in mind, or some other faith in mind.

Posts 26294
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 5 2010 5:59 PM

I assume you know that you can use Mytags to attach a denomination to a document.

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 5 2010 7:29 PM

J Hale:
I would love it if we could create our own commentaries, dictionaries, or other user-created books that doesn’t require using Personal Book Builder.

What tool would you want to use to create your own books if not Personal Book Builder? I'm not sure why you'd want to avoiod PBB? (Other than the fact that it isn't available yet for L4.)

Posts 4917
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 5 2010 10:56 PM

Rosie Perera:

J Hale:
I would love it if we could create our own commentaries, dictionaries, or other user-created books that doesn’t require using Personal Book Builder.

What tool would you want to use to create your own books if not Personal Book Builder? I'm not sure why you'd want to avoiod PBB? (Other than the fact that it isn't available yet for L4.)

Martha's discussed this elsewhere but don't know the thread off hand or a good way to search for it.  It centred around a tool for building your own lexicon  lectionary with the information being entered immediately being available for searching, inclusion in a passage guide etc rather than having to compile the resource.  Not sure on how that would be accomplished but that's the short of it, probably with some important points missed. I guess it would be more like a wiki than a resource file.

Posts 26294
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 5 2010 11:40 PM

Andrew McKenzie:
Martha's discussed this elsewhere but don't know the thread off hand

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/22066/165027.aspx#165027

What I was suggesting was a collection of quotations with the ability to add quotations that were not in your Logos resources. This idea takes advantage of the fact that a catenas are built as commentary on Scripture passages. My idea was an extension of existing capabilities - clippings and notes - and leveraging tagging that already exists in the Scriptures and clippings. This is not an all-purpose creation technique. To get reasonable search capabilities and response times on anything other than small, wholly user-created resources requires the PBB capabilities.

Posts 18
Christopher Guest | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2010 12:59 AM

In ten years time my copy of Logos will go all the way to version 11.

It will also be able to display a prophetic timeline, relating bible passages to factual outcomes.

My Mac can go all the way to OS XI

www.bournvillechurch.co.uk

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2010 1:54 AM

Christopher Guest:

In ten years time my copy of Logos will go all the way to version 11.

Smile

In ten years, the screen I run Logos on will go all the way across the sky. Woooo!!!!!

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2010 6:26 AM

Here's a suggestion for the future....I have a lot of Commentaries, likely I will have more in 15 years.  Wouldn't it be nice if the software was able to analyze ALL my commentaries, or Collections for that matter, and highlight ones were what was said is contextually different? It could categorize by the context of what it says. I find it tedious sometimes to look through many Commentaries related to a passage, and most say a very similar thing...then you find a commentary that has a different idea - that's what I am trying to find, to push my thinking, to do further research upon, etc.!

Posts 962
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 15 2013 2:01 AM

1) User spending on Logos has been sufficient for them to invest in creating the new generation of tools.

2) Upgrading can be done with a 'build your own' base package tool. Tick what interests you from the list + add anything else from the catalogue and get a dynamic price.

3) Logos is fully native on linux or fully functional online.

4) There is an e-ink device with a logos app equivalent to the current ipad edition.Star

5) Logos has extensive features and tutorials aimed at helping you to learn to read biblical languages with some fluency eg. drills for parsing, syntactic analysis, vocabulary etc.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 962
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 15 2013 2:42 AM

7) CryingI'll no longer have to buy a bundle to get a specific book. All books will be available individually as well as in bundles.

8) CryingAll books will support read aloud.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 1937
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 15 2013 3:37 AM

Someone will have found the original NT manuscripts signed originally by Paul and the other writers on Google Earth and sold the manuscripts to scholars who refuse to let the world take a look at them.  Logos 7 becomes the first major software company to scan them secretly and offer them on community pricing starting at $100 per NT book.

Page 2 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS