Bump. Big Smile

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2011 8:42 AM

Matthew C Jones:

Bump. Big Smile

your bump exactly one year from the last post.  Smile

I don't know what the chances are for this series, but who knows!  We don't really get to hear what Logos thinks about one series or the other that are suggested. . .

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2011 8:55 AM

Dan DeVilder:
I don't know what the chances are for this series, but who knows!

Chances would be better than most. The various authors did not prevent it from being posted for free in PDF format. College Press does not market these for a profit. The paper version is out of print so there would be no loss of sales. It seems obvious the copyright holders WANT this to be accessible.

Another plus in this equation is the set is already scanned in PDF format (done well, I might add) so converting to Logos file format should be easier than most projects.

The set is respected and desirable. I bet if it went into Community Pricing it would graduate rather quickly.

(How is that for another bump? Wink  )

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2011 1:00 PM

sounds like a Perspective Book Bump to me.. Big Smile

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2011 1:19 PM

Matthew C Jones:

Dan DeVilder:

Chances would be better than most. The various authors did not prevent it from being posted for free in PDF format. College Press does not market these for a profit. The paper version is out of print so there would be no loss of sales. It seems obvious the copyright holders WANT this to be accessible.

Another plus in this equation is the set is already scanned in PDF format (done well, I might add) so converting to Logos file format should be easier than most projects.

The set is respected and desirable. I bet if it went into Community Pricing it would graduate rather quickly.

Bumpin' right along with ya.  I agree with your analysis.  But i mean, what does Logos think about it?

Posts 643
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 23 2011 6:04 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Matthew C Jones:

Dan DeVilder:

Bumpin' right along with ya.  I agree with your analysis.  But i mean, what does Logos think about it?

I'll join in on this bump...I have the complete set in PDF (I used to have the complete set in paper, but gave it to a beginning preacher so he could have some solid material). In the PDF format, we can at least search its contents...just not quite like Logos would do. I still use it from time to time to teach from, also.

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 6:20 AM

i wonder if we could transfer the PDFs into a PBB series?

Posts 643
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 7:53 AM

Dan DeVilder:

I'll try some if you will!!! And I haven't even tried the PBB yet.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 7:59 AM

I have it in PDF and was hoping this is one of  the first things done in PBB .....

I want to retain the outlines, maps, charts & study questions.

I haven't done any tinkering with PBB beta and have only read the help file. My wife is better at Word 2010 than I & I am a slow typer Sad

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 10:20 AM

Dan DeVilder:

Because these works of art are still copyrighted, they cannot be converted to PBB without the written permission of the copyright holder.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 10:43 AM

tom collinge:

Dan DeVilder:

Because these works of art are still copyrighted, they cannot be converted to PBB without the written permission of the copyright holder.

You are right.  We can be hopeful that permission will not be as difficult to obtain as usual since College Press has made these works available online for free already. But it still must be done legally. 

If one wants to avoid the copyright jungle for their first PBB experiment, go grab a little book from the 1880's and give it a go. A good scanner, OCR software and LibreOffice can get it done without major headaches.  Surely there are some poets out there who would share a collection in PBB.....

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 15 2011 9:32 AM

sigh, i don't feel I have time to try that right now, but I had thought about it. \

I thought the Green series was out of copyright.  I guess I just assumed because they were downloadable for free.  And, if I knew they were out of copyright, then obviously I forgot. Smile

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2011 2:20 AM

Dan DeVilder:
I thought the Green series was out of copyright.  I guess I just assumed because they were downloadable for free.  And, if I knew they were out of copyright, then obviously I forgot. Smile

I still think College Press would be easier than most to get permission from. I was looking at the PDF files and they are locked as read only. I have Adobe Acrobat Pro and know how to change the settings but I thought CP locked them for a reason. I will try to find out if permission can be obtained. They are still rebuilding the tornado damage in Joplin. The Bible college got hit. I don't know about the College Press offices.

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2011 6:39 AM

Super Tramp:

Dan DeVilder:

I still think College Press would be easier than most to get permission from. I was looking at the PDF files and they are locked as read only. I have Adobe Acrobat Pro and know how to change the settings but I thought CP locked them for a reason. I will try to find out if permission can be obtained. They are still rebuilding the tornado damage in Joplin. The Bible college got hit. I don't know about the College Press offices.

I'd be interested in knowing what you find out.  I remember a couple years ago talking with one of their guys.  He seemed open to the idea, but I seem to remember him leaving the ball in Logos' court.  I was not asking about PBB, however, back then.  I also remember they had like 1.5 full time employees, which seemed weird to me.  So, who knows how long it might take, given recent troubles.  I sure would like Matthew in PBB.

Posts 643
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2011 9:32 AM

Super Tramp:
The Bible college got hit. I don't know about the College Press offices.

Super Tramp, not sure where you got your information, but the college did NOT get hit. They have offered their dorms as housing relief for several families this summer. FEMA was using part of their parking lot to do some staging for relief efforts. Their chapel is being used by one of the local churches that was heavily damaged, but the college did NOT get hit. Don't mean to sound antagonistic, but need to "set the record straight". AND I don't think that CP offices were affected either.

Posts 17
Scott Chambers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2011 10:08 AM

I agree that would be a good addition. There is also a series from Standard Publishing entitles the "Standard Bible Studies" which are very practical and applicable commentaries. This is one out of print as well but would be a welcome addition to our logos library.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2011 10:40 AM

Bill Shewmaker:

Super Tramp:
The Bible college got hit. I don't know about the College Press offices.

Super Tramp, not sure where you got your information, but the college did NOT get hit. They have offered their dorms as housing relief for several families this summer. FEMA was using part of their parking lot to do some staging for relief efforts. Their chapel is being used by one of the local churches that was heavily damaged, but the college did NOT get hit. Don't mean to sound antagonistic, but need to "set the record straight". AND I don't think that CP offices were affected either.

Thank you for correcting me. I was told by a third party (no one at the campus) that the good folk at Ozark are busy with repair and rebuilding efforts from the tornado's aftermath. Maybe the grapevine corrupted the communication.  I assumed this meant they were victims. I now see how they can be busy being rescuers for others.

The context of my conversation was about another project requiring files in the Ozark Christian College library.  I decided to wait a few months due to the report of their "busy-ness".  My project is not as important as what they are doing. I don't want to get in the way.

It is good of you to set the record straight. Thanks again. Embarrassed

Posts 643
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 16 2011 3:02 PM

Super Tramp:
I decided to wait a few months due to the report of their "busy-ness". 

Students will begin moving back in this weekend. RA's etc., are already there. The response of the church to the disaster in Joplin really has the Fed's wondering how it could be accomplished so quickly (as opposed to their "rapid response teams). Some of the Staff and Faculty were affected by the tornado and are now getting ready for a new school year. It may take several months (or years) for "normalcy" to return.

Posts 251
Rod | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 4:57 PM

Super Tramp:
There was a series in the 70's published by College Press (Joplin, MO) called The Bible Study Textbook Series.. It  featured quite a few good authors. Jack Cottrell is one of those authors that already appears in some Libronix releases.

I am assuming that this new pre-pub is the set you were talking about.

My question - is it worth the price?  It certainly seems reasonable (but maybe not if you can get the pdf's for no cost).

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 5:24 PM

Taxee:

Super Tramp:
There was a series in the 70's published by College Press (Joplin, MO) called The Bible Study Textbook Series.. It  featured quite a few good authors. Jack Cottrell is one of those authors that already appears in some Libronix releases.

I am assuming that this new pre-pub is the set you were talking about.

My question - is it worth the price?  It certainly seems reasonable (but maybe not if you can get the pdf's for no cost).

I just looked at the screen prints; yes they are the same.

Is it worth the price - this something that you need to make the decision about.

Page 2 of 4 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS