College Press -- Bible Study Textbook series

Page 1 of 4 (62 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 61 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 1 2009 7:03 PM

There was a series in the 70's published by College Press (Joplin, MO) called The Bible Study Textbook Series.. It  featured quite a few good authors. Jack Cottrell is one of those authors that already appears in some Libronix releases.

The set was put together well and featured outlines, maps and clear writing. I'm pretty sure the set is out of print and won't be published again. A complete set has been posted online in scanned PDF format for free downloading.(Thanks to College Press for being so generous!) I just wondered if they could be persuaded to allow it to be published in Libronix format?

This would be a nice set for a comprehensive survey. I've already enjoyed it in PDF form for a long time.

The Authors: T. R. Applebury, Robert E. Black, Don Earl Boatman, Paul T. Butler, Jack Cottrell, C. C. Crawford, Don DeWelt, Brant Lee Doty, Grayson H. Ensign, Wilbur Fields, Harold Fowler, Clinton Gill, Donald Hunt, B. W. Johnson, R. J. Kidwell, Bruce Oberst, Ruben Ratzlaff, Gareth Reese, J. B. Rotherham, James E. Smith, James Strauss, W. Wartick, Seth Wilson, W. W. Winter

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 604
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 2 2009 11:09 AM

I would heartily second this recommendation. I "cut my eye teeth" on this set of commentaries while in  Bible College. I, too, have all of the available PDF and you can search them, but that search is VERY limited. Putting them into Logos format would be a great step for the Kingdom.

Posts 1659
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 2 2009 7:17 PM

Matthew, thanks for the link. Would love to see these in Logos as well. Perhaps someone will turn them into PBBs.

I have several of those books on my shelves from my Ozark Bible College days, and am downloading others from your link. Will never forget Seth Wilson's Life of Christ classes.

Kudos to College Press for their big vision in making available for download the books they are not reprinting. That's great.

Posts 209
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2009 1:23 AM

Thanks for the link, very good commentaries indeed.   I would like to see it in Libronix format too!

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free", John 8:32.
"你們必定認識真理,真理必定使你們自由", 約翰福音 8:3.

Posts 170
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2009 8:43 AM

I also would like to see this put into logos.

Posts 3834
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 12:53 PM

does anybody know if these have been put into PBB format?  They are spotty, but some I really like to use.  Fowler's on Matthew, especially.  I think the Isaiah one, too.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 2
Gerard G. Blankenbaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 5:37 AM

How is this done? Isn't there a tool to turn them in to PBB? I am just wondering if we all could work on it? I agree that this would be a great resource.

Posts 3834
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 24 2010 5:56 AM

Gerard G. Blankenbaker:

How is this done? Isn't there a tool to turn them in to PBB? I am just wondering if we all could work on it? I agree that this would be a great resource.

the tool is not available (yet) for L4, but there is for L3.

Posts 170
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 12 2010 1:49 PM

I think it would be great to work together on this one.

Posts 3834
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 11:28 AM

I just talked with Steve Jennings from College Press about getting the BST series into Logos (aka "Green Commentaries").  A few points to note:

1. There still is a copyright on them
  2. They are not planning to ever re-release them, so they are open to "something" happening with them.
  3. They would like to make something off of them, if possible, but he wasn't in a position to say how much.  They are a company that has been reduced to a staff of 3 full-timers.
  4. He expects that Logos would have to want to publish the Green series (of course), and is unsure of the market for them.

Here are my thoughts based on that conversation:

1. If not the whole series (it is kind of spotty), what if we constructed a list of the top 10 (or whatever) commentaries we'd like to see in Logos.  I, for one, would like Harold Fowler's 4-volumes on Matthew.
  2. Would Logos still be able to do community pricing if these are not public domain?  Perhaps College Press would not ask much for them anyway, given as we can download them for free off of their website. 
  3. If Logos cannot, or will not, publish this series, Steve suggested we could ask College Press directly about getting them into PBB format (which is currently NOT legally done, as they are still subject to copyright.
  4. We need to find out from Logos what THEY would be willing to do--Community Pricing, Pre-Pub, or . . . nothing.  And they in turn probably want to gauge the interest level (which I think would be best done via CP, if that is possible given that this series is not public domain.  Who should we contact?  Dan Pritchett? 
  5. I would think that for the right price, some of these would be quite marketable to the wider Logos community.  They are more than just commentaries, but, as textbooks, are quite helpful for teachers and students alike, whether for personal study, or for building lessons.

Your thoughts?

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 12:25 PM

Dan DeVilder:
If not the whole series (it is kind of spotty), what if we constructed a list of the top 10

NO. Stick with the whole series. No series is consistently of the same calibre throughout. Even series like NICNT or Yale Anchor Bible.  Single author series always have their strong & weak spots too. If we don't go for the whole set up front we will never get it. The people who really want it would buy the set.

Dan DeVilder:
Would Logos still be able to do community pricing if these are not public domain?  Perhaps College Press would not ask much for them anyway, given as we can download them for free off of their website.

Yes, Logos could if rights were obtainable. College Press wants these to be out there and used. I doubt the price would be high.

Dan DeVilder:
Who should we contact?  Dan Pritchett? 
 I just did. Let's wait and see....................................................... waiting.........................waiting...............Confused

Dan DeVilder:
are more than just commentaries, but, as textbooks, are quite helpful for teachers and students alike,

There are other "textbooks" available in Logos but none quite like these. The Foundation of Biblical Ministry (AM Bible Courseware) http://www.logos.com/products/details/2191 comes to mind but it requires enrollment and is a practical education. The College Press stuff lends itself well to classroom or self-directed study. I would love using them teaching a small group study. The outlines and chapter questions are well done.

Posts 3834
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2010 12:29 PM

Matthew C Jones:

Dan DeVilder:
If not the whole series (it is kind of spotty), what if we constructed a list of the top 10

NO. Stick with the whole series. No series is consistently of the same calibre throughout. Even series like NICNT or Yale Anchor Bible.  Single author series always have their strong & weak spots too. If we don't go for the whole set up front we will never get it. The people who really want it would buy the set.

the price goes up infinitely then (so to speak), and look at Barnes languishing. 

Matthew C Jones:
The outlines and chapter questions are well done.

What particular volumes do you especially like?

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 16 2010 9:40 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Matthew C Jones:
The outlines and chapter questions are well done.

What particular volumes do you especially like?

Genesis (bonus: great handling of higher criticism)
Psalms (delves into the Psalms on several different levels. )
Matthew
Revelation (by Strauss -because of the lesson format)
Everything by Don DeWelt (especially Acts)
Everything by Wilbur Fields (especially OT History - curiously no longer available in PDF)
Christian Doctrine by C.C. Crawford (looks loosely like a Church of Christ catechism.)

I still want everything in the set!

btw: Crawford as much as gave up copyrightr in his prologue to the Doctrine volumes 3&4, "This policy of always having to give “credit” for the use of anything put in print is being carried to ridiculous extremes today. Besides, no one has any copyright on divine truth, and “there is no new thing under the sun” (Eccl. 1:9) anyway." Well, maybe not given up his righs but he wants Christians to benefit from them. Smile

Posts 604
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2010 8:13 AM

Matthew C Jones:
Everything by Wilbur Fields (especially OT History - curiously no longer available in PDF)

Matthew, Wilbur Fields is already available in Logos. It was part of a package from College Press that was offered last fall or early winter. It IS nice to see it in Logos format.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2010 8:37 AM

Bill Shewmaker:
Wilbur Fields is already available in Logos

How embarrassing.    Embarrassed   I bought The College Press Biblical Studies Ciollection (6 vols.) http://www.logos.com/products/details/4520 on Pre-Pub. How embarrassing.                

HEY! I am so blessed I can't even keep up with it all. As nice as Mark Barnes' bookshelf bibliography app is, I've never scrolled down the whole thing nor read each individual title I've got in Portfolio. I haven't printed out a hard copy of a bibliography "collection" either.  But you would think I would remember buying a Pre-Pub of a favorite I've owned in hardback since the 1970's! Is that a sign of old age?

Thanks Bill. You've brightened up my day.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2010 7:07 PM

Dan DeVilder:
Would Logos still be able to do community pricing if these are not public domain?  Perhaps College Press would not ask much for them anyway, given as we can download them for free off of their website. 

I think this would be a good option for community pricing.

Posts 2
Gerard G. Blankenbaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 17 2010 10:31 PM

If they are free to download as pdf's then why would they care if they were converted to a Logos format?  They would still be for personal use. I am not sure why they would want to make a profit just because they become available in a different format?

Posts 3834
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 18 2010 2:55 PM

Gerard G. Blankenbaker:

If they are free to download as pdf's then why would they care if they were converted to a Logos format?  They would still be for personal use. I am not sure why they would want to make a profit just because they become available in a different format?

Gerard, that is certainly a good point to raise.  The impression I got was a) they are still technically copyrighted, and b) College Press is "pressed" as an organization, and in source of income would be helpful to them.  I understand they only have 3 full timers on staff, which is kind of hard to comprehend!

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 18 2010 6:41 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Gerard G. Blankenbaker:

Gerard, that is certainly a good point to raise.  The impression I got was a) they are still technically copyrighted, and b) College Press is "pressed" as an organization, and in source of income would be helpful to them.  I understand they only have 3 full timers on staff, which is kind of hard to comprehend!

And the people who did the work should be paid for their work.

Posts 7054
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 18 2010 7:15 PM

Great suggestion! I'd also love to see James Burton Coffman on Libronix and why not - The Gospel Advocate NT set - even though it's now considered way too simple and outdated.  But Coffman would definetly be a great buy! For now, I'm really learning to enjoy College Press OT collection - very practical.

My suggestion is to put Wendell Winkler's Sound Doctrine Series and the other Bible Study series by him and his sons.  Those would be very useful in logos format.  Another suggestion would be to put all of Wayne Jackson's books on Logos format.  Wayne Jackson runs a very helpful and insightful website that  you all might be familiar with -- www.christiancourier.com

Anyway, great suggestions!

Page 1 of 4 (62 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS