NICNT Luke on pre-pub! Looks like Logos is beginning to split up this excellent commentary series!

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 34 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5321
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2010 2:34 PM

Michael Aubrey:

This is an previous edition of Luke for the NIC that hasn't yet been available. There are ten older NICNT volumes that aren't available in the NIC collection like this one.

Cool

I bought a second hand copy of a 1975 reprint of this a year or two ago on e-bay.  I was looking at Luke at the time and found this volume kept getting referenced in others I was reading.  Nice to now be able to get this in Logos.  Hopefully the others will come.  Below is the front cover an inner flap dust jacket in case anyone wants to read the blurbs from the time.Back Cover an back flap mainly talk about the set so I've just included the snippet for the back inner flap which includes a bit more info on the author than the pre-pub page offers.

Posts 2764
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2010 2:59 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Nathan Lentfer:

The name on the cover art is Green. That might be where the confusion started.

No, it is not. It is Norval Geldenhuys. You can see it on the magnified picture:

Bohuslav, Nathan is right. The cover art was showing Joel Green but it has now been corrected. See Thomas pics above for confirmation of this.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 8635
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2010 3:01 PM

Ted hans:
See Thomas pics above for confirmation of this.

Unfortunately Ted, what I did was link to the image instead of downloading a copy.  Now my linked image looks strangely out of place in the conversation.  But it DID say Green.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2764
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2010 3:15 PM

Thomas Black:
Ted hans:
See Thomas pics above for confirmation of this.

Unfortunately Ted, what I did was link to the image instead of downloading a copy.  Now my linked image looks strangely out of place in the conversation.  But it DID say Green.

All is not lost! I have a capture copy which shows Joel Green. Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 8635
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2010 3:58 PM

Ted Hans:
All is not lost! I have a capture copy which shows Joel Green.

What a strange lot we are.  Thanks Ted.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 18885
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2010 5:56 PM

Ted Hans:
All is not lost! I have a capture copy which shows Joel Green.

Whew! Thank you, Ted, for confirming my sanity. It was a conspiracy after all, but we've beat them at their own tricks! Smile

Michael Aubrey:

Rosie Perera:
I truly must be seeing things, then. That was my initial thought -- that this must be an older volume. But I checked it and could swear that I saw Joel Green as the author on this pre-pub description page and then checked my own library and saw that was the same author's name, which is why I came to the conclusion I came to and posted as I did. DId someone pull a fast one on me and fix a misprint on the pre-pub description page just since I posted that? Tongue Tied

No...I don't think so. I proofed the page for the poster. It had the right author when I read it. Perhaps its the new style cover that did it...

New style cover and the actual name Joel Green on the new style cover. I knew I wasn't seeing things...

Posts 9138
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2010 6:03 PM

Ted Hans:

Great Photoshop job, Ted. And all for Rosie. Nice!

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 18885
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2010 6:13 PM

Mark A. Smith:

Ted Hans:

Great Photoshop job, Ted. And all for Rosie. Nice!

Touché!

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 4:56 AM

Ted Hans:

Bohuslav, Nathan is right. The cover art was showing Joel Green but it has now been corrected. See Thomas pics above for confirmation of this.

Ted

Ok, Ok, I just magnified the picture from Thomas post. Smile

EDIT:  I hope, after all that mysterious changes of pictures, the book will gain support really fast Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 18885
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 9:11 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

EDIT:  I hope, after all that mysterious changes of pictures, the book will gain support really fast Smile

It's already over 50% in just one day. A good sign. Maybe the image switcheroo was a covert attempt to drum up interest. Heh, heh.

Posts 97
Al | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 10:55 AM

I don't know....maybe they should give us the older and newer version for that price, since there was so much confusion.

Posts 2843
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 8:31 PM

I hope they do them all.  I especially would want Ephesians and Colossians.  I would buy anything by F. F. Bruce.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 12
Freddy Lam | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2010 8:35 PM

Would anyone know if D.A. Carson have a reason to be biased against the Norval Geldenhuys version of NICNT over Joel B. Green? Anyone else read both and have the same conclusion? Anyone differ?

Posts 7386
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2010 9:26 PM

I just wonder how he has time to read all of the commentaries he's surveyed to give his opinion about them.  I recently got Lange's Commentary on the Holy Scriptures and he's got it listed in the section Older Commentaries, but says nothing positive or negative about them.  In some instances he sort of contradicts  himself (IMO).

For example: In one section "1.2.2 Series worth noting but not pursuing" he says the College Press NIV commentaries are "usually aimed at the lay student or poorly trained pastor, but they are not robust enough to be the primary support for well-trained students and preachers" - yet in a later section titled "1.2.3 More substantial series" he says of the College Press NIV commentaries the following: "The College Press NIV Commentary has a slightly misleading name, since College Press is a product of the Restorationist movement. This series is an attempt to break into a slightly more scholarly market. Most of the contributions that have appeared so far are decidedly on the light side, but some of the volumes are stronger." So is it not worth pursuing or is it more substantial that people should get it? 

I have the complete OT and NT College Press NIV commentaries and  I can honestly say that the NT is stronger than the OT.  I'm kind of disappointed on the OT volumes (e.g. Psalms, Isaiah, Proverbs and others), though there are some that are nicely done (e.g. Leviticus, Exodus, Genesis and others).  Anyway, I wonder if Carson has really gone completely gone through all of the commentaries.  It'd be amazing if he did considering all the writing he does and all other responsibilities that he might have.  Over all, I won't be harsh on  him, I really like several of his books and commentaries.  I borrowed a book from a friend that Carson wrote and he kind of lost me a little bit "Exegetical Fallacies" but I might get it in the future.

Alright, that's all folks!

Posts 217
Danny Baskin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2010 8:02 AM

Freddy Lam:

Would anyone know if D.A. Carson have a reason to be biased against the Norval Geldenhuys version of NICNT over Joel B. Green? Anyone else read both and have the same conclusion? Anyone differ?

Freddy,

I've got both, and I prefer Green's work. It's much more in-depth IMO. 

db

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS